Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons you have learned building on the island
Mella, I thought I could save 50% by shipping it over myself but haven't compared prices yet. The only way to go is post & pier. The house we are building is about 36 inches off the ground, High enough to keep the wood dry and catch the trade winds and the view is nice.

Lee,
Have you --or anyone else-- thought of building with steel post and beam? I also thought that using the composite material for deck would be a good way to go, especially since I watch my deck here in CA age year to year.

Thoughts?

april
april
We, at Castleblock, have been doing a lot of steel post and beam. Mostly using galvanized tube steel welded on site.
Steel beams are hollow and you get more strangth for less size and weight than wood. The hot dipped galvanization holds up real well.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
hi rob i will be building in opihikao and will be using post and beam, i would like some more info on steel post and beam.does any body build with steel studs and rafters. i have seen some builders on the main land frame the whole house with steel studs and rafters,any input will help out.mahalo

Thought I'd bring this forward for your updates if any on this thinking.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA