Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.22 Average
Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea
Reply to request to back up your post / statement tom

Brian Said What He Said ..Tom said what he said. See the difference ?

please i hope you screen shot this..i have made ZERO Mods to above ..im. reposting to show a point ..

Oh and Tom, still waiting ..thats new : )

please i hope you screen shot this..i have made ZERO Mods to above ..im. reposting to show a point ..

While in no way shape or form am I speaking for Tom, but I would define the "curmudgeons" with respect to this thread as being the people who think feeding a feral animal known to be one of the most destructive species on earth - responsible for the extinction of thousands of species as being a good thing as well as ignoring the actual number of these feral animals while at the same time ridiculing all things science and the advancements that astronomy here in Hawaii has contributed to mankind as some sort of fool's errand.

I also would be calling 911.
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Im channeling you BOTh
(05-08-2024, 10:54 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Reply to request to back up your post / statement tom

No, for two reasons. I have no idea what you are on about and I don't think there's a chance of any rational dialogue with someone who posts this and has imaginary discussions with people:

"Intermission:  ...Waaa ...LOL .. apologies .Punaweb folks just wanted to show they hippocisy  .That research cost about 100.00 in real world time for us ..money well spent  Below part two ..my guss so , no life by them . Dont worry Rob  .i agree ...."

Start a new thread if you think people are interested in your views, otherwise, please leave this thread alone for Hawaii-related astronomy discoveries.
Tentative study: "Does the Milky Way Have Too Many Satellite Galaxies?"

Relatively large galaxies such as ours are known to have "satellite galaxies", i.e. much smaller and less well-organized galaxies than ours. However, there seems to be some evidence that the number of satellite galaxies orbiting us is much larger than expected. This may simply be observational bias;  small and faint galaxies orbiting the Milky Way are much easier to detect than those orbiting more distant galaxies. This latest result comes from the Subaru Observatory on Mauna Kea:

"The Large and Small Magellanic Clouds are well known satellite galaxies of the Milky Way but there are more. It is surrounded by at least 61 within 1.4 million light years (for context the Andromeda Galaxy is 2.5 million light years away) but there are likely to be more. A team of astronomers have been hunting for more companions using the Subaru telescope and so far, have searched just 3% of the sky. To everyone’s surprise they have found nine previously undiscovered satellite galaxies, far more than expected."

More at https://www.universetoday.com/166932/doe...-galaxies/
Hey TomK, did the observatories detect any aurora borealis last night, or did it not make it this far south?
It made it this far south!

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/05/11/big-...lehu-home/
Thanks for that, kalianna, seeing the aurora from Hawaii is very rare. randomq - no reports from the observatories that I'm aware of and I saw no signs of an aurora in any of the summit webcams. Unfortunately, the Gemini cloud cams which are incredibly sensitive are offline, or at least not available publicly. I will ask if they were working that night though. They would have picked up the aurora if it was visible. The weather was pretty bad at the summit last night and the few night crews that still work at the summit at night had evacuated by midnight due to unsafe conditions.
The Aurora Observed from Maunakea, Hawai'i, by the Subaru's All-Sky Camera on Maunakea 2024-5-11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciSke5pDn7I

Red Sprite over Maunakea, Hawai'i 2024-05-10 evening (HST) ハワイ・マウナケア山頂から見えたレッド・スプライト

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2pYBThQ4uw