Punaweb Forum
Farmer's Market tarps gone - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Farmer's Market tarps gone (/showthread.php?tid=19315)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 04-14-2018

"The county council will vote on whether venders should be allowed to set up across the street near the bandstand:"

Near the bandstand. That will work out just great on the grass there. How long before it turns into mud? People walking back and forth.

Gonna allow vehicles out there? Some of the papaya venders probably have 400-500 pounds of goods. Quite a ways for everyone to carry their stuff from the paved areas by the bus station. Hand trucks, maybe. A lot of back and forth. (highly efficient unloading at HFM now)

If they let vehicles out there's much more chance of mud. Maybe they'll place down some gravel. (Construction in a coastal zone. Permitting needed?)

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - randomq - 04-14-2018

A few more weeks of fines and we can pay for the county council's raises!

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - My 2 cents - 04-16-2018

quote:
Originally posted by DTisme

I think the electrical violation was an extension cord. Some article said that at some point.

It would be nice to know for sure what the violation was. My understanding of the codes is that they cover the outlet and everything before that. You should be able to plug anything you want into an outlet. If it overloads, the breaker will trip. If it has a short, the breaker will trip. If the power is being "stolen", that's an issue for the owner of the outlet and law enforcement. I'm just not clear on what jurisdiction the HFD has over extension cords, or what codes are being violated by using them.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Tink - 04-16-2018

HFD has jurisdiction over extension cords. It's in the Fire Code. Solution is to use power strips with appliance plugged into those. The power strips are plugged into the outlet source supplied. They come in lengths up to 6 feet, and are individually circuit protected to eliminate overheating, the main cause for a fire.

Community begins with Aloha

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 04-16-2018

Anyone know how many vendors were illegally tapping in? Or was it just De La Cruz?

If no-one had actually built anything electrical (illegally), and the offense was only tapping in, inspectors could just order cease and desist. And a fine maybe.

And that's the end of that particular violation. You would think.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - My 2 cents - 04-16-2018

Again, illegally tapping in is owner/law enforcement issue, not HFD or Building Dept. even if it's actually "tapped in" (or wired in) as opposed to plugged in.

I have never seen on any appliance instructions "this appliance must be plugged into a power strip" or anything close. Same with extension cords. I've also never had the extension cord police come down on me for using an extension cord or any appliance without a power strip.

Current code says all outdoor outlets need to be GFI. Old building, probably grandfathered, but GFI outlets are like 10 bucks. GFI would be superior to power strips.

These are easy fixes, so we are obviously missing something. So, back to my original statement: It sure would be nice to what the exact violation was.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - kalakoa - 04-16-2018

never had the extension cord police come down on me ... sure would be nice to what the exact violation was

HCC 001-01-A: "Don't Piss Them Off". Spot enforcement, variable fine structure.

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - MarkD - 04-16-2018

Agree with what you say, My 2 cents. But it seems the inspectors (and their cheering squad) have this electrical violation as a prominent complaint.

Just like the fire hazard, which one poster described as very real threat of the tent catching fire and "pouring flames down on the heads of old people and children."

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-20-2019

Hilo Farmers Market has one of three permits approved. I hope the project moves forward, but Mr. De La Cruz must operate his Market budget like the County budget, if he still needs financing and loans for his open air project after all this time. Highlights from the article.

According to the permit, the pavilions will comprise a “greenhouse-style” steel-framed and open-sided structure over the market at 57 Mamo St.

Nearby, the market’s parking lot will receive a sunshade with a photovoltaic solar array installed on top,* with the energy to be used by an adjacent restaurant.

Assuming, however, the remaining permits are approved, De La Cruz said construction can begin by the summer, adding construction might last anywhere between three and six months.**

The market accrued $212,000 in fines by October.
De La Cruz said he is working closely with the county to determine how to pay the fines, which could be reduced by the county.
While De La Cruz could not divulge specifics of the arrangement...***

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2019/03/19/hawaii-news/hilo-farmers-market-clear-a-permit-hurdle/

* Although on the previous structure, electric extension cables were deemed dangerous
** Six months for a greenhouse frame and solar panels? I've seen both go up in a matter of days.
*** County permits. County fines. Private "arrangements."

RE: Farmer's Market tarps gone - Rob Tucker - 03-20-2019

I wonder what fines Neil Erickson accrued with 23 years of permit violations...