Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundup (cancer causing substance) cases underway
I wish people would stop using the word "proof" or "proves" when it comes to science. That's for mathematicians and courts, but you can't "prove" anything in science.
Are you saying the court's decision in this case "proves" something?
No, I'm not, that's why I put the word in apostrophes. Courts and mathematicians use the word proof, good scientists don't. I can give you a proof of Newton's laws as they are mathematical, but we now know they don't apply in certain situations. It's still a "proof" though. Courts use the word a little more loosely and although I'm sure in most cases they probably get things right, I'm sure you're aware of cases where the "proof" was shown to be wrong, therefore it wasn't really proof.
Understood, except....apostrophes?
OK, quotation marks.
Regardless of whether "proof" is just a word or an actual condition, the case was tried and Monsanto lost. I find this strange. Monsanto has some of the best lawyers money can buy and they usually have their way in court. I'm sure they presented all of the arguments that have been shared in this forum and then some. How did they lose?

The article said that it is unlikely that they will appeal, but I don't believe it. Too much at stake, and they have too much money to worry about a measly 25 mil per year in interest.
Civil suits can be somewhat of a popularity contest/witch hunt. The term proof is tossed about without any real understanding of the term.
"the case was tried and Monsanto lost. I find this strange. Monsanto has some of the best lawyers money can buy and they usually have their way in court. I'm sure they presented all of the arguments that have been shared in this forum and then some. How did they lose?"

Yes Monsanto has all the money and lawyers, how did they lose?

You mean their lawyers weren't able to manipulate the jury, fluster the witnesses in cross-examination and slither their slimy ways into the results of this case?

Score one for the people.

This is historical and groundbreaking. Expect many more cases like this to follow. Then expect announcements by our government maybe one day in the future like: gosh maybe someday we should do something about this Roundup on our store shelves that people overuse and think is so safe? Even if it's just adding more warnings on the label or imposing some sort of regulation for mass cooperate use or highway side spraying.

It's about time. I pray the plaintiffs cash winnings helps in his treatments and is some sort of restitution for all his suffering.
On the whole this is a loss for society because there isn't the data to back it up. I do expect more of the same but I don't consider it justice or an example of common sense prevailing.
“Slither their slimy ways”
It’s all about emotion, that’s what won over a jury of laymen, it has nothing to do with facts. I’m confident the appeal will sort this out.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45154362