Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano acting up
It looks like there is a slight possibility of the eruption going back to Pu'u'O'o.

'Activity Summary for last 24 hours: The Thanksgiving Eve Breakout (TEB) is presumed active, although HVO has no direct information about it. Minor incandescence was observed in Pu`u `O`o crater in the webcam for the first time since August 31, and was accompanied by a possible inflationary signal at the crater over the last day - the significance of this possible change at Pu`u `O`o needs to be confirmed over the next several days.'

'Last 24 hours at Pu`u `O`o: At least two minor discrete sources of incandescence were observed in the webcam in the eastern portion of Pu`u `O`o crater, beginning at 7:30pm and continuing sporadically through this morning. GPS receivers on the cone have recorded a possible inflationary signal over the last 1-2 days. The Pu`u `O`o tiltmeter is difficult to interpret due to the heavy rain signal. This possible deformation signal at Pu`u `O`o needs to be confirmed over the next several days. Seismic tremor levels remained at low values.'

http://volcano.wr.usgs.gov/kilaueastatus.php
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Wow. This is about the longest I have seen in awhile that the map hasn't been updated.
Cat, I was thinking the same thing, and then I realized that it has been about four days since visibility was good enough up there for them to really make good observations. With today's clearing trend maybe we will get some new information and/or a new map.

Cheers,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 12/09/2007 09:55:31
No overflight yet. Overflight tomorrow. However, the incandescence in Pu'u O'o has fizzled. And the perched channel (aimed East toward civilization) has refilled. Most significant to me is that the shield continues to be built around Fissure D. It is getting higher every day. And so perhaps what we are looking at is a "hill" around the Fissure, that looks like Pu'u O'o. Then a lake would form within the crater. Then god knows what after that.

Edited by - Glen on 12/10/2007 08:55:16
They updated the maps and photos.

It looks like the lava isn't going much of anywhere, which leaves us all hanging in suspense.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
Is anyone else having trouble getting into the HVO site while using a Mac? About 3 or 4 days ago I started being unable to check the updates and web cams on the current eruption at home on either of our Macs, using ANY browse,r but I can still get on using my work PC at either home or work. Any ideas on what's going wrong?
Mahalo for any help.

carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Well, I think what has happened is Fissure D has swallowed all of the Mac software technicians in the information technology division of Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory. They are obviously keeping it very quiet, so as not to scare us. Thus, no Mac readable transmissions.

Then we hear that "the webcam is fogged/rained out/was nudged by a mongoose" and so we can't see what is going on. A little incandescence. A giant shield building sub-volcano. Nothing to see here.

Ha, ha ha ha,, chuckle,, Glen.. It is true, out from extreme paranoia, rattling nerves and frigid ideas comes delusional humor.. Chuckle, ha.

Mongoose are part of a conspiracy from what I hear, back in the Midwest..

From here in Indonesia I seem to be able access the info on my MacBook. But, we have a deal with the Mongooses, (Mongeese?)

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L