Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Hurricane Season
Jeremy,

Iselle crossed the Big Island and was still a tropical storm as it passed south of Oahu. After it hit Puna the damage was much less because it passed over less populated areas.
Iselle crossed the Big Island and was still a tropical storm as it passed south of Oahu

Oahu!?! Now you are smoking the really strong stuff!

Map...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_..._track.png
"My goodness.. you must be one of those no good pot smokers geochem bitches so much about! "

and

"Oahu!?! Now you are smoking the really strong stuff!

Map...

"

Glinda,

I don't what it is with you and all the insults, didn't you just say that "Sugar always works better than vinegar, don't you think?"

From your very own link, you can see Iselle was still a tropical storm as it passed south of Oahu, the blue dots represent winds of tropical storm strength. Perhaps you also disagree with the NWS?

https://www.facebook.com/NWSNHC/posts/tr...043850345/

"Tropical Storm Iselle is still buffeting Hawaii with strong winds and heavy rain. It's centered at 11 a.m. HST (5 p.m. EDT) about 125 miles south of Honolulu, moving toward the west.

Maximum sustained winds are 50 mph. Some weakening is forecast during the next 48 hours, and Iselle may become a depression by Sunday.
"
Iselle crossed the Big Island and was still a tropical storm as it passed south of Oahu
Oahu!?! Now you are smoking the really strong stuff!
Map...

Am I missing something?
Doesn't the map show Iselle south of Oahu?
Aren't the turquoise colored dots symbols for a tropical storm, as noted on the map?

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Iselle did have rainfall effects on all of the main islands, in fact, the only death was from Kauai.... 19yr old hiker most likely caught in a steam flood...

This is WHY I try to quell the people on this site that think that there will be no effects, or that this storm will be stopped by rocks...

I have always said that mountains are like speed bumps, they do effect cyclonic storms, but that they do not stop the storm, nor do they totally rip it apart....

With a storm as saturated in water vapor as Lane, there will be effects, potentially deadly effects, on all areas of our islands... while we are most likely not going to get the hurricane force wind, I think most of us in Puna get it that this storm has a LOT of water in it... we are still in the first outer bands & there is standing water happening... we have yet have the storm center even near our island... still almost 200miles, & hours & hours of slow travel to get to the south of our island... all the while dumping water vapor & in ocean SST water temps that refuels it to a point...
I just don't understand why people post links that completely blow their own argument to pieces and then accuse others of smoking something mind-altering.
post links that completely blow their own argument to pieces and then accuse others of smoking

It's almost like watching a slow motion train-of-thought-wreck, the swirling, spinning sky high clouds of smoke ripped apart by a rock hard wall of irrefutable evidence on the link they posted, contradicting the very point they wanted to make...

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I'm glad I live where flooding seems to be an impossibility! (lower HPP). This lava is magic stuff.
Must be rough going on the flanks of Mauna Kea.

A point on Iselle: Its winds were only 60 mph when it hit Kau. We cannot assume Iselle's weakening was hastened by its approach to our 2 mountains. But the Iselle event also does not provide information as to whether a Category 3 or 4 storm path might be impacted by approaching the Big Island.

The authors in Tom's link state "Iselle's circulation was disrupted by its passage over Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea."

Interesting, the authors open with a bit of a strawman: "In this article, we'll address two common myths about storms in Hawaii: One, they only hit the island of Kauai, and two, the Big Island's tall volcanoes destroy any storms that do pass, effectively protecting the other islands to the west." These exaggerations, especially our mountains destroying storms, are not that widely held.
"A point on Iselle: Its winds were only 60 mph when it hit Kau. We cannot assume Iselle's weakening was hastened by its approach to our 2 mountains. But the Iselle event also does not provide information as to whether a Category 3 or 4 storm path might be impacted by approaching the Big Island."

Well, I guess that's a true statement, but if the mountains didn't deflect Iselle, then what mechanism would deflect much more powerful storms? Also, it's well known that the mountains will weaken winds as they disrupt lower-level winds, but they have little impact on the low-pressure system driving those winds, so although the mountains might provide some local shelter, there's little to no evidence they deflect storms or significantly reduce the potential threats from powerful storms. In fact, the mountains may even cause greater flooding due to orographic lifting.