Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons you have learned building on the island
Hopefully this will be a good thread to all those that are in the process of building or contemplating building in puna with lessons learned in the process to help others avoid mistakes and expenses.

My experience building a kit home from Trojan Lumber in Orchidland was not easy considering the limited workforce available currently able to dedicate time and efforts. There was a post regarding Trojan lumber on Konaweb and prices starting at a set point and when the building permit was finally approved the actual quote ended up another 40% higher from the kit price advertised....this due to higher material costs skyrocketing in the marketplace. I was assured by Trojan prior to purchasing the kit that they would hold prices flat during the timeframe I was having plans made and finalize to permit which unexpectedly took over 6 months. After that timeframe, when they did the final quote on materials, I was in for sticker shock even though I was told verbally that prices would not change. I was told afterward that even though i signed a contract material quotes only are held if you pay for the materials in advanced.

What I should have done was to really put their words in writing that any quotes for future builds would have protected the consumer from any price fluctuations while they are in the drafting stage. Still I feel shafted from this experience at their expense.

noel

I too have recently met with verbal contract issues. My excavator seems to feel that what he promised and what is working out don't need to be the same thing. I don't know if this is an island-culture norm or not. However, I recommend that all agreements be placed in writing, no matter how simple and straightforward they appear. This is not to "wrong" or "insult" or "deface" anyone on either side but rather to clarify expectations for pay and performance on both sides.

Fortunately for me, I have a contractor with cojones who is reigning ther excavator in. Lucky me!!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Someone posted earlier on konaweb about shipping building materials directly from oregon, has anyone had done this before? Any issues that you can point out from this experience that we can all learn about, or is this too risky a proposition?

How does one control quality of product when shipping long distance, any advise would be appreciated.

kindly,

noelm

A very worthwhile topic, and one I'm most interested.

I'd say the most important lesson to date - not the mainland, be willing to learn how things are done locally, 2 ears wide open, 1 mouth normally shut unless asking respectful questions.

Today I got a call saying our Ninole house plans will be submitted to permit process by Monday. Was gonna be Friday, but I want 1 more looksee.

As for that process, in Jan I delivered a set of fairly detailed drawings to be converted into building plans. I spent an additional 6 hours, face to face, going over them with designer in April. There have been emails, Fedex, and other phone calls to get us to this point. So here we are, 6 months later, and about to enter the county maze. My fingers are crossed for a permit by early August.

This is not my first permit/building attempt. March of 2004, we started to build a legally permitted shed. Some discussion and pic link of that project is on Hiloweb. While some frustrations, also some very good experiences, especially with HPM and materials.

As for shipping building materials. I have not, nor expect to ship any lumber products. I have bought items such as ceiling fans, porcelain tile, floor tile commercial gas range, sinks and plumbing, my starter solar (PV) system, inground swimming pool kit, Kioti tractor with implements and some other items. In most cases, the motivation was money - items I could buy here at considerable savings vs on BI. I didn't buy anything that wasn't planned, but I bought same item at much reduced cost or a better item for same cost. Other items, like the PV system I did out of convenience. When I make a work trip to BI, my time is preciously limited, so I'd rather pull such items from the container and install them than to spend time looking where to buy or worse yet, finding they are out of stock.

I'll probably add to thread, but hope this is a good start.
David

Ninole Resident
OK David, fess up. You were planning on 2 20 ft containers and now up to a 40 & 20 Smile This man has a bigger shopping problem than me!!

Dave, we might have some beige 6x6 tiles if you are interested. They are the same as on our kitchen floor and were originally for the dining room. But you know me and my "let's change everything". They were pretty nice tiles and I'd hate to see them go to waste but it appears we are not using them for anything. Might be willing to give you an awesome aloha deal. Bob & I briefly talked about it yesterday when we thought "who could use these". I'll bring one next time we eat. And I am still trying to get rid of this huge aquarium if you are interested.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
Not so Punagirl!!!! Originally, it was ONE 20 ft container for the whole move, but then I discovered our surplus store, bought the tractor, and decided a 20 ft container would make for the enclosed portion of my utility shed....
The 2nd 20 footer was doing nicely for the furniture and few other items left for the big move in July and then last week I bought Sophie's pool, the PV system etc. The pool comes on 4 pallets and a 4x8x5 box.

As for your tile, hmmmmmmm, last paid $.52sf, that would be 4 of yours. Guess you'll have to show/discuss with my Boss.

BTW for purpose of this discussion: I have found Kona pricing at Lowes is usually more than Atlanta. Hilo/Kona Home Depot pricing can be same/higher or surprisingly even lower. My genset was actually $50 cheaper. The prices are easily compared by getting the SKU# locally and calling the BI store.Be sure and confirm availability. I still fume recalling my drive to Kona HD last summer to buy my French doors only to learn some "selfish" mainlander had come in unexpectedly 2 days earlier and bought everyone in stock. Well, not every one, she did leave the most expensive one and the damaged one. Local stores such as HPM and Del's can be cheaper than HD on some items. For my building material prices, HPM included delivery.

Ninole Resident
So are all the local chains matching Home Depot & Lowes prices? I really dislike Home Depot and would rather shop local even if it means another $7 at the end of the day. I wish it have been Lowes instead of Home Depot on Hilo side.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
"So are all the local chains matching Home Depot & Lowes prices?"

I don't know enough to make that blanket statement. I would suspect it would depend on the item. Perhaps others have experience to share. Time permitting, it makes sense to do a phone comparison if a major item and your know what you want. Example, when I was shopping for gates for the drive, Del beat everyone and they were in stock.
Another tidbit on HPM. If working a serious project, you can set up a cash account. Mine was actually tied to my mastercard. Purchases made using this account received a discount, supposedly same as builders/contractors. I was also able to order by phone/fax from here in Atlanta and schedule delivery to Ninole. I was also able to do phone/fax ordering from Atlanta with HD as long as item was picked up within 7 days. HD didn't give me discount and would only set up a HD credit card account, which didn't interest me - went for the FF miles on existing account.
David

Ninole Resident
what type of pool kit are you thinking about sending over, if this is more feasible i may do the same, although they do have a fiberglass distributer based in kona

noel

Noel
Fiberglass would be nice - just not in my budget. Here is the link to pool site.
http://www.poolkits.com/gallery.cfm?pc=poolkit&kitID=5
I got this pool minus diving board and slide, plus larger pump, lights, cleaner, and premium liner. I already have tractor with backhoe and loader to dig the hole.
They have shipped at least two pools to Hawaii, but you have to be involved making shipping arrangements. I figured it was easier to take delivery in Atlanta ($310 freight surcharge) and just put in container.
David

Ninole Resident