Punaweb Forum
Farmer's Market tarps gone - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Farmer's Market tarps gone (/showthread.php?tid=19315)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Rob Tucker - 03-31-2018

I'm not aware of any law that prevents an undeveloped lot to be used as a farmer's market in a commercial zone. I fail to see how the CoH can require someone to build out.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Bullwinkle - 03-31-2018

I wonder how much more time the county would have allowed if the roof fabric were flame resistant or fireproof?

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - My 2 cents - 03-31-2018

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I'm not aware of any law that prevents an undeveloped lot to be used as a farmer's market in a commercial zone. I fail to see how the CoH can require someone to build out.

In all fairness, they are not saying the farmer's market has to go...just the tarps, 1/2 to 2/3 of the vendors, and all the other violations. Probably same effect though.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Kapoho Joe - 03-31-2018

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

They would have found another way to force this owner to brighten up his eyesore.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 03-31-2018

"if the codes are overlooked..., then you have complaints of favoritism...."

Who would the other complainants be? People in buildings, that who. That comparison is apples to oranges.

Kim cited "Non-permitted electrical wiring." Where was all this electrical use at the market? Lights? No. Machinery? No.

Someone tapped an outlet they shouldn't have. So close that outlet down. The Market does not need electricity. Buildings do.

The big tent is not sufficiently fireproof? Order DeLaCruz to get a new one. (Hopefully he would have been agreeable.)

The most egregious zoning problems could have been handled piecemeal. Not good enough for the country. They want to set identical standards for a simple tent over gravel as for a building.

Their muddle-headed thinking is why we have had problems like the Wailoa Bridge taking so long and Pineapples getting unduly harried by inspectors during construction.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - allensylves - 03-31-2018

Those 10 foot setbacks and spacing are particularly stupid. I would be ashamed to cite that rather than waive such an inappropriate requirement. What a bunch of boneheads.

Allen
Finally in HPP

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Rob Tucker - 03-31-2018

Some one should check the set back requirements for that commercially zoned TMK.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Carey - 04-01-2018

If the land did not have delinquent taxes & a tax penalty... maybe this would be a little more troublesome to me...
But does anyone on this forum really think that a landowner who has had a history for delinquent tax paying would not have some issues with the county when they are delinquent in paying property taxes???

This is pretty old news here, if you wanna get in trouble for doing things that are outside of what is allowed by the county, piss off your neighbors or the county...
Seems DeLaCruz has done both & is now complaining...
Shoots bra`, wadup wit dat???

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Rob Tucker - 04-01-2018

Well I've watched simple families, not behind on their taxes, spend six years trying to get a SUP. Run around after runaround by the county.

But when Long's was under construction in Pahoa with an expired building permit it was full speed ahead.

We have a corrupt building and planning department.

The HFM taxes should be completely separate from the building or planning department. Meanwhile the largest landowner pays the least tax acre by acre.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 04-01-2018

I don't think anyone gives much of a hoot about DeLaCruz, who is still bringing in rental income. (Maybe he lost a few vendors. Poor guy.) The losers are:

1) The vendors, who have to go through much more hassle to set up and take down. Saturday worked OK at the Market. Sunny day. Wait till we get a day of heavy rain. How do you think their sales will be? (No matter how heavy it rained before, once you got under the big tents you were good.)

2) Downtown, indeed all of Hilo. Neither is overflowing with visitor attractions. Certainly we have some, but face it, our urban community is rather ordinary, and that is being charitable.

Tourists cross the street from the Market to check out the ocean; what do they see? A beach with a highway on top of it, a fence blocking coastal access and our renowned bandstand filled with Hilo's unemployed sprawled out in various stages of intoxication.

Hilo is hardly in a position to erode/downgrade any of its (few) attributes, particularly the Farmers Market.