Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundup (cancer causing substance) cases underway
PaulW - I saw no evidence presented at the trial to indicate Roundup is dangerous.

If you want to eat Roundup then that’s great but please don’t try to impose your decisions on others. (see what I did there Wink

Just label food and let people make their own choices (not just a RoundUp issue). Or to put it a more palatable way for some, let the market decide.
Roundup is now routinely sprayed directly on a host of non-GMO crops

If you spray Round Up, a broad spectrum herbicide, which means it kills almost everything it touches, on almost anything EXCEPT GMO crops specifically developed to survive the application of Round Up, you will kill those plants. For instance if you spray:

non-GMO crops, wheat, barley, oats, canola, flax, peas, lentils, soybeans, dry beans and sugar cane.

directly as you stated, you will have destroyed your crop. Not a very effective strategy for a farmer.

“We have knowledge that beyond the border there is a wonderful beauty, a space for beauty, for greatness […] if perhaps you can believe in it, if you have such an experience, your life is a little bit changed.” - László Krasznahorkai
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Monsanto also encouraged farmers to use Roundup as a dessicant, to dry out all of their crops so they could harvest them faster. So Roundup is now routinely sprayed directly on a host of non-GMO crops, including wheat, barley, oats, canola, flax, peas, lentils, soybeans, dry beans and sugar cane.

https://www.ecowatch.com/15-health-probl...02128.html
Monsanto also encouraged farmers to use Roundup as a dessicant, so they could harvest them faster.

This is different than the use of Round Up on Round Up ready crops. Round Up ready crops are definitely sprayed with the herbicide. The crops you list might be sprayed, in odd instances when it's a wet autumn, or in the case of sugar cane, to kill the crop at a specific time of year when they want to harvest, and burn the dry leaves. It's not standard practice for most of the crops you listed.

But again, if you eat:

wheat, barley, oats, canola, flax, peas, lentils, soybeans, dry beans and sugar cane

and want to make sure it hasn't been sprayed with Round Up, buy organic. You know that it's untouched by Round Up (as you requested), because it's clearly labeled :
ORGANIC

“We have knowledge that beyond the border there is a wonderful beauty, a space for beauty, for greatness […] if perhaps you can believe in it, if you have such an experience, your life is a little bit changed.” - László Krasznahorkai
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Should we label for everything for which there is no evidence of any danger, or just some things?
If you are consuming it, why would you not want to know what it is? Are you really so confident in FDA trials or do I need to list out the numerous failures to protect the public? Having assisted with FDA submissions, I've seen firsthand the information games played by the industry. More information never hurts (the public).
To use the same old example again, what if someone posts something on facebook saying that corn harvested on a Wednesday gives you cancer and it goes viral. Should we then label everything with the day it was harvested "just to be safe" or should we look at the (lack of) evidence first and then decide what goes on an increasingly overloaded and unread label?

Yes, of course, don't trust the FDA, don't trust government, don't trust evil scientists, put your trust in Twitter instead.
It's a beautiful day, I hope EW doesn't get sunstroke pulling up all those weeds. I'm going to the store to buy some incredibly cheap and safe food.
why would you not want to know what it is?

I agree, I prefer to see ingredients listed.
My point was that organic products sprayed with Rotenone or Pyrethrin don't list those pesticides on the label, so labeling a product as sprayed with Round Up would be an exception to currant practice. Labeling the method of genetic heritage would be a departure too, as food is not currently listed as a hybrid, or non-hybrid, or original species. Although again, I'm not completely against a GMO label.

My main point is that most food is ALREADY labeled - - if it says ORGANIC it's Round Up free. So if that's important to a consumer, and until the labels say "Contains GMO Product" there is a way to identify your purchases in the meantime.

How much Roundup would you have eat to think someone posting something on FB is analogous to the entire population being fed food without proper labeling?