Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundup (cancer causing substance) cases underway
you make this silly stuff up

glinda,
I noted:
* There is a court case about Roundup & cancer
* There is concern and fear over news reports about the Roundup court cases (read previous 34 pages)
* A news article stated all herbicides & pesticides should be banned
* People spilled undiluted Roundup on themselves and later developed cancer
* Some believe all people exposed to any concentration of Roundup will develop cancer

What did I make up glinda?
Which of those statements is silly?

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. - Albert Einstein
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Goats will temporarily replace Roundup and weed wackers around Hilo Soccer Fields. EW, is that you singing in the distance, “All we are saying, is give goats a chance?”

On July 16 the Department of Parks and Recreation will test a pilot project that utilizes goats instead of herbicides to clear brush near the Hilo Soccer Fields.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/07/0...-munchers/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
You may say he’s a dreamer, but he’s not the only one.
Goats are not native to Hawaii, so I'm sure someone will complain.
Goats will temporarily replace Roundup and weed wackers around Hilo Soccer Fields. EW, is that you singing in the distance, “All we are saying, is give goats a chance?”

Not me singing there but this is a step in the right direction and some good news even if not everyone realizes it.
More on goats for weed control from HNN:

HILO, Hawaii (AP) - Big Island officials plan to employ a group of goats to keep city spaces free of overgrowth.

Employ? If the goats are employed by the County I hope they expand the program into other departments. I’ve owned goats in the past, and they worked harder and smarter than almost any County worker I’ve interacted with. An excellent idea as far as I’m concerned.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/07/08...-whackers/

Also:
The county already works with an outside group to reduce the use of pesticides in city parks.
Does anyone know more about this?
My experience is that goats love ornamentals, not so much weeds. Goats for weed control, another rural legend.
Goats poop.
They sure do! Yup, and the goat poop is good for the earth and trees. Tonight on KITV news at 6 I saw a pic of the area they intend to use the goats and looks like lots of tall grass under the Banyan trees in the area between the state building and the soccer fields.

Goats can be picky as far as what weeds they like to eat but tall grass is on their menu.
I don't think goats are as fond of grass as many people assume. They will eat it, but after all other choices are exhausted. Sheep on the other hand eat grass.

In my experience I have seen goats used to clear forest. My next door neighbor in the farm lots (Volcano) would fence off a few acres at a time of the forest and introduce goats that would eat everything but the grass, and as such clear the forest for cattle grazing. If they are left in the same pasture and all other food sources are exhausted, they'll eat the grass.

And of course the term grass covers a lot of plants. And, my statement doesn't cover them all. It's just based on personal observation, nothing definitive.