Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appliance Repairman??
We have an ominous noise (kind of a kerchunk, clack, whine) coming from our washer and no spin/agitate cycles are working. I pulled off the back and the sound appears to be coming from the motor. I can rotate it manually, belt is fine. Sad The job is a bit much for our skills... Can anyone recommend a good washer repairman that won't break the bank?
Melissa Fletcher
We used Puna Appliance Co he did a great repair for us and at a very good price 982-6444 came right out same day
Thank you Randymu!
Melissa Fletcher
I would steer clear of Bob's Appliance Repair. He tried several times to repair our dishwasher and after he hooked it back up incorrectly and destroyed our hardwood floor, he didn't want to take responsibility for it.
It sounds like the drum bearing went, in which case it's not worth repairing unless you do it yourself. It's quite the job, especially if a front load, sorry.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I've found its usually more cost effective to get a cheap or free one from Craigslist.

But right now its probably more cost effective to get a new one. (if you get a new one, make sure you buy the extended warranty since new applicances don't run forever like in the old days). If you replace an old appliance with a new energy star model you can currently get a state rebate for it but I think the deadline is coming up so you better hurry. Either $50 or $150 depending on the model.

We got one of the new HE models and although they seem to take forever to wash a load they use hardly any water (good for your catchment and cesspool) and the clothes are spun so fast they come out almost dry (dry on the line before the next load is done). We got ours at the orange place and it came with free delivery and hookup, and haul away of the old appliance (this is actually a requirement for the higher rebate check). Considering the sale we got, the free delivery, the rebate check, and the fact we almost never use a dryer anymore, the unit will pay for itself in no time. Probably a better deal than fixing your old one. We put one of those retracting clothes lines in our lanai so we can dry when its raining and it works because they are mostly dry when you start. When we do use the dryer, we can dry two loads at the same time during a single 30 minute dry cycle. Definitely saving energy either way.
We got a washer with the extended warranty from Home Depot for our vacation rental. When we did need repairs, the mainland-based service company took a week to find a local repair person to do the job, then we had to wait a week till he was available, then had to wait 10 days for a part to come in, then had to call the repair guy back when the problem reappeared, then had to wait 3 days for his availability, and then after that fix, it started leaking in a new spot. So we finally gave the washer away on freecycle (with appropriate disclosures) and bought a new one from Sears, which has its own locally-based repair crew. Next time we were in Home Depot, we told our salesperson, and he said "yeah, we've had a lot of problems with that model..." (though it was still on sale).

So two lessons: ask your salesperson about their experience with the models you're considering. Apparently Home Depot staff have a "you don't ask, we won't tell" policy. And if you're going to buy the extended warranty (which I also recommend) buy from Sears.
I second Puna Appliance Co. Gentleman's name is Colin. First knew him as the official service for a Home Depot washer. Have used him several times since. Patient and will explain.

Rick Melzig
Rick Melzig