Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
Royal Gardens is a different scenario than we're discussing here. It is't just "cut off" from Hilo, It's pretty much covered with lava. Before it was inundated, it WAS just cut off, and people there adjusted. They accessed their property the long way, through the national park. There's absolutely no reason to believe this eruption isn't going to last another thirty years. Kilauea is a very young volcano. I don't know Pele's exact time schedule, but I'm convinced that Kilauea is destined to become a mighty mountain eventually. Enjoy your time on the rift zone, build modular, and become as self sufficient as possible.

I like your style Greg. It's been my experience that living in Hawai'i has everything to do with being flexible, adapting, and working to be ever more self-sufficient. When you're aware that even the ground you stand upon is impermanent, kind puts things in a different perspective, eh?

Edited by - mitzi m on 08/23/2007 14:31:37
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
Mindy I too agree with your sentiment, and it is one of the things that draws me to Hawaii.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
The homes in Royal Gardens got picked off piece meal. The real drama that we have experienced during this eruption, and one that might be used as an example of the myriad of things that would unfold if the lava were to make in down into developed property, was the destruction of Kalapana. During that time, in the spring of 1990, we witnessed how over 150 families dealt with the inundation of their property. And, from that experience I can say there is not one answer, one way, to deal with it. If you have not had the experience yourself I would suggest that a lot of caution be exercised when formulating an opinion of how people should deal with it. I have seen people make leis, leave them on their lani, say a pray and walk away. Others held vigil for days and nights crying to their god 'why us', the sense of grief was beyond words. and this wasnt one of those disasters that shows up one day and is gone the next leaving those effected to recover. it is very slow, it reaches into the heart of the matter, the stresses can be way beyond what those who have not experienced it can imagine. please be kind.
dakine, your words are both awe-inspiring and deeply thought-provoking. I admire those who can say so much with so few words.

Mahalo,
Glenn
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
My Google Earth image overlay of the Aug 22 USGS map:

http://i11.tinypic.com/4zo0y8g.jpg
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
Now my girl quickly said to me,
Mon you better watch your feet
Lava come down soft and hot,
You better lava me now or lava me not

Dakine, Thank you for your insight. I live in the Kalapana area and was involved in efforts to move, salvage, and comfort people in the path of the lava. As traumatic as this episode was, everyone I know displaced by the lava live productive happy lives now. Some are still in the area. Some have moved to upper Puna or Hilo. They all have kind of a "bond" for sharing the experience. You are also correct that people react differently to stressfull situations. One tearfull Couple featured in a "lava" video did have the foresight to increase their insurance policy significantly just days before the lava devoured their property. They certainly didn't panic! You used the phrase "if the lava comes to a developed area"; I would modify that to "WHEN the lava comes to a developed area". If it doesn't happen this month or year, it will certainly occur in the not to distant future. I think my point is that if you're unprepared for the possibility of a lava flow coming to you, you probably live in the wrong place. All said and done, I feel the danger of lava is minor compared to the deadly floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, or forest fires experienced by folks on the mainland. Aloha, Greg

Edited by - greg on 08/24/2007 07:42:30
My biggest issue about information on this current lava flow is the irresponsibility of the TV NEWS MEDIA, which is supposed to keep us informed.
Last evening, I watched no less than three different television stations sensationalize the press conference information. According to their understanding of the press conference, the flow is "threatening 1000 people in Ka'ohe Homesteads" and “appears to be moving towards one of the Island’s most populated areas.”

Upon hearing this, my wife and I decided to take a drive to see just what they were talking about. My conclusion…unless lava can now flow uphill, this will be highly unlikely.

After reading this morning's article "Lava fears spark an outreach" in the Tribune Herald my suspicions were confirmed. The scientist-in-charge at the USGS's HVO, Jim Kauahikaua, was quoted as saying..."If I gave you detailed topographic information about the four different flows from this fissure...you would conclude that they are actually going away from Pahoa."
Why wasn’t this quoted on TV? Not sensational enough?

I’m also tired of having my wife’s and my sanity tested by people in the community who we, at one time, believed to have good information because they had a husband/wife, relative, friend, or just knew a someone who worked at USGS or HVO.
It is unfortunate that there are such a large number of individuals who need to feel important by sensationalizing the facts.

http://www.lavainfo.us/
Whew! I’m now stepping down from my soapbox…turning the news propaganda off and going to the source. My only hope is that this website puts up the topographical map like the one Jim Kauahikaua alluded to.

Cheers!

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
It was the same sort of reporting with the hurricane. The news stations on Oahu were playing extra segments with hurricane warning and how to prepare (which is a good thing even if not immediately applicable) and the newsguy they had in Hilo when they went to him basically just remarked it was a lovely quiet night in Hilo. Didn't really slow down the news folk on Oahu, though, I guess they have to get ratings somehow.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson