Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
I hope it doesn't travel down to Leilani Estates or my lot will be hard to build on.

i wonder if any of the remaining homes in the royal gardens?(not sure of the correct subd) were effected from this new fissure, from what a friend told be before theres only three remaining buildings left in the subdivision....hopefully everyone there is okay.

From southern Hawaiian Acres, we can see the ominous red glow in the clouds when the conditions are right. The flow is only 4 miles or so to the ssw. From studying the topographic maps, my prediction is the flow will continue south of us, through the forest reserve, about in the same direction as the 1986 flow, but who knows? People are amazingly quiet about this.

Here comes Pele!

Aloha,
Benjamin

Yeah, probably because if it don't stop, and continues in its current direction, North east, it will eventually cross the the highway, presumably toward the southern edge of HPP. Last report of its speed, a few days ago, was about 60 feet an hour. I think it may have slowed down a bit since then. Still, I think at that speed it would be only 'like' three weeks till crossing the highway.. Perhaps it will turn and go south, finish off royal gardens.. Erk, nobody wins.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/ar...0801_L.jpg

Edited by - Jeffhale on 08/05/2007 13:18:17
Ok....so that would probably take us out.....ok then......

In the early nineties, when 200 or so houses were destroyed in Kalapana, it's interesting that the houses lost were mainly the folks who were insured. Insurance companies refused to pay anything unless a home burned. Many people had no choice but to watch as lava slowly approached their property and inundated their houses. Those without insurance payed a somewhat reasonable sum ($10,000 ?) to have their homes moved. I always felt this was terribly stupid of the insurance industry, as most people could have happily bought new land and moved their homes for a fraction of the total loss payout. Has this situation changed in the decade following Kalapana's destruction?

Glen, it hasn't changed, from what insurers have explained to me. There is no such thing as lava hazard insurance.

Homeowners' insurance covers loss to the structure due to fire and windstorm (also theft and vandalism). Lava is just a form of fire to the insurance co.

Maybe the people should have had "unknown" criminals "steal" their homes ... ;-)

In most cases of fire threat, there isn't time to move the house, maybe some personal belongings. For example, in California, in case of a wildfire approaching, it's a wait and see which way it comes and whether it can be controlled situation.

It would indeed be economically smart for insurers to have a special provision for moving structures when a fire is slow and steady enough to where the house can be moved and they can be fairly sure it won't be brought under "control" by firefighters.

I'm Glen. He's Greg.

On my flight to hilo by ATA i had a fascinating conversation with my seatmate who was from Santa Rosa, ca. she told me that she is one of the last three owners of property at royal gardens and that occassionally the perimeter of her gardens get burnt with the ever changing lava conditions.....hopefully nothing drammatically has happened to the last three structures and the inhabitants....she told me she only goes there 1-2 times yearly for monthly long stays and the other two live there year round, one actually has a b&b set up and helicopters his guests in....talk about living life on the edge.

I was planning on visiting the last time, but afterviewing the lavaflow got way off course and didn't want to take another hour trip uphill to visit the subdivision late into the evening. Hopefully someone is checking in on them since cell phone service is pretty spotty in that area.

noel

sorry Glen and Greg for the name confusion!

I know a couple who own in Royal Gardens whose house did not burn -- and they do not live there, nor have even been to it since they left it way back when. So they must not be one of the "three" -- as they live on island but not there.