Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
battery desulfator
Anybody have any experience desulfating batteries?

Experiences, stories, recommendations, humorous anecdotes, or thread hijacking are all welcome.
In process of restoring a battery with Epsom salt, no results at this time. Plenty of stuff on "YouTube", using one video I found for current experiment.
If this experiment actually works, I will be heading down to the golf course to buy "dead" batteries with a minimum of 10 volts showing for a 12 volt battery.

Community begins with Aloha
Thanks for the input Tink. I recently bought an electronic desulfator and while they can reportedly take weeks to restore a battery, it seemed to have some effect after one day but its still too early to tell. People seem to either swear by them, or call them snake oil. Either way I have 30 days to try it. If it doesn't work out, full refund via Amazon.
Epsom salt doesn't work. Drain the battery, flush with distilled water, then add new acid/distilled water mix to get the correct specific gravity. As long as the plates are in good shape, the battery will come back to life.
Thanks for the heads up on how to succeed at this!

The stuff coming out of old batteries is fairly toxic
I use one of these:

http://www.solarconverters.com/index.php...s/124-bd-2

It can be permanently installed, or used with other components (per included diagram) to make a "rejuvenator".
Baking soda neutralizes the sulfuric acid and sulfuric acid is quite cheap and easy to obtain. Sure beats $150+ on new batteries.
Therefore the reason for my insanity of my "experiment"! Add 150.00+ times 6 to get up and running is a budget not feasible at this time with other expenditures. Already knew about baking soda as a neutralizer for old acid or spills. Rubber gloves, apron and safety goggles/shield are also part of the regime.