Punaweb Forum
Seen any good movies lately? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Seen any good movies lately? (/showthread.php?tid=22606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - TomK - 07-17-2023

(07-17-2023, 09:26 AM)kalianna Wrote: How is this relevant to Hawaii?

It's a thread about what people here have watched. It was about movies but Rob has let it drift into youtube videos and music. But it's about Hawaii because it's about what people here watch. And please note is was the moderator and owner of the site himself who started the thread. So if you have a beef, ask him.

Next question?

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - TomK - 07-17-2023

(07-17-2023, 09:28 AM)elepaio pid= Wrote:Just...

...gobbledegook. I answered kalianna's question.

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - HiloJulie - 07-17-2023

kalianna Wrote:

'elepaio Wrote:

Well, I'll be.

I see the two Yoko Ono's have arrived!

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - My 2 cents - 07-17-2023

I know it’s a movie thread, but maybe I can help bring this discussion about the Beatles back home.

"Listen to his bass playing"

This book was written by Puna’s own Dennis Alstrand. 

https://www.amazon.com/Beatles-their-Revolutionary-Bass-Player/dp/0615995349

It’s a fun read, and Dennis makes it clear that he enjoyed writing it and sharing the information. 

Disclaimer:  Dennis is a good friend of mine, but please don’t hold that against him.  It really is a good book.

I just checked my email and Dennis sent me some better information than what I presented:

I appreciate this!!!

The Beatles and Their Revolutionary Bass Player was my first book (an Amazon best seller). It is a year-by-year discussion of the Beatles' music, including new things to listen for, with a special nod to McCartney's bass playing. It also has a lot of various information about the albums (UK vs US), how they worked as a team, how songs were recorded, a whole lot of stuff is in this book...one of those books you can open to any section and find something (hopefully interesting).

The Beatles and Their Revolutionary Bass Player - Kindle edition by Alstrand, Dennis. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Beatles in Your Soul was written as a reaction to how well the first book did. So many people had contributed to it with such commitment that I wanted to do it again. This time, I sought answers to the question "How and when did the Beatles affect your soul?". There are answers from people of every age, race and culture that I could connect with, talking about their first and ongoing impressions of the songs and the albums. It's a heartfelt book and a total labor of love.
One interesting side-thing I learned while putting this together was how most people don't refer to "the Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show". Instead that event has just become "Sullivan", as in "My whole life changed after Sullivan". If you were American and around in those days, somehow your life did change.

The Beatles In Your Soul: Alstrand, Dennis: 9798651992843: Amazon.com: Books

Both books are available for Kindle or in paperback.

Thanks 2 Cents!

I’ve read both books! Excellent reads!

How and when did the Beatles affect your soul?"

The first 22 seconds of Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

ETA: As shown and even mentioned on Paul’s In Performance at the White House concert, he STILL is playing the same bass guitar he played during the Ed Sullivan show!

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-17-2023

The first 22 seconds of Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

I knew a DJ at the local radio station in 1967.  Sgt. Pepper arrived a week before they were allowed to play it over the air.  DJ asked, “do you want to take the album home for a few days?”

Best days of a fantastic summer.

DJ asked, “do you want to take the album home for a few days?”

You were the luckiest son of a gun alive!

One of the other most transforming Beatles moments for me was seeing the Beatles Love performance in Las Vegas. 

Skip the slots, blackjack tables and just buy a ticket to that show!

The last contribution George Martin left us was the remake of over 130 Beatles songs that became the soundtrack for the show. 

At a minimum, get the soundtrack and listen to the Beatles all over again!

ETA: From Wikipedia:

“Freed from the need to adhere to chronology or chart success like the 10-million-selling [i]1[/i]'s collection of a few years back, this instantly replaces that uninspired hits set as the album you'd give a kid who needs to discover the Beatles for the first time. It also manages to be the album you'd give the jaded boomer who's hearing these songs for the ten thousandth time."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_(Beatles_album)

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - TomK - 07-18-2023

I don't disagree that the Beatles were one of the best bands ever and certainly the most influential, and I certainly consider Sgt Pepper perhaps the greatest album of all time, although I think The Wall by Pink Floyd is up there. My issue is a bit like physics. The Beatles was the sum of all. When they broke up, energy was lost and none of them created great music since then other than John Lennon, and he was taken away from us too early.

1967 - the year I was born, the best year! Wink

https://youtu.be/0Lx9lpAQiAM

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - HiloJulie - 07-18-2023

"1967 - the year I was born, the best year!"

Damn youngsters! 1957 for me!

And then, you had to go post Elton John! 

Funny Elton John story. 

Back in 2003, Harley Davidson had its 100th anniversary celebration in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - where they are headquartered.

They had this weekend long celebration, with Harley bikers coming in from all over the world and weeks before the actual event, Harley Davidson and the promoters started this big top secret media blitz of this headlining superstar to end the event on Sunday Night.

Everyone was in a tizzy as to who it could be. (Even speculations the Beatles (just Paul and Ringo by that time) were reuniting!

Well, it turned out to be Elton John!

Now don't get me wrong, to me Elton is in the same book of great musicians just as the Beatles and yes, Tom even Pink Floyd. (Dark Side of the Moon was the one for me!)

But apparently, to beer drinking Harley bikers, it did not go over to well!

Quoted from the Milwaukee Journal at the time:

"But then came John, and "monster hit after monster hit" — including "Bennie and the Jets," "Rocket Man" and "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" — "was met with scattered applause and a smattering of boos."

"At the end the crowd had thinned out so much up front that the concert staff let down the barriers and let everybody filter into the VIP area," Tianen wrote. "It wasn't so much an outright disaster as an unmitigated flop."

I guess knowing your audience is important. Being fair, Elton returned to Milwaukee numerous times to sold out crowds and performed there during his last tour that just ended.

RE: Seen any good movies lately? - TomK - 07-18-2023

I think this thread requires renaming!

Yellow Brick Road is up there, IMO, as one of the greatest albums ever. However, my two favorite songs on that album aren't the most popular. I adore "Roy Rogers" but "Sweet Painted Lady" is second whereas my favorite is "I've Seen That Movie Too". I'm not sure why, but on the other hand I can sing to them in my car while commuting and no one else can hear me!