Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
covid 2023
I hope that his doesnʻt start a big controversy but I wanted to let people know that after acquiring covid (probably) on a recent plane trip to the mainland, the newer symptoms and prognoses are very different than what was true at the beginning of the pandemic.  I did not have a cough, sore throat or fever, just a very runny nose, sneezing and nausea, which I hadnʻt even considered as a covid symptom and had attributed to simple travel woes.  I tested when I got back as a precaution and was surprised by the positive result.  I went to the doctor immediately and was told that the current wisdom is:
    1) Forget any more testing, that positive results can last for up to three months.  
    2) So no longer isolation for 5 days after testing negative, now they say itʻs ok to leave quarantine once your symptoms are gone and to wear a mask for five days after that.
    3) Symptoms can occur 1-14 days after exposure, usually 2-5 days.
    4) Paxlovid is not necessary if symptoms are improving and paxlovid has its own side effects.

I had gotten the new vaccine 3 weeks before I left and they told me that with that, symptoms are short and minor which my case was.  I wanted to pass this on.  Please donʻt hate me because I vax. And donʻt discount nausea or cold-like symptoms.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Thanks for the info.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks kalianna,
It’s good to have some first hand updated info going into flu season.
Pfizer just tripled the price of Paxlovid; it's now $1400.
I wonder what it really costs them to make that 1 bottle of $1,400 paxlovid and their profit margin from it.
why would anyone hate you for getting vaccinated? It's the ******
 who don't that keep this crap alive

Thank you for the good info Kalianna. A friend caught this newer Covid a few weeks ago, and she had severe nausea symptoms for a several days which put her under. Never thought of nausea as a symptom with the older versions. (she was also fully vaccinated)
I'll share my experience from September...

I too came back from the madland and woke up my first night back with a fever. I had the normal symptoms that go along with a fever, but no coughing, sneezing, etc. No nausea that I recall. That first morning I took a covid test which came back negative. The test was expired but I think they had extended the expiration date several times so I don't know if the test was valid or not. I had a high fever for 2 days and a low fever for 2 additional days. I did a "teledoc" appointment on the third day because my chest congestion was getting bothersome.

The doctor said "You have COVID" and I explained the negative test and she replied, "with the current strain we are seeing a lot of people who test negative the first couple of days, but if you keep testing eventually it will come back positive". That sounded like nonsense to me but she's the one with the diploma on the wall and she reiterated my symptoms were "textbook covid" for the then-current strain.
Thanks for reminding me. I went online with Long's in Pahoa at 10:00 am and got an appointment for 11:30 . Got the Covid, Flu and RSV all at once.

Yeah it's nice that POG O Parking is gone and not ranting about Covid.
I went to the Hawaii DoH website to see how the vaccine program is doing.

https://health.hawaii.gov/coronavirusdis...ard/21778/

According to the DoH, 79.3% of Hawaii’s residents have completed the primary series of jabs.  (71% for the Big Island).

However, only 37.1% have received a jab in the last 12 months.  (32% for BI).

If I am interpreting this correctly, it means that more than half of the people who said yes to the jabs initially are now saying no.

This is a pretty steep drop-off.  I wonder what changed their minds?