Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to buy new tires?
First thought was Costco, but they seem to be more expensive than places in Hilo and I’d like shop this side anyway if I can.
Looks like Goodyear has some decent reviews and prices were good. I suppose I could check the dealership(Nissan), but I never bought tires from a dealership before. Maybe Hilo’s different?
I’m open to suggestions, warnings, etc.!

Puna: Our roosters crow first
There was a recent thread about buying tires from amazon:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26182&SearchTerms=tires

And a couple of slightly older ones. Search "tires" in subject of post.
Certainty will be the death of us.
You can also search on the corporate Firestone and Goodyear site for what you want and the local stores have to honor the price. I say have to because I found a killer deal last year with Firestone, made the appointment for installation via web and then when I arrived for the install, the manager tried to tell me they wouldn't honor the price. As sooon as I said, well lets call the corporate number right now... he caved...
There is the Michelin tire store at the corner of Kekuanaoa and Honu streets, just kinda across the street from Big Island Countertop. I've not been there but a good friend went there after extensive shopping. Said it is a family run store and went over backwards to give good service and prices. OMMV

K and J Tire Center in Hilo has my business for good. Nice folks, quick and reasonable. Goodyear never stocked the tires for my daughter's Mazda MPV van, but K and J always has them. I buy all my tires from them, and have leak and flat repairs done there too. There's also an alignment shop right behind them. Drop car off, walk across the street to Wiki Fresh.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I second KandJ . They are a hilo family run business and the give the best service I have had here in Hilo. Bought tires 3 0r 4 times sinceI been here will not go anywhere else.

jrw
jrw
Buying from Amazon shipped to Sears for the install was the best tire buying experience I've had. Normally when buying tires the place might give you 1 or 2 options but they are really just do you want to pay $110 or $120? You really have no idea what you are getting. But buying on Amazon they provide the speed and load ratings, tread depth etc so you can compare tires on rated qualities too. (You'll have to use something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code to decipher what the codes mean because Amazon doesn't).
I will third K&J. Great people to deal with.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Yes, I did a search and most everything was 2017 or older, I need something more current to keep up with the incredibly rapid pace of change here on the east side. I’ll definitely check out K&J. I also looked at Amazon, but I can’t get my head around anyone being interested in installing tires purchased from another vendor. Also wonder how warrantee issues would be handled with Amazon. I’m not going to buy anything until around August.

Costco has $100.00 off on Bridgestone tires right now and they have the best deal on mounting etc.

"The Installation Package also includes Lifetime Maintenance Services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs.

Upon the service of your tires we also install new rubber valve stems (Note TPMS valve stems and accessories will be an additional charge). Additionally, we inflate your tires with nitrogen, not compressed air. Nitrogen retains tire pressure better over time than compressed air, which can positively impact the life of your tires, as well as the fuel economy of your vehicle.

Finally, for your protection, all of our tires are backed with the Costco Road Hazard Warranty."

I have gotten several set of tires at a greatly reduced price because the mileage wasn't reached.
Just have to keep the car aligned and do regular rotations and inflation.