Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Question for Rob on current PunaWeb hopes & expectations
(07-25-2024, 08:28 PM)HiloJulie Wrote:
(07-25-2024, 08:09 PM)ironyak Wrote: WTF does this have to do with me? MyManoa and TomK arguing is just another day of the week that ends in y on PunaWeb.

You want to speak to a manager, ask for Rob, it's his site.

Well, I was hoping to speak with the “wannabe” manager, but nonetheless, keep bending over and picking up that penny as one hundred dollar bills fly right over your head!

Those hundred dollar bills are counterfeit.
Wahine

Lead by example
lol - I wouldn't want to try to moderate PunaWeb for all the flying hundreds in the world, real or fake.

I was hoping Rob would be willing to provide some guidelines he'd like to see followed and we, in our respect and appreciation for him providing this resource, would all try to abide by his wishes. For whatever reason, he's doesn't appear interested, so I guess we're doing Kowloon Walled City style anarchism instead, with a high degree of freedom and large number of arguments on how things should be done.

PunaWeb is what we make it so wield those verbal sledgehammers and string those words judiciously, lest its decline accelerate and it comes crashing down for the last time.
I’d like the enchilada please.  I know it’s not Asian, but could I get it prepared bland if possible?”

Excellent choice sir! Would you like a warm Bud Light with that sir?

”Those hundred dollar bills are counterfeit.”

True. This is Puna after all. But you could always cash in those fake hundreds at some unsuspecting Asian lady’s farmers market place of business as one leads a minimalist lifestyle!
HiloJulie Wrote: ”Those hundred dollar bills are counterfeit.”

True. This is Puna after all. But you could always cash in those fake hundreds at some unsuspecting Asian lady’s farmers market place of business as one leads a minimalist lifestyle!

My conscience wouldn't allow me to use fake bills to pay for something.
Wahine

Lead by example
Hey Ironyak, only you can put this thread out of its misery.
Certainty will be the death of us.
If some national politics has snuck in from time to time I am sorry.  Point it out.  The one thing that saves Punaweb is keeping national out.

I wish you all the best.

So, it sounds like PW is on it's own to self moderate.  All things in moderation except moderation.  People can't help themselves.  They post things that are clearly national.  Shame.  Some are more creative than others at laundering their misdeeds.  Others just go for it and blatantly insult others, their spiritual beliefs, ethnicity, gender, etc.  Those are people that you can just laugh at or cry for.  Rob says "point it out", so obviously that responsibility goes to the OP based on demonstrated depth of caring.  Sort of a virtual tattle-tale standing next to the chalkboard, writing down names while the teacher sneaks out for a cigarette.

If that is not enough and you find yourself getting triggered by peoples "lies" (anything different than your opinion).  There is now an approved pharmacological solution.

https://youtu.be/R69gs4tUT7s

I wish you all the best.
What I find particularly interesting is, as I’ve said it before, the hypocrisy being displayed here on PunaWeb, especially and culminating with the absurdity of this thread. 

Each and every poster who has posted on this thread, including myself and most importantly, the thread’s originator, is guilty of doing what the originator of this thread is asking Rob to come in and patrol. 

Going out on a limb here, but to me the real underlying goal here is to limit free speech. This is beginning to look like those who desire to ban books because they might say something that some people might be uncomfortable with or they might reveal an ugly historical truth. 

At any event, I enjoy PunaWeb as it’s been for the last 15 months since I became a member. And to be even more succinct, outside of ONE specific poster who is now banned, and who had been banned prior but let back in and even prior to that had numerous other screen names until those screen names were also banned, I have enjoyed the banter with and have the utmost respect for each and every one here on PunaWeb, including those who have called me disgusting misogynistic terms, as well as those who may disagree with my views.

As Rob did clarify “warts and all” let PunaWeb run as it’s clearly been run for over 20 years now.
kalianna - Hey Ironyak, only you can put this thread out of its misery.

Given the chaos caused from the last round of deleted threads, I'm not sure from which shoulder you're speaking this suggestion. ;) Could be entertaining though - instead of being a long-lived repository of local knowledge, have PunaWeb go all SnapChat style, with posts nuking themselves after 24 hours. Strong "you had to have been there"/"you never step in the same river twice" vibes and a much cleaner layout for sure!

But if this thread is the standard for warranting deletion, then almost all recent threads would have to be removed as well, and Rob wants warts and all, so I'll leave the thread to keep festering.

I will say that when PunaWeb went down a few years back, a handful of us were working behind the scenes and bouncing ideas around with Rob on how to restore the site. Ultimately, a paid solution was determined and people chipped in to bring things back online after several months of downtime.

If at the time PunaWeb was a cesspool of arguments about mainland b.s. and personalities and had lost its unique Puna & Hawaii-centric focus, I could see the decision being made that it wasn't worth the time, effort, and cost to restore. After all, there are more options than ever for arguing about national and world topics so why bother with maintaining yet another site for that purpose?

So if you all want PunaWeb to be the unique local resource as it once was and for it to be worth restoring when the next server issue occurs, maybe put some effort into not treating PunaWeb like Facebook, Twitter, or your personal chat room. Otherwise I wouldn't blame Rob, who doesn't even have the time or interest to read posts & moderate like he used to, much less tackle a server restore, for putting it out of its misery when the next opportunity arises.

Cheers!
Well ironyak, maybe this is your call to lead!

Offer Rob a buyout. Maybe he would sell PunaWeb to you. I’d say start an offer of around 10 grand. Maybe form one of those “blank check” acquisition company’s. Get a few investors to join you. 

You could rename it to “PW” (formerly known as PunaWeb) You could charge 5 - 10 bucks a month to join. Maybe issue plumeria blossom verified check marks. 

Then you could institute all the rules and regulations your heart desires. Think of the fun you could have banning non conforming posters. 

And when it’s all said and done, you and kalianna can have all the Puna related non national talks the two of you so willing desire, so long as the two of you limit yourselves to no more than 5 posts a day. 

Could be a win win for you. Well not for your investors, but for you personally.
(07-26-2024, 12:37 AM)HiloJulie Wrote: Well ironyak...

This post is a good example of just how out of touch with reality you are. I think Bobby D coined it with his tune, Ballad of a Thin Man. It describes you, as you are here, on PW, perfectly. You're obviously no more than a bot, grepping data without a heart or soul. You know everything, but in reality you haven't a clue. Good luck with that.