Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
I would love to see it streaking across the sky at night in a giant fireball, crashing down right in the middle of that UFO landing pad in Kalapana.

The Tiangong-1 is approximately 165 km above earth, (12:30 pm Saturday) and will begin re-entry at about 100 km.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Not trying to scare anyone, but the current re-entry window is 09:00 to 23:00 HST on Sunday April 1st. At around 11:00 HST on Sunday Tiangong-1 is due to pass almost directly overhead Puna...
Sweet! It's happening!

Wait! Is this an April Fool's Day joke?!
No time for an April 1st joke post this year I'm afraid - busy on the mainland, and yes, it really is due to pass almost overhead around 11 am on Sunday:

https://goo.gl/EyHyLu

The chances of it hitting the Kalapana spaceport are likely billions to one against, but not impossible!
It could also hit the lot located at the north corner of Mamo and Kam Avenue and cause combustion. Good thing they took down the tent on that property.
Updated re-entry time for the Tiangong-1 is today, April 1st, between noon and 4 pm HST.
As TomK noted, the Chinese space station will pass over Puna at 11 am this morning, which if predictions hold will be one of it's final orbits. Subsequent passes will be a safe distance away from the islands.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
At 11:05 this morning, the Tiangong-1 will be almost directly overhead, it's path just slightly north of Puna.
We probably won't see it, but just in case the orbit deteriorates faster than expected, look to the northwest at 11:03 AM, overhead at 11:05 AM, then to the southeast at 11:08 AM. It will only be about 85 miles above us as it passes.

If the Tiangong-1 gets beyond Hawaii on this orbit, we should be in the clear when it does re-enter the atmosphere.

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
Darn, didn't see a thing. Unless it looked like a big fluffy cloud...
didn't see a thing

I think in the case of space junk weighing in at several tons and moving at thousands of miles per hour, no views is good views.

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms