Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dengue fever could be here to stay
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...eaches-136

Just 14 to go!
"The idea of the release of a modified male to cause a collapse in the breeding cycle of an insect is not new here. As far back as the 80s the Department of Ag was promoting the use of sterilized male fruit flies to eradicate the Medfly. As attractive as it all sounds I do not think it is a cure all. Note that the Medfly is still with us. "

Unlike those primitive attempts that used radiation trying to find that magic ground between no effect / sterilization / wounded or dead, and then picking out the 'sterilized winners' meticulously by hand with tiny little forceps, all the trials with GMO mosquitoes have shown drastic population collapses of the target mosquito.

There ARE legitimate concerns on using this technology. For example, if you decimate a species that transmit disease X and that causes a competing mosquito species that transmit disease Y (malaria) to explode in population due to no competition, then the overall experiment will have mixed results. Trading a vector with one disease for a vector with a WORSE disease.... probably not a great idea.

Scientists have to tread on this one lightly. In most areas, the only type of mosquitoes that would be considered for localized extinction would be those that were imported. The endemic mosquitoes have an important place in the food chain and getting rid of them could have catastrophic results on the ecosystem. Anybody who has ever owned a Beta fish and fed them blood worms (freeze dried mosquito larvae) have a grade-school exposure to this.

But, as far as I know, ALL mosquito species were introduced to Hawaii accidentally by humans, and they have had only catastrophic effects o the ecosystem.

Eradicate them. ALL OF THEM.
But, as far as I know, ALL mosquito species were introduced to Hawaii accidentally by humans, and they have had only catastrophic effects o the ecosystem.

Eradicate them. ALL OF THEM.

-------

Y E S.

I'm thrilled to say we've got a retired physicist who just started giving dengue talks on the Puna coast, I went to a small invite only one yesterday, and it appears he has done his research and has a solution, one that has been used successfully in many countries.

We make our own traps, like the ones they sell at home depo, which interestingly is patented by the Navy who have given the rights to only one company to manufacture and sell them, but these are easily made at home. Besides there are not enough coming to the island to do the trick. You need 4 to 10 traps at each house, under the eaves, each will last a month before you fix it up again. Can put them on the porch or in the house too.

I think he will be in Seaview on Saturday. He has tons of great info, such as the carrier mosquitos have adapted to humans and primarily lay their eggs in containers on or near a residence. We don't need to worry so much about all the empty properties. Says this has successfully wiped out 90% of mosquitos which can put an end to a dengue break out.

I thought he was with the health dept but someone told me after his talk and trap instruction he's doing this independently. Then a guy who introduced himself with the health dept spoke after the physicist .

I've got his email address from an instruction sheet he passed out, if anyone wants I'll contact him about more meeting or how to get the info out.
Is this the yeast and sugar trap? I only got gnats in mine......
quote:
Originally posted by eigoya

Is this the yeast and sugar trap? I only got gnats in mine......

Nope. Compost or decaying leaves and such with boric acid in the water, a piece of cloth or thick paper as a walkway for the mosquitos with a pyretherin derivative product sprinkled or sprayed on such as 1/4 tsp of Terro Ant Dust. The mosquitos prefer a black container, spray it or cover with black plastic from garbage bags.

Lots of gnats lately, after mowing the yard yesterday there were several clouds of them. That was a first.
Hey Punatic, That retired Physicist is our neighbor and we've been testing those traps with noticeable difference around the neighborhood. Anyway, here's a link to that flyer that you are talking about. Hope it helps everyone out!
http://eviloctopus.com/mosquitotrap_v3.pdf

Also, his next talk is at Seaview tomorrow morning if anyone is interested in attending. not sure as to the time.
So I went hunting today.... in preparation I ate a clove of raw garlic in the morning. We don't have a lot of mosquitoes on our property (eliminated all known standing water long ago) but before I went out I put two mosquito coil repellents on (one on each wrist), then I hosed myself off with 98 percent DEET.

I was a walking, stinking, mosquito-free zone. Or so I thought. I have at least 3 mosquito bites. About one for every hour I was out.

So the whole "taking precautions" thing doesn't really work, unless you never go outside.

Thanks Eviloctopus, Van will be at the Seaview Pavilion (upper park) at 11 tomorrow (Sunday) to present how to make the traps. Bring plastic containers such as large yogurt containers to make them.

Just livin the dream
Just livin the dream
http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-news/what-dengue

Apparently visitors aren't getting any information from the rental car counter or hotel front desk; they're finding out later, by word of mouth.

After all, only 17 "confirmed" cases involved tourists, and those people had to go "off the beaten path" instead of staying in a nice clean resort.