Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Drafter is Janelle at Honsador. She is an independent so it has nothing to do with them as far as materials, etc... goes, but her office is in their buildig in Hilo on Railroad Ave. Email me privately for specifics (pslamont@yahoo.com) but I can tell you I am extremely happy with her work so far. We did the first draft today, discussed it for about 45 minutes with pencil in hand and she will have the next draft of the prelims for me in one week. Once I have approved the preliminary design she will do the full set of plans. What a great day!!!

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Managed to get the mandevillea in at the fenceline today between showers. The leaves are deep, dark green ad the flowers are pink and trumpet like. The vines should climb all over the fence... if it isn't too wet up here for them. We should know in a few weeks. If they do well, I will complete the entire fenceline in them.

Ed mowed a pathway/road from our homesite to the back of the property. Took the jeep 4-wheeling along it... wow! I saw more of my land than I have ever seen so far. It is just so wonderful! Had to have traveled about 1500 feet or more. Will set the odometer next time and measure.

Signs of the pigs again. Looks to be one large boar, some females and 20 keikei. Mmmmm..... gotta build an imu fast!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam !!! Pig hunting is my "thing". I'm curious about what you said in that you saw "signs" of the pigs ?? Also, Your gonna need a "good" fence on that orchard to keep them away from the "drops". Pigs will "dig" and make a mess of the soil and any vegatable gardens you may plant. Please let me know if you need any help with "controlling the population". I will be over in late Jan. 2005. Anyways, "peace and pork chops"
Nate: What I saw was pig poop and an area where the 6 foot tall grass was swirled and smashed like a bunch of pigs had been there. What my ranch hand saw was a large male/boar with tusks, several females and about 15 keikie... Contact me when you are here in January and we'll get you out hunting them!

As for progress, Ed got the 30 holes for the fruit trees dug today plus more fence posts set. Wow.... guess I better get going.. however, even Pammie needds to play, so I am off to Kona to go scuba diving in the morning. Ed will work on mechanical stuff. Oh, what fun for him. Maybe I can bring back some Lobster or fish or something... wheeeee. Keep you posted.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Oh Pam, What a cruel woman you are!!! I can’t say how jealous I am!
Have fun in Kona.
David D

Pam !!!!
"Sugar pie...put a ribbon on that invite and call it my X-mas present". I have the biggest smile on my face right now...thanks for the uplift. You sure are putting that "ranch hand" to work. I hope he dug the holes with a power auger or back hoe. I hope you have a happy hollidays and as always I wish you luck in your adventure. Thanks again
Drama!!!
Went to Kona for some Scuba time... and bought a small tralier at Lowes. There was a three trip rotation to Wal Mart to get the proper hitch, electrical adapter and such to be able to bring the trailer home. Fortunately they are just across the street from one another. Lowes carries hitches and adapters, just not a wide enough variety to get what I needed.

I used the trailer today to pick up the 30 trees for the orchard. YAY... Plant It Hawaii is really top notch. However they don't take credit cards; cash or checks only, so that took a couple trips to satisfy everyone's needs.

The ranch hand is out with the flu, so I lifted and hoisted all those trees myself into the carport/tent we have out in the pasture. Then I dragged myself to Frank Battaglia's place in Fern Acres to check out his chipper/shreader. On my way back I lost the bolt that holds the ball onto the trailer hitch. It popped apart. The trailer began to swing from side to side as it was suspended from the safety chains only, ripped off the electrical adapter, got it wet, shorted out what I hope is some fuses, lost my interior and tail lights.... I am darned lucky no one was hurt. By the way, I was the one who assembled the trailer hitch, so it is my own fault; no one else is to blame.

So tomorrow the plan is to solve what I hope is the fuse problem, repair the trailer hitch, find the closest quarry and buy a load of cinder, plant and fertilize the trees, head down to Home Depot and buy some plywood plus find some pallets to put a floor into that carport/tent. All that and be ready for my first Hawaiian Xmas, beginning at 5 pm, bringing a side dish to share and gifts for the children!

WONDER WOMAN, where is my Wonder Woman suit?

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam, Your lucky that the trailer didn't break loose and kill someone. The same thing happened to me with two jet ski's in tow on the 5 freeway. I learned a valuable lesson that day, Always bring two "trailer balls" and chain the trailer to the tow bar. Anyways, I hope all is well with the tree planting and tell my little piggie friends I miss them and I hope to see them soon.
Nate: I was very lucky no one was hurt. I did have two chains connecting the trailer for safety. It is all fixed now.

We got half the orchard planted this morning. Ed was tired and so was I. He took a break and I got little Nick and came home for a warm lunch and hot shower. Lunch is cooking now.

We are very lucky that it is raining today. Even though it is hard to work in, the trees will set in nicely. We bought planting mix, dug out tons of soil from a ledge in a pasture, mixed them with a variety of my "secret" blend of fertilizers and it's all good. I took a shower so I am hoping Nick willt take a nap after lunch and that Ed will get the rest of the plants planted. That would be great for me!! Lazy woman, old woman.... happy woman!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
We are so close to X-mas now and to think I have not done "one lick" of shopping yet. Shopping is no fun without the pressure of the last minute on your back. I need to plant some trees on my place in the near future as well. I was wondering if you might hook me up with your wholesale contact for the trees ? You always have to be on the look out for ways to save money you know. At what point does it become an "orchard" and not just "Pam" having alot of trees ? What types of trees did you end up getting in the long run. I wonder about how apples would do ? I must plant some mangos though soon. I think I told you before but I plan on lining the property frontage with palms. I'm not sure what type of palms but I want them to be "big honkers". Your whole road dilema has me thinking about my "road". The new shipping company will not want to ship empty space so i figure that I can ship farm implements at a better rate than with Matson to work on my "road". I gotta tell you, I'm not spending 13g's on a "road". I can get "grader" cheaper than that and do the work myself with the help of hired hands. Did you have to have "blueprints" for the road to be built for the county?? I swear they need to ease up on the permiting process there. Anyhows, keep us updated and smiling.