Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats
Toxoplasmosis, an infection spread only in the feces of feral cats, is likely what killed a nēnē gosling in Liliʻuokalani Park and Gardens last month.

The DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFAW) sent the diseased bird to the United States Geological Survey (USGS) National Wildlife Health Center for a necropsy (animal autopsy).

Raymond McGuire, the DOFAW biologist who collected the gosling and sent it to the lab to determine cause of death, said nēnē have particularly strong familial bonds and there’s one thing about this gosling’s death that is especially sad. The gosling’s mother, tagged as NTC, was the same bird that had another chick taken from her by a woman at Hilo park in March, 2023.

In a press release DLNR Chair Dawn Chang said, “This tragic incident highlights the problem of having feral cat colonies in areas that are known habitat for endangered or threatened species. Toxoplasmosis, or ʻtoxo’ for short, according to the USGS, continues to be the chief cause of death for infectious diseases for nēnē and critically endangered Hawaiian monk seals. We must keep cats out of native wildlife habitats or we’re likely to see more deaths among Hawai‘i’s State Bird population,”
Last year at the Queen’s Marketplace in Waikoloa, DOCARE officers ordered feral cat feeding to stop, at the request of the shopping center’s owners as nēnē were eating cat food right alongside a large population of wandering cats.

The nonprofit Friends of Liliʻuokalani Gardens put up signs cautioning visitors that it is illegal to touch, harass, feed, or harm a nēnē.

https://www.kwxx.com/2024/04/24/nene-gos...eral-cats/
That's a darn shame.
Went to the Keaau transfer station the other day, and there was one of those psychotic looking women feeding cats off the tailgate of an ancient station wagon. I wanted to scream, "YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!," but I knew it wouldn't do any good.
But it doesn't hurt. If enough people do it... Next time I run into one of the crazy cat ladies I'll definitely be reminding her of the gosling death.
The people feeding the cats and the state authorities who look the other way and do nothing are guilty of unlawful taking of endangered species through their practices but there simply is no will to enforce the law. This of course as we wait to see whether the supreme court decides that after 240+ years presidents suddenly need absolute immunity, because of an orange boil on the ass of democracy. I have been naive for most of my life.
Its all the cats fault they are spreading TDS.
(04-27-2024, 05:05 AM)MarkP Wrote: The people feeding the cats and the state authorities who look the other way and do nothing are guilty of unlawful taking of endangered species through their practices but there simply is no will to enforce the law.  This of course as we wait to see whether the supreme court decides that after 240+ years presidents suddenly need absolute immunity, because of an orange boil on the ass of democracy.  I have been naive for most of my life.

Like MyManao, you've fallen into a trap. There are feral cats everywhere and the problem is a local one, nothing to do with the president. By naming Trump all you'll get are stupid responses by Trump supporters. Just stick to local politicians.
DLNR Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement (DOCARE) officers have cited a 66-year-old Hilo woman after spotting her feeding feral cats in Queen Liliʻoukalani Park and Gardens.

Doreen Torres was issued two citations for violating state endangered and threatened species laws which prohibit the feeding of protected wildlife, since nēnēmay eat the cat food.

Officers alleged Torres put out food for feral cats this morning and last Saturday.

DOCARE has stepped up patrols in the park, after it was reported last week that a one-month-old nēnēgosling died there. Toxoplasmosis, a disease carried in the feces of cats, is implicated in the gosling’s death.

Earlier today, the DLNR issued a news release detailing the concerns wildlife biologists have with cat feeding in public spaces, particularly at Queen Liliʻuokalani Park. https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/blog/2024/05/01/nr24-48/

Torres is schedule to appear in Hilo District Court on June 21. The charges against her are both misdemeanors.

https://bigislandthieves.com/hilo-woman-...hilo-park/
Well, good for DOCARE!

In as much as there is really nothing more that could be done, in my opinion, the best way to deal with this issue is to break them financially. If these 2 citations had say a $500.00 fine EACH, think she would stop feeding the cats?

And if she does it again, two more $500.00 citations. 

But then again, deterrence to these type of wildlife issues is always an interesting issue. I grew up in Wisconsin in the 60's and early 70's. Back then and even to today, if you kill a bald eagle, it's a 100K fine and up to a year in prison.

And yet, they still manage to kill a few bald eagles every year.
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
This is a compassionate and wonderful person. Saving lives. She is NOT a criminal. She feeding them out of goodness of her heart ( and pocket )

Basically assuming role of mother and taking care of those that cannot.

I bet her citation is a shock to her heart.

.Mongoose in the trough as well..

Poor Lady .. Now cat's foods she delivery after dark.