Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmer's Market tarps gone
Can we do anything more to destroy the local economy ??

http://bigislandnow.com/2018/03/25/count...own-tents/
The owner had 20 years to put in improvements such as a concrete slab and fire retardant roofing and did nothing.
There is the old Food Fair farmers market on the weekends and on Railroad on weekends a Hawaiian Homes Farmers market .
To bad right before MM but maybe now a GoFundme will be set up to help make it better than before.The vendors can still set up with their own portable tarps .
There is also Maku'u market and H.A. Saturday market and Cooper Center market on the week ends .
The Kona Farmers market is in far worse condition .
We also think that the owner of the Hilo Farmers market might be building a permanent several story building much like the S.Hata Building .
Thanks Harry K.
Billy would never do such a dastardly deed .
It is turning into a Cali / NY / Honoruru state of affairs .
Mrs.Mimosa
Hard to believe it's true. If so, sorry to be blunt, but these public officials are A-holes. JMO.
Maybe one of "the Boys" wants the prime location?[:I]
So the tent that the owner of the market has provided is dangerous (fire hazard) but individual vendors can bring their own tents/tarps and that is OK?

WTF is wrong with this mayor, fire department and county, overall?
I thought the third-world look of the Hilo farmer's market was part of the appeal for tourists!
Wow, this is just messed up in so many ways. Everything from the history to the practicality of the market.

So many other things that need to be addressed and this is what they choose?

Some years ago (maybe 10?), they were handing our color brochures with an architecturally designed building for the new Hilo Farmers Market at the present site. I believe it was 2 stories high and may have had an open air area on the first floor with shops and offices on the second floor.

It was a beautiful design. What ever happened to it? The economy was only in a dip from 2008-2011, it's been booming ever since.

If you want to combine the dual pleasures of insanity and social acceptance, religion is your only choice. - Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The owner had 20 years to put in improvements such as a concrete slab and fire retardant roofing

Funny, Maku'u was only required to install "fire-retardant roofing" over the food vendors with open flame, which the Hilo market vendors didn't have.

A permanent building would be nice, but the vendors probably wouldn't be able to afford space therein. Maybe we can get one of those mini "neighborhood" Walmart, or perhaps an overpriced wine bar?
The market owner would still like to process its permits for tenants and a permanent roof.

What about the gravel floor? As I recall, the Maku'u Market was formerly located in a huge greenhouse building in Pahoa. Great place with a solid roof and grave floor. The place was completely overgrown, then cleaned up real nice and turned into a great farmer's market. Then it was determined that they couldn't have a farmer's market under a solid roof without a concrete floor, so they packed up and moved to the present location. The greenhouse is completely overgrown again, but Maku'u Market is allowed to continue with the tarps and gravel floor. A step backwards, imo. Apparently the standards are different in Hilo? Nice pictures, the place has gone from a very colorful and productive attraction to a...just plain ugly and useless site. Way to go Harry.

So many other things that need to be addressed and this is what they choose?

Uh huh.