Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another solar thread (batteries? leased?)
Two questions in one post:

1) Looking for local recommendations (including Kona side) for AGM batteries suitable for a small DIY solar setup.  I don't want to deal with flooded maintenance and can't afford any of the non-lead products.

2) Entertaining something like Sunrun but want to hear experiences from people who have done something similar.  Doesn't have to be through that company specifically, I've never spoken to any of their salespeople.  I'm not interested in ANY option where if the grid goes down, so does 100% of the power, but also I don't expect the output from all the panels.  I know there are options for 2000 watts or whatever to be available when the sun is out during a grid outage with some setups.
Try talking with Doug at Solarman. He is no-nonsense, upfront and straightforward. Will listen to your needs and won't try to oversell you (like the 3 others that quoted up to 3x as much as Doug). Great after-service as well.

Also, there are a bunch of "solar generators" on the market now that use either "house" AC to charge, or 12v DC from a vehicle, or their own self-contained solar panels. They recharge super-quick, and hold their charge in storage for a long time (months and months and months), and now go up to at least 2000w, I think. Jackery, Bluetti, Goal Zero, just a few, and more coming out all the time. They can work to plug a number of small things into, and are really handy for charging cordless tools.

Whatever you do, don't just walk, RUN as far as you can from SunRun (no wonder it's in their name) or any of the other lease-type things. They get all the benefits, tax credits, everything. You get nothing but headaches and horrible customer service.

Just my $.02; all. :-D
Kawika at Ultimate off grid has them. Those big 285 AH batteries weight a ton, over 100 lbs. Better eat your wheaties before attempting to lift.
(11-08-2023, 05:24 PM)Durian Fiend Wrote: Kawika at Ultimate off grid has them.  Those big 285 AH batteries weight a ton, over 100 lbs.  Better eat your wheaties before attempting to lift.

Thanks for the replies.

The 12v flooded golf cart batteries weigh over 90 pounds. I can manage moving them around okay I just wish there was a handle or something to grab ahold of... I have far more days behind me than ahead of me doing stuff like that.  Any ballpark idea how much they charge for a 285AH AGM or what the country of origin is?
Terracore: I don't want to deal with flooded maintenance and can't afford any of the non-lead products.

===

I hear you. Shipping may be a nightmare, but lithium is more affordable than ever…

https://bigbattery.com/

Bought a couple 48 Condors, for about 9k shipped to door. I suspect they will outlast us. There are plenty of smaller options…

Cheers,
Kirt
LiFePO4 has really dropped in price, might be possible for you now. CHINS is a decent brand (I have some made by them) and they ship some of their large batteries direct to Hawaii. https://www.amazon.com/s?i=merchant-items&me=A2JSKPPFWRERMB

They are also a lot easier to lift!

Personally I would buy the panels locally and have them installed and terminated in a solar breaker box, then do the rest of the equipment and wiring myself. I would *never* lease solar. Too many horror stories.
(11-09-2023, 04:55 AM)terracore Wrote: Thanks for the replies.

The 12v flooded golf cart batteries weigh over 90 pounds. I can manage moving them around okay I just wish there was a handle or something to grab ahold of... I have far more days behind me than ahead of me doing stuff like that.  Any ballpark idea how much they charge for a 285AH AGM or what the country of origin is?
I think they're around $650. They do have handles.  SE Asia manufactured, Malaysia or Vietnam.
(11-08-2023, 05:13 AM)terracore Wrote: Two questions in one post:

1) Looking for local recommendations (including Kona side) for AGM batteries suitable for a small DIY solar setup.  I don't want to deal with flooded maintenance and can't afford any of the non-lead products.

2) Entertaining something like Sunrun but want to hear experiences from people who have done something similar.  Doesn't have to be through that company specifically, I've never spoken to any of their salespeople.  I'm not interested in ANY option where if the grid goes down, so does 100% of the power, but also I don't expect the output from all the panels.  I know there are options for 2000 watts or whatever to be available when the sun is out during a grid outage with some setups.

Small setup as in?
What do you intend to power?    
How much power do you need? 
What type of budget are you working with?
I will add that for 2000 watts of panels you would want two of those 12 volt batteries for a 24 volt system. Then you could run an 80 Amp charge controller. Ultimate has the Outback flexmax. They seem to be the preferred controller, including with Doug the Solarman.
Outback FM80 is best as part of a FLEXpower system. Recommend the non-vented inverter for Hawaii conditions.

https://outbackpower.com/products/integr...er-one-fxr

FP1 works well for off-grid applications; for grid-tie you probably need an FP2.