Punaweb Forum
Farmer's Market tarps gone - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Farmer's Market tarps gone (/showthread.php?tid=19315)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Wend999 - 03-29-2018

I suspect it is a plot to shut the HFM market down and then set up a new HFM market across the street with County parking. The revenue will now be the counties and the new HFM will be controlled by the county. The county is planning to drive the homeless out of downtown Hilo and basically steal the current managers business. Perhaps? Check out the comments section in Tuesdays Hawaii Tribune Herald e-edition.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 03-29-2018

Whatever county officials decide will take ages. Honolulu still hasn't figured out what to do with the Natatorium, closed in 1979. Officials there are paralyzed by indecision, in part because all Hawaii projects are beleaguered with planning regulations.

How long did it take to build the Wailoa Bridge?? Anyone want to set bets on the timetable for a new market?

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - kalakoa - 03-29-2018

Whatever county officials decide will take ages.

Only if it's progress-related; they manage to pass tax/fee increases every year.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - snorkle - 03-29-2018

Dude says:
"AND!! Told the farmer's market that individual vendors can bring their own popup tents/tarps, most of which are probably not fire-retardant nylon!"

Look; Here's the deal; Any permanent structure has to meet fire, tsunami and structural codes far more stringent than "temporary" structures.

The HFM people have two choices; Vastly expensive permanent infrastructure, or creative, modular, attractively landscaped infrastructure for a fraction of the cost. (Pop-ups)

Oh; and require that pop-ups be taken down at the end of the day, instead of being left up for decades (which would render them "permanent").

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 03-29-2018

Their is much optimism the pop-ups will work. We'll see.

Heavy rain will much hinder market business, especially the vendors selling gifts. People holding umbrellas in heavy rain, looking at shirts, jewelry and trinkets? Right.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - My 2 cents - 03-29-2018

quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

Dude says:
"AND!! Told the farmer's market that individual vendors can bring their own popup tents/tarps, most of which are probably not fire-retardant nylon!"

Look; Here's the deal; Any permanent structure has to meet fire, tsunami and structural codes far more stringent than "temporary" structures.

The HFM people have two choices; Vastly expensive permanent infrastructure, or creative, modular, attractively landscaped infrastructure for a fraction of the cost. (Pop-ups)

Oh; and require that pop-ups be taken down at the end of the day, instead of being left up for decades (which would render them "permanent").

Well, they tore it down in a day. How "permanent is that?

What about a happy medium, i.e., get a new custom tarp setup that is attractive and replace it once a year?

I still say the timing was malicious, and mostly it affects the vendors that Harry feels oh, so sorry for.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - snorkle - 03-29-2018

I agree the timing was bad; but in all fairness to the county; the vendors and venue had years to deal with it and prepare for it.

They tore it down in a day. right. How permanent was that? It wasn't. That's the point, it was a temporary structure left up permanently. Illegally.

Another option would be to legalize temporary structures to remain in place in perpetuity. In all fairness, this would have to apply to all neighborhoods and districts. Do you like the blue, gray or white tarps?

I'm not necessarily against this, but I think it's real punaweb for people to grumble about zoning, permitting, or safety enforcement on one issue, and whine about lack of enforcement on others. Especially when there is a viable, easy, inexpensive and legal solution.

Landscaping for atmosphere, pop-ups for vendor empowerment, financing and rentals available, empty spaces with chairs for customer shelter, taken down at night or for inclement weather. Easy.

If people want the aesthetic provided by the old market, they could rip some of the tents and spatter stains, urine, and rust on them to make it as ghetto as it used to be.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - alaskyn66 - 03-29-2018

"If people want the aesthetic provided by the old market, they could rip some of the tents and spatter stains, urine, and rust on them to make it as ghetto as it used to be."

In the real estate biz thats called 'rustic charm'.

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Kapoho Joe - 03-29-2018

quote:
Originally posted by Wend999

I suspect it is a plot to shut the HFM market down and then set up a new HFM market across the street with County parking. The revenue will now be the counties and the new HFM will be controlled by the county. The county is planning to drive the homeless out of downtown Hilo and basically steal the current managers business. Perhaps? Check out the comments section in Tuesdays Hawaii Tribune Herald e-edition.

Sounds good to me.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - kalakoa - 03-29-2018

legalize temporary structures to remain in place in perpetuity

Like they do at the Maku'u market? Or maybe I'm thinking of Uncle Robert's -- it's hard to keep track of all the "special exemptions" enjoyed by certain people at certain places.