Punaweb Forum
Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? (/showthread.php?tid=1384)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - LavaOcean - 09-21-2007

Okay I see what your saying. Still I think if we can put 4 million in to a park we have funds to make the ramp safe for both boaters and swimmers alike. By the way yes the tax starts at 200$ but goes up with increase of profit also. Hopefully through careful planning and cooperation we can continue this great place.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - dmbwest - 09-21-2007

Cannot remember a single incident where, both adults and kids were nothing but respectful of any boat (gas or human powered)that was either entering or exiting the water. Amazing to see, everyone is OUT of the water long before the boat is even there, same goes for launch. The kids even delay reentry after the boat is gone waiting for the "oil" to dissipate. Seems like a symbiotic relationship is already there. I know conditions @ the ramp can get pretty hairy for boats coming in with limited room to maneuver and second chances can get the heart going. But it is what it is, the kids learn and the guys using the ramp need to know what they are doing or not even be out there. Same goes for people who cannot navigate on foot a boat ramp or rocky bottom. Where else is everyone gonna' go ? Shane, you got guts to come onto any forum and potentially set yourself up for attack from anyone lurking behind the keyboard. Hope you have a thick skin. Think back to your own days @ the ramp as a child or even before the Zodiac days ....... how would you feel about someone telling you "its not safe", " we are going to ticket you" YOU are turning into that guy.

" Not including all the fish we gave away....."
Come on man, we all do this in one form or another as we can.

Talk about giveth then taketh away.

I honestly think it would be best for you and your business to jump through all the hoops you need to to be legit and cover yourselves, deal with situations as they come @ the ramp ( hope you got some good communication with your landing folks with the new big boat ) on a day by day basis, but stay out of the politics of everything else.

Making life hard for kids ? No Need.

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - lotus - 09-21-2007

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I'm glad to see that you are following your heart and doing what you love. I think it's pretty admirable that you would stop and think about how your actions are going to affect other people. The truth is that you have every right to go about your business and you don't need the permission of the public. Kudos to you for taking this step.

That said, a lot of people around this area are afraid of change. Even more they are afraid of a whole bunch of tourists coming through and taking over yet another area and turning it in to Disney. I think a lot of the resistance you are meeting on this board is from people who live on this side of the island in part because tourism doesn't exist. I don't think it is so much your presence, as the introduction of every boating company that comes through after you.....

Edited by - lotus on 09/22/2007 02:18:47

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - Beachboy - 09-22-2007

actually I'm not sure about this operation! It's a diaster in waiting. Why did you feel you need a 24 seater,because profits weren't being met with the smaller boat? In which area do you plan to dump all the human waste? Is this boat running on gasoline,or diesel? I'd feel a lot better if you ran your boat off of cooking oil instead of petro! I grew up in Lahaina Maui and watched as our sea life drop off as the harbor got busier over the years. As a kid I use to eat the tiny "Ama-Ama crabs" off the seawalls. I had to stop that by mid 70's as the harbor became to polluted to eat anything in it.
As kids we use jump in the harbor and retrive coins thrown in by tourist. That stopped over time too. As the harbor became more populated & polluted. Have you had the pleasure of jumping in a harbor lately ? You end up with this film of petro all over your body, it's no fun! But tell kids to stay out of it is nearly impossible!

As a lifetime surfer,and a lover of mother nature,and especially the ocean I really ,really saddened by this. As putting a life guard there, I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon either. The liability factor is just to great.
But if the choice came down to one or the other kids swimming there, or acess for your 24 seater.....my vote would go for the swimmers!

I'm sorry, without even seeing your boat I imagine it's an eye sore, and not eye candy for Puna! A 24 seater is way to big for this area. Puna doesn't need an ocean circus \just so you have more beer money!

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - oink - 09-22-2007

Unless that place has changed dramatically since I was there last, I'm wondering how you will board 20+ tourists without excessive risks to them. I too think your new boat will be a bit much for that "harbor". Also, I'm not always against change, but I think that you will take something away from the atmosphere of the Pahoa area if you change that area. Other than the stink eye I got showing up with cameras and in a rental, the area has a nice free form family atmosphere. Although it seemed somewhat borderline safety and liability wise, if the lava was still entering the ocean, I would consider one of your original lava adventure charters.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - Carey - 09-22-2007

Oink, It has changed considerably over the summer. There is now a fairly large parking lot mauka of Red Road, with facilities. There are also paved trails on the makai side of Red Road with stainless gang showers (much like the trails and showers they put on Coconut Island this spring). Well worth a trip here for a look-see, No?

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - LavaOcean - 09-23-2007

Once again all the fedback is great and is positive whether whether pro or con.

Hope you made it to the Pahoa community meeting, there was some great resources & info there.

In response to the last couple forum entrys.

Why did you feel you need a 24 seater? Do to the growth in our business I was having to take 4 to 5 trips a day when the season was best, also seeing that 30+ van opperators in our area are currently running similar lavd based tours I felt that I would purchase a safe vessel that allowed my company growth.

Cannot remember a single incident where, both adults and kids were nothing but respectful of any boat (gas or human powered)that was either entering or exiting the water. Amazing to see, everyone is OUT of the water long before the boat is even there, same goes for launch. Lets be realistic no ones perfect but with a Lifeguard present we can then radio in and make sure there is an all clear when approach the dock. Yes we tie up just like at any other harbor or just trailer the boat. Yes we can trailer this boat shes raeally not that big. People used to launch simial sized Force fishing boats years ago. Now that the ocean is rising the tides are more favorible.

A couple meetings are currently scheduled this month addressing the possibility of a water safey officer/lifeguard to be a part of our new Pohoiki. Which I feel is the best solution for all of us.

Our boat will allow tourist the oppportunity to see the beautiful Kalapana coastline, but it is also a chance for local people to get out and see the amazing sites too aboard a safe, USCG licensed, State permitted well equipped vessel.

Fuel type? Were powered by 2 200hp honda 4 stroke motors which are effient and clean burners.

Just as this is a place to surf, swim theres a reason theres a boat ramp here too. Once again I'm not trying to stop all swimming, but need it to be a safe enviroment for both of us. Thats where a lifeguard protects both swimmers and boaters like.

As for the safety issue, it was raised to me but various locals so that is why Im addressing it. Historically Ive launched many times with people all around the boat, doesnt reall bother me, however when the people talk to me this is the main issue that continues to come up so Im doing my part to make it as safe as possible.

As for me and our opperation there are no deep pockets here and Im not in it for the beer money. This venture was founded on blood, sweat, and the desire to enjoy life and share this fun with other people. It took more then 6 years to get the Lava tour off the ground. So nothing happened over night, just some long term planning.

Anyhow on Oct. 10 at 6pm were having a community meeting at the Pahoa center reguarding this issue with council women Emily Naole love to see you there.

Shane

Puna is a beautiful place that we can all enjoy & share.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - Beachboy - 09-23-2007

okay Shane I do appreciate the response to my concerns. I think it's noble to have one's own business. But again I have concerns about enviornment, and the size of your boat. Could you post a link that might show it in a picture. Because the imagine I have in my mind could be totally wrong!? I see this boat similiar to the boat used by the Smith Family on Kauai to run folks up and down the river on tours. Kinda like the jungle ride at Disneyland

If this is really for the community, why not have it at a price the community can afford? What local family do you know that can afford $149.00 a person? Hey, I got an idea, why not make Sunday free for locals?

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - Bill - 09-23-2007

Great idea, Beachboy.

How about you donating the Sunday gas?

Always nice to see folks supporting small local business.

RE: Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp? - missydog1 - 09-23-2007

$149 a person?

OK, now that does make me sad to see a tour out of Puna going for the well-heeled tourist. One of Puna's charms, IMHO, is that the people who come to stay at Four Seasons prices don't see this area catering to them. There's more than enough of this island dedicated to the wealthy. And the Red Road has too much traffic on it already ...

I appreciate the entrepreneurial spirit, but this bothers me.
What is the kama'aina rate for the tour?