Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roundup (cancer causing substance) cases underway
Apropos of this "discussion", today's Democracy Now devotes much of the hour to the recent ruling against Monsanto. They interview the lawyer representing the plaintiff. Interestingly, there appears to be evidence that (a) Monsanto knew Roundup had adverse health effects in humans and actively worked to downplay the risk, and (b) workers at the FDA helped to squash certain studies (that Monsanto was uncomfortable with) of glyphosate from even being started. Here's a link to the show - you can skip to the relevant sections if you'd rather not watch the whole hour:
https://www.democracynow.org/shows/2018/8/14

edited to fix link formatting
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

Duh open-d. None of us are going to make it out of here alive. Yup, you aren't the first one to help me realize this. Thanks for the reminder though.

Me posting my thoughts, opinions, feelings, beliefs are one thing but the people in power to make those changes is something else entirely.

Don't get me wrong, if I were king-of-the-world, I would ban the hell out of Roundup. I would also provide free superb health-care for every individual and I would bring back the guillotine as a form of capital punishment. It would be for all those heinous offences, rape, murder, mass terrorism etc. But, I did say IF.

If a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's a$s every time it jumped.

Have another beautiful day. Aloha!

Free health care doesn't exist.

Doctors pay to got to medical school, and get paid to practice in buildings for which rent, mortgages and taxes, electricity, gas, janitorial etc., all must be paid for. Ditto's nurses, resp and x-ray tech etc., etc., etc., NONE of that is Free.

If you were the King of the world and banned my Roundup, well, the throne would soon be occupied by a different tush. But not to worry, there is no such thing as King of the world, either.[Big Grin][Big Grin]

I neither defend or condemn Monsanto, and have no reason to. They make stuff, and I use some of it. I do believe I am in more, much more danger of contracting cancer from the sunlight I am exposed to than the Roundup someone sprayed on some plants to kill them.

There once was an EPA head who did a study on DDT and found it harmless except to mosquitos. For mosquito-control it is par-excellance.

Well, another director came in, phonied up a study saying it was killing birds and banned it. Since then, untold millions of people have DIED, repeat DIED, i.e. achieved the state of KAPUT, from mossy-born diseases that wouldn't have had to die had some jackball not phonied up a study to show it was killing all the birds, which of course, it wasn't, hasn't and won't.

I suspect you support that sort of thing, too.

And with that said, I say to you:

Have another beautiful day. Aloha!
another director came in, phonied up a study saying it was killing birds and banned it.

DDT does not kill birds outright, so the above comment is technically correct. What DDT does is thin the shells of bird eggs so they are not able to hatch. DDT kills eggs.

The insidious aspect of this phenomenon is that large concentrations of chlorinated hydrocarbons do not usually kill the bird outright. Rather, DDT and its relatives alter the bird's calcium metabolism in a way that results in thin eggshells.
https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordb...Birds.html

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” President Donald J. Trump 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

another director came in, phonied up a study saying it was killing birds and banned it.

DDT does not kill birds outright, so the above comment is technically correct. What DDT does is thin the shells of bird eggs so they are not able to hatch. DDT kills eggs.

The insidious aspect of this phenomenon is that large concentrations of chlorinated hydrocarbons do not usually kill the bird outright. Rather, DDT and its relatives alter the bird's calcium metabolism in a way that results in thin eggshells.
https://web.stanford.edu/group/stanfordb...Birds.html

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” President Donald J. Trump 7/25/18

That is what was said, but it is false or grossly overstated. It was used for quite some time with no issues arising, well until the jack-ball and his agenda showed up. Shortly thereafter, PEOPLE (liked you and me) started dropping like flies and never got back up (by the millions).
Shortly thereafter, PEOPLE (liked you and me) started dropping like flies and never got back up (by the millions).

DDT’s effectiveness persists for a long period of time after application. Mostly what occurred, was other types of insecticides replaced DDT, like here in Hawaii during the most recent dengue outbreak. In order to have the same sustained level of impact their application is required more frequently, which in third world countries doesn’t always happen, for one reason or another.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:

Shortly thereafter, PEOPLE (liked you and me) started dropping like flies and never got back up (by the millions).

DDT’s effectiveness persists for a long period of time after application. Mostly what occurred, was other types of insecticides replaced DDT, like here in Hawaii during the most recent dengue outbreak. In order to have the same sustained level of impact their application is required more frequently, which in third world countries doesn’t always happen, for one reason or another.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18

You could spray a wall, days later a mossy would land on it and go proboscis-up. The alternatives offered, nets, other chemicals etc., have all failed to stem the body count, which is in the millions.
You could spray a wall, days later a mossy would land on it and go proboscis-up.

I hear the mushroom cloud over Bikini Atoll back in the 1940’s effectively eradicated their mosquito population even better, and for a longer period of time than DDT. But like DDT, the long term hazards and risks outweighed the rewards.

Somehow we made the leap from 3 letters to "an infinite number of words on packages".

I remember a time when companies were proud to advertise advancements in their products. And they wouldn't just put it in amongst the other ingredients, it would be in a big, can't miss it star-burst on the front of the package. NEW!!! IMPROVED!!!! NOW WITH REAL.....etc.

If the advancements in question are truly saving our farming industry and saving the world from widespread starvation, wouldn't this be something to be proud of? Yet they spend millions upon millions to keep this information off their labels, even in fine print.

They're probably just being modest.
Can we all agree to accept reality and move on?

Roundup might be toxic, or might not, but nothing we do will change Monsanto.

Instead: buy organic, don't use Roundup on your house, lobby County and State to stop using Roundup on roadside weeds. These things are directly within our power and will make our corner of the world a healthier place, etc.

Of course, we might have more auto accidents due to reduced visibility, or we might have higher taxes to support cutting weeds by hand, but at least we're learning new things while actively doing something instead of arguing whether Monsanto can put enough words on the label to satisfy lawyers, courts, regulators.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled...whatever it is we're doing here.
quote:

You could spray a wall, days later a mossy would land on it and go proboscis-up.

I hear the mushroom cloud over Bikini Atoll back in the 1940’s effectively eradicated their mosquito population even better, and for a longer period of time than DDT. But like DDT, the long term hazards and risks outweighed the rewards.

Actually, and factually, with DDT there are no long terms hazards or risks. However, not using it has the risk, or dare I sare near-certainty, of dying from mossy-born disease.