Punaweb Forum
Furlough Friday coming back - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Furlough Friday coming back (/showthread.php?tid=21712)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - TomK - 04-18-2020

"hokuili" wrote:

"While you're at it maybe you'd like to explain how this babysitting stuff works? Do you and Obie have separate shifts? Or maybe it's a tag team sort of deal? I had no idea you had taken Obie on. You should have made an announcement."

No answer then. Do people all have to post on PW at the same time? It seems to be what you are suggesting.

And given your post, why didn't you make announcements about your various sockpuppets? As has been pointed out before, you really don't practise what you preach.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Seeb - 04-18-2020

The state / county should start working on realistic ideas to boost the economy when the lockdown is over other than taxing the people with jobs till they leave the state.

Legalizing gambling and recreational weed might help tourism recover faster. And maybe improve internet capacity for web based businesses

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - PaulW - 04-18-2020

Good to see that people finally realize that diversification is key, after fighting all economic activity for years.
Those taxes won’t pay themselves. Would’ve been smarter to diversify before driving vacation rentals out of business, not after.
I hope this means that frivolous protests to block people from going about their legal business will no longer be tolerated.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - EightFingers - 04-19-2020

I think the grouping restrictions will put a stop to that. I don’t see those types of restrictions being lifted for at least a year.
Should be interesting to see how that all plays out.

Puna: Our roosters crow first

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Guest - 04-19-2020

Those taxes won’t pay themselves.

What you mean brah? Uncle got one kick ass kine printing press, maybe even one Gutenberg. You know, he print 'em up real good for us, for sure.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - 1voyager1 - 04-19-2020

quote:
Originally posted by hokuili

Those taxes won’t pay themselves.

What you mean brah? Uncle got one kick ass kine printing press, maybe even one Gutenberg. You know, he print 'em up real good for us, for sure.

Of what value is too much paper money overwhelming what gave value to the smaller amounts.
Yeah, they will continue to print more so they can continue to hand out more while the GNP and its value fades away.
Remember Germany in the '20s, when one needed a wheelbarrow to carry money to go shopping for food.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, nothing left.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - terracore - 04-19-2020

They printed trillions after 2008 and a lot of people thought high inflation was coming. It never appeared in the "official" inflation numbers but those are all gamed. It's because most of the money never left the financial industries. The inflation showed up in equity prices (the stock market) because companies borrowed the printed money at almost no interest and bought their shares back to drive the prices up so the executives could get larger bonuses and the shareholders would get dividends courtesy of the cheap credit. So the big corporations went into this pandemic straining under huge levels of debt and guess what, now they want a bail out.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Chunkster - 04-19-2020

I would add to terracore's good point by noting that the airlines (Delta in particular, but also others) were particularly guilty of stock buybacks during the past few very profitable years. Instead of building up some cash reserves for a downturn they knew had to come someday, they inflated their stock prices and executive's net worth. Now that the bottom has fallen out, they expect corporate welfare to pay employees salaries. I'm not saying that the airline industry is universally guilty of this or not worthy of being saved, but they did play that game. I've seen some reports that the feds are attaching strings to the rescue money so that they could end up with equity stakes in some cases. That could get really interesting.

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - Obie - 04-19-2020

Bullcrap.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/25/american-airlines-waste-cash-flow-share-buybacks.aspx

RE: Furlough Friday coming back - randomq - 04-20-2020

quote:
Originally posted by Obie

Bullcrap.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/03/25/american-airlines-waste-cash-flow-share-buybacks.aspx

Delta spending 58% of their FCF, $2 billion last year, is still $2 billion that could have gone to cash reserves or their underfunded pension, which only received $0.5 billion. That's right their pension is still underfunded by billions, even after it went bankrupt and screwed retired pilots in '07.

So, I call bullcrap on your bullcrap.