Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential For Giant Tsunami
I have no doubt there is "potential" for devastating tsunamis in Hilo Bay. But no more "potential" than the potential for major earthquakes in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles. It just strikes me that these cities carry on and push forward in the very real threat of devastation down the line, figuring "well, it's going to hit one of these days, but maybe I'll get in and out before that happens" while Hilo people, for the most part, say "I can't possibly build there, we're bound to get hit." Not saying one is better or worse in terms of mindset, and of course it depends on timing, but just noting the difference.

So yes, there was major damage in 1960, but if anyone had built a waterfront restaurant/bar in Hilo in 1961, they would have had over 50 years now of almost no real competition, and would - perhaps, with good management - be rich enough for them and their heirs to live their lives in comfort.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
The positive side for the megatsunami is that it's likely 10's of thousands of years in the future. By then, Loihi will be an Island. The cascadia fault is overdue for a big earthquake on a 250 year cycle, so it could happen any time. The last one was worthy of recording in Japan in 1700 and passed down in oral history by pacific northwest First Nations people. It could cause a bigger tsunami than is recorded down on Coconut Island.

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
HOPTE,

After the last 3? tsunami threats to Hawaii petered out, we tend to get complacent, which is not a good thing! Thank you for the NPR article!

Tsunami animation from NOAA of the Aril 1 1946 Aleution Islands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_RK1Z13Bk&feature=youtu.be

http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
list of earthquakes in the past 24 hours. (if location is not shown, drag the map to the region)
Expect a building code enhancement requiring all structures to be able to withstand being submerged by up to 100 feet of water moving at up to 10 meters per second without damage to the structure or harm to the occupants. Otherwise, the geniuses at the HI State Supreme Court say the state is liable for all damages due to dictating inferior building standards.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Any records of the huge tsunami that struck Hawaii in 1700?

Looks like it was from a big quake on the west coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeQhHs3m_8

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
quote:
Originally posted by PauHana

"Then again, if an asteroid were to fall into the Pacific, the summits of Maunas Kea and Loa might be the only possible sources of refuge.
Although, it might be a bit hard to hang on as the shock wave blew through."

Oh great! Now they will change the building code requirements to include an asteroid safe room.

BUAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAA!!! Cracked me up!!! Until they actually write it in there...

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
submerged by up to 100 feet of water moving at up to 10 meters per second

Funny thing, I'm sure they would write the code addendum exactly this way -- by using two different systems of measurement, it's trivial to "fail inspection" if the conversion isn't exactly right...