Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Volcanic Eruptions Detected With Muons
This technique might work better for Mauna Loa than Kilauea as the particles need to pass through laterally.  Of course it is advanced technology so the anti 5G/TMT group might add it on their to do list

For volcanologists, cosmic-ray muon radiography, or muography, is a relatively new and powerful tool that could eventually help unravel the mysteries surrounding volcanic activity.
Just like an X-ray plate captures radiation passing through the body, a special nuclear emulsion plate is used to capture muons passing through a volcano. Scientists then count the number of particles that reached the plate to measure the relative densities of the interior. This data is converted into a visualization showing the locations and shapes of conduits and magma reservoirs.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Biotech...-volcanoes
Thanks, HOTPE, that's very interesting. "Cosmic rays" is a bit of a misnomer as muons are actually formed in the Earth's atmosphere after a real (or primary) cosmic ray hits an atom's nucleus in our atmosphere and you end up with a muon shower; basically a very high energy particle created in a supernova or similar energetic event causes a shower of lower-energy muons once it enters our atmosphere. These are a bane for astronomy because the muons are seen by optical and infrared detectors such as those on Mauna Kea. Fortunately, they are random so you can remove their effect after the event but they do add a lot of noise, especially with optical CCDs. It's nice to see that what's a problem for astronomers might actually be useful for geologists.
(11-13-2021, 03:10 PM)TomK Wrote: Thanks, HOTPE, that's very interesting. "Cosmic rays" is a bit of a misnomer as muons are actually formed in the Earth's atmosphere after a real (or primary) cosmic ray hits an atom's nucleus in our atmosphere and you end up with a muon shower; basically a very high energy particle created in a supernova or similar energetic event causes a shower of lower-energy muons once it enters our atmosphere. These are a bane for astronomy because the muons are seen by optical and infrared detectors such as those on Mauna Kea. Fortunately, they are random so you can remove their effect after the event but they do add a lot of noise, especially with optical CCDs. It's nice to see that what's a problem for astronomers might actually be useful for geologists.

TomK... There you go again, obsfucating reality and trying to inflate your ego at the expense of others. I'm begining to think you've taken it up as a new sport.

Cosmic ray is not a reference to what a muon is, it's a reference to the potential that created it. 
Hydro is not a misnomer in hydroelectric.

Laser generated muons shouldn't be confused with cosmic ray generated muons.
Muons are muons and electricity is electricity but that doesn't make an accompanied source citation a bit of misnomer, not unless you're unaware that generation sources are commonly linked to a product.
!!PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

You really don't have to complain about everything that bothers you.

In the parlance of our times - Feel free to 'Keep Scrolling'.
Fair trade wild-caught organic free-range muons.
(11-14-2021, 06:51 PM)Wao nahele kane Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 03:10 PM)TomK Wrote: Thanks, HOTPE, that's very interesting. "Cosmic rays" is a bit of a misnomer as muons are actually formed in the Earth's atmosphere after a real (or primary) cosmic ray hits an atom's nucleus in our atmosphere and you end up with a muon shower; basically a very high energy particle created in a supernova or similar energetic event causes a shower of lower-energy muons once it enters our atmosphere. These are a bane for astronomy because the muons are seen by optical and infrared detectors such as those on Mauna Kea. Fortunately, they are random so you can remove their effect after the event but they do add a lot of noise, especially with optical CCDs. It's nice to see that what's a problem for astronomers might actually be useful for geologists.

TomK... There you go again, obsfucating reality and trying to inflate your ego at the expense of others. I'm begining to think you've taken it up as a new sport.

Cosmic ray is not a reference to what a muon is, it's a reference to the potential that created it. 
Hydro is not a misnomer in hydroelectric.

Laser generated muons shouldn't be confused with cosmic ray generated muons.
Muons are muons and electricity is electricity but that doesn't make an accompanied source citation a bit of misnomer, not unless you're unaware that generation sources are commonly linked to a product.

Well, that was a rant-and-a-half. After thanking HOTPE for an interesting article and discussing things in a little more detail, Wao nahele kane loses control. I have no idea why you brought lasers into this, and muons are secondary cosmic rays, meaning they form in our atmosphere. I then pointed out that what is a problem is a problem in astronomy is useful for geology. As for the analogy with hydroelectric power, well that's just a ridiculous argument. Following your logic, they should be protonpionmuons.

As for HOTPE, I think he's intelligent enough to know where I'm coming from. We've had interesting discussions in the past and we've both learned from each other. He's a very bright guy, I have an immense amount of respect for him and wanted to enter into a discussion with him. Then you decide to flame me for actually trying to start a discussion.
(11-15-2021, 08:24 AM)TomK Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 06:51 PM)Wao nahele kane Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 03:10 PM)TomK Wrote: ... Then you decide to flame me for actually trying to start a discussion.
"Our Hawaiian moon"? Seriously? I won't even comment on the plagiarism."~TomK
You mean a bit like how you enjoy flaming AaronM for trying to start a discussion?
Which reminds me... Nothing AaronM wrote was plagiaristic unless you believe all things stargazing are yours alone to share. 
But what can I say, I'm just plagiarizing your conduct towards AaronM, you should be flattered. At least my flame contains facts and not obsfucation.

Yes, how indeed did lasers enter the topic... Muon beams aren't created by cosmic rays. And if someone decides to scan a volcano sometime in the future, using a muon beam scan, they won't use the term cosmic ray muons. Again, and this has clearly slipped by your limited comprehension skills, method of product production is commonly added to citations to differentiate sources. It's a thing we all become accustom to when using the English language. So again, cosmic ray isn't a descriptive of what a muon is, it's a descriptive of how the muon was generated, therefore cosmic ray is not a bit of a misnomer within the phrase, cosmic ray muon. 

Do you know the difference between sunlight and flashlight? I'm going to assume that you do and you know a flashlight is typically a handheld device that uses batteries to power a bulb that emits light and that sunlight is light that is generated from the sun's nuclear fusion process. You also know that light is not the sun or the device we reference a flashlight, therefore muons aren't cosmic rays or a bit of a misnomer. 

As per the rest of your "rant", pointless, like everything else you whined about. 

Tom, you're a smart guy, take a hint and stop engaging in the poor form nonsense.

(11-15-2021, 12:18 AM)kalakoa Wrote: Fair trade wild-caught organic free-range muons.
That made for a great laugh. Appreciated.

https://phys.org/news/2021-02-images-muon.html

https://www.osti.gov/biblio/1243096
I found it interesting how one scientist's lemons might be another scientist's lemonade.

But rather than argue about the recipe for lemonade, I'd hoped there might be more discussion about the use of muography on Mauna Loa.  If anyone on Punaweb knows more. Seems like it could be an important application to put into place on Big Island, considering when Mauna Loa erupts some people will only have hours to evacuate. 

And if lava heads towards Hilo, the underground detection of magma showing whether lava tubes are full, slowing, emptying, could help assess emergency procedures for Hilo and East Hawaii.

Don't you think??
(11-16-2021, 01:06 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: I found it interesting how one scientist's lemons might be another scientist's lemonade.

But rather than argue about the recipe for lemonade, I'd hoped there might be more discussion about the use of muography on Mauna Loa.  If anyone on Punaweb knows more. Seems like it could be an important application to put into place on Big Island, considering when Mauna Loa erupts some people will only have hours to evacuate. 

And if lava heads towards Hilo, the underground detection of magma showing whether lava tubes are full, slowing, emptying, could help assess emergency procedures for Hilo and East Hawaii.

Don't you think??

HOTPE,
Sorry about staining and stomping on your post.

About your idea, yes, a great idea. Unfortunately at this juncture and as you pointed out, natural-occuring/cosmic-ray muons aren't ideal sources for detecting activity within a volcano as low in elevation as Kilauea. Although it may be possible with sensors submerged in the ocean, likely very expensive and always at the mercy of the variable muon population. That is likely the Achilles heel for muon tomography for detection systems as you've cited, reliability of muons is limited to the cosmic ray conditions at any given time.

Anyhow, muon tomography is pretty much limited to using natural-occuring muons at this time. Some within the physics community are working on more practical muon sources, such as the creation of muon beams using lasers, etc. Particle accelorator created muons are even more useless with respect to practical applications for geologist, so laser-induced muons is the technology that needs to advance further for applications such as a Kilauea or Mauna Loa, real time, eruption detection system.

There are other potential techniques for producing muons but that's a complex topic. I'd imagine in another 20 years, there will be practical muon generation sources that emerge for a broader use of applications. 

Unfortunately, unlike x-rays that were discovered by accident back in 1895 by Wilhelm Roentgen during cathode electrical experiments, via artificial sourcing (Discovery of x-rays in their naturally occuring conditons happened later). Muons were discovered within in their natural occuring conditions first... So finding and creating practical artificial sources is the challenge here.
(11-15-2021, 06:02 PM)Wao nahele kane Wrote:

Muon beams aren't created by cosmic rays.

No one has mentioned muon beams until now, and no one has said muon beams are created by cosmic rays and it has nothing to do with the current technique of measuring the distribution of magma. No muon beam is needed. HOTPE and I had started to discuss this topic and then you showed up. Thanks for disrupting it.