Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Fourth of July
This is our first summer here---can anyone tell us where is the best family-friendly July Fourth festivities? Where is the best place to go to watch fireworks? Thanks in advance, Anyone!
Backyard?

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
I like to go downtown Hilo -- they set them off from Coconut Island. You are very close to them from Liliokalani Park and it's a festive atmosphere before fireworks time. Last year, though, it poured just as the fireworks began, and stopped just as they ended. So bring umbrellas!
The best place in my opinion is the fireworks display at the Queen’s MarketPlace in Waikaloa on the Kona side.

"Wednesday July 04, 2012
Queens' MarketPlace

11am-9:30pm
This fun-filled event at Queens’ MarketPlace will feature great entertainment, balloon sculpting by Balloon Monsoon, popcorn, cotton candy, the Zoo Choo, and lots of great family fun all day long, culminating with a spectacular fireworks display over Waikoloa Bowl at Queens’ Gardens. The fun begins at 11:00 am and continues throughout the day until the 8:00pm fireworks extravaganza. Wind down after the fireworks with relaxing music from Full Circle until 9:30pm. All proceeds benefit The Food Basket, Hawaii Island’s Food Bank. Call 808-886-8822 for more information."

Plus your pretty much guaranteed not to have any rain!
What a great question! I can plan a fun trip on the 4rth.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
There's also the Hilo Bay BBQ Cookoff competition as a day event for 2-3 days.

A good island wide event calendar is at Konaweb.
www.konaweb.com
I suggest Kona now that the County has eliminated any portable tarps/shelters. It usually always rains and it is just not fun anymore to be soaking wet or conversely huddled under one large tarp tent with a ton of people.

A few years ago it was fun, now I would totally opt for Kona side.
It does usually rain. I imagine that's why Hilo hasn't burned down on the 4th yet. When I lived in Waiakea, the home fireworks were ... intense.
Mahalo, Everyone! I was hoping there would be something going on in Pahoa....maybe we will drive up to Volcano instead. Thanks anyway for all the sugestions.
Last year I watched the fireworks from the park. A tree shielded me from the drizzle and I had a good view of the fireworks. I didn't get wet and the coquis never stopped their chirping throughout the BOOMS.

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com