Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sub divide
Does anyone know if HPP lots can be subdivided?
Mahalo for answers.
A single lot,no.
The numeric part of a zoning code indicates the minimum lot size, which is in acres (A, RA, FA) or Kfeet (R, C, M, etc).

Subdivision is "technically possible" if the zoning/density is changed (read: never gonna happen).

Fun fact: some subdivisions (Nanavale, Ainaloa, others) are already subdivided smaller than allowed by zoning; these lots are "legal nonconforming". A side effect of which is that if you conjoin multiple lots, they cannot be re-subdivided.
They are already nonconforming it’s zoned A-5 where the acre lots are. I think they changed the 1/2 acre one to R so they could charge more taxes but but not able to get higher density.
changed the 1/2 acre one to R

This would require action by State; R zoning is Urban land use.

Density is the one thing County does control. Once the land is Urban, it can be RS-10 just as easily as RS-20.
some folks in the big subs "consolidate and resubdivide" side by side lots to change the shape of the lot. Usually to have them more square and have one in front with a driveway going up the side to the one in back, which is called a 'flag' lot since it it shaped like a flag on a flag pole. That doesn't change the square footage of each lot, though.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Agricultural land is just as eligible for a Condominium Property Regime as an apartment building. The tax ID for the original parcel belongs to the "association" ending in 0000 and the separate parcels within would be 0001, 0002, etc (if you look at the last four digits of your property tax ID, they will be 0000 because your parcel isn't part of a condo, unless it is). This way, multiple separate owners can own land on a property that is only zoned for one, and subdivision is not necessary.

Yes, an attorney probably has to help set this up.

"Applying a CPR to farmland would involve dividing the land into separate units or lots, each owned by different individuals or entities. While each owner has exclusive rights to their portion of the land, there are likely shared elements (such as driveways). These shared elements would be managed through the CPR association, which may or may not be active depending on the specific circumstances."

While in Hawaii they technically require the "condo tenants" to belong to the "association", the association doesn't have to require paying dues, HOAs, or having any real function other than being a name on the county tax assessor web site. Some of the names I've seen are just funny sayings.

When most people think of a "condominium" they think of an apartment type unit, but it also could be a condo association with two 6-acre farm lots on a single 12A parcel, or anything else one can get approved. This strategy is used in Hawaii because it's usually easier to implement a CPR than getting zoning changed.

Whether any of this can apply in HPP, I have no idea.