Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pohoiki Boat Ramp or Swim Ramp?
Aloha Everyone,

Back in January we brought to you the first commercial boat charter to see active lava known to most as Lava Ocean Adventures www.lavaocean.com. Recently we replaced our 6 passenger vessel with a 34ft vessel rated for 24 passengers and plan on showing you PUNAs beautiful coastlines. Our plan is to opperate 2 tours out of Pohoiki during the hours of 9-3 generally on the days the cruise ships are in. The trips last 3hrs and consist of coastline touring to Volcanos park and back passing 3 of our beautiful black sand beaches. Each trip we will be at the ramp for 5-10 minutes while loading. This brings me to the current discussion going on among the locals, I hope to both inform you about our plan and to listen to your responses to make this area viable for all.
Current topic of discussion
Swimming in the boat ramp? Having swam here as a child I understnd that there is few places where children can enter the water, however this is a state boating facility. We would love to be able to continue sharing the ramp as long as it can be achieved in a safe matter. Also we would like to assist in providing a Trust that would be set aside for the developement of swimming facilities and harbor safety improvements.

On October 10th we are planning a meeting in Pahoa to further discuss this with the community.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
I am trying to figure out if I'm just being paranoid or if you are subtly implying with the quote below that if it isn't safe for both your big passenger boat and the kids swimming, that the kids are the ones who will have to go. Please clarify your intentions.
"Swimming in the boat ramp? Having swam here as a child I understnd that there is few places where children can enter the water, however this is a state boating facility. We would love to be able to continue sharing the ramp as long as it can be achieved in a safe matter. Also we would like to assist in providing a Trust that would be set aside for the developement of swimming facilities and harbor safety improvements."

carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Shane, It's commendable that you're seeking input about your proposed adventure tour. You're correct that Pohoiki Bay is a State small boat harbor. There are even "no swimming" signs posted. (sometimes)
The County of Hawaii is putting in a four million dollar park set to open in October. As far as I know, they have no plans for lifeguards as that would admit some degree of liability.
With all this being said, I can see a couple of potential problems for your tour. One is that Pohoiki is the only spot in lower Puna with good access to swimming, diving and surfing. I think any efforts by the state to limit these activities would meet with protests that would shame Kaua'i's valiant protests against the superferry. The relationship between swimmers and fishermen is working, but in my opinion, very dangerous. "Boat, Boat, Boat" everyone shouts when a fisherman brings his boat in. It's up to the swimmers (mostly children) to get out of the way.
The second potential problem is manuvering a 34 foot boat in the tiny harbor. With good conditions and no swimmers it shouldn't be too difficult, but with any complications it could be disasterous.
The district needs a separate harbor for boats, and until that happens I would suggest sticking with your "six pack" tours. Good luck and Aloha, Greg

Thanks for the input so far and I hope more is to come. The permit have been issued for 3 months now and curently I pay the harbor permit fees for both boat which are legally insured and permitted to Pohoiki. That said I'm seeking help in making sure thatit can remain a safe shared spot. So far Ive talked with the HFD(who now is in charge of water safety), the state DLNR(controls ramp), and local council women Emily Naole( whos helping set up Oct. 10th meeting) about getting a lifeguard at one of our most dangerous swimming areas. As for the swimming Id like to propose a new area north of Pohoiki where the road floods. I think with some creative solutions we could turn this into a great option for a safe place for children. The 6 passenger option is doesnt support amount of people we will need to serve to keep our boat viaible. A couple things to consider we just put 4 million into the park, the ramp is going to be improved, currently we have two food service companys working in the park, as far as I can tell Im the only one giving back any funds which starts at 200 per boat per month to the state. Not including the amount of fish we handed out at the ramp this year thanks to the great charters we provided to locals and tourist alike. Ive also entertained the idea of other tours however the draw is to see the lava active or not.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
well i guess theres not to much interest.

Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
Shane,
Your approach is great and I see you are dotting your I's and crossing your T's..
The park is coming along nicely, a huge improvement and a lifeguard is needed. This is a popular area.
The funds that you give back to the State - could you tell us whom specifically they go to and then what those funds are used for ? If not on this forum, maybe you could answer that at the October 10th meeting.

Good Luck !

Greg H.

Shane, You pay a $200 a month fee (a tax) to the state, but you are certainly not the only one doing so. Multitudes of people also pay state taxes on pretty much everything they consume at Pohoiki, and the gas to get there. Giving away fish and seeking feedback is cool on your part and I wish you luck. I do remain pessimistic, however, on your chances of a successful venture. Especially if it comes down to a "boats vs people" issue. There's no way the county is going to provide a lifeguard where powerboats and swimming children interact. Unfortunatly, liability trumps safety everytime, and no matter how dangerous the situation is, Parks and Rec won't open that can of worms. There is also the current absence of a lava ocean entry, which would have been nice for your tour. Anyway, good luck, I'll probably see you at the meeting.

Edited by - greg on 09/20/2007 22:44:03
quote:
.......The County of Hawaii is putting in a four million dollar park set to open in October....

Gee I thought the park was already open. Did you mean the renovations to the spot used by locals for many many years is set to be finished?
Thats all it cost to get the kids the water ?? $200 a month? and please dont act like $200 a month is some big ass amount that stretches your budget.

"Dumb ass kids shouldn't be on the boat ramp any damn way, can't you see these tourist wanna use it? I mean damn, we paid a whole $200 dollars"

Thats how it sounds without all he sugar on it.
Well, it IS labelled a boat ramp, not a swimming hole (I swam there when on the Big Isle my first trip). Its pretty slimy, and sometimes the incoming waves take your feet off the rocks, leaving the swimmer momentarily adrift.
No boats arrived when I was there, but I imagine the swimmers/floaters WOULD get out when a boat arrives to come ashore, since they can't keep themselves safely away from the props (since the waves cause you to bob around).
It seems that the initial poster is worried that some kid(s) will not get out, but stay adrift, and get injured (then of course, the parents would sue for damages), even though its called a boat ramp, not a swimming hole or beach.
And that was $200 per boat, not the total fee (don't know how many boats are involved). Where else can one launch a boat? What's the protocol between surfboards and powerboats (I know powerboats must yield to sailboats)?
I tried to wade into the surf just north of the ramp, and my ankle was struck by a volcanic rock (about softball size) driven by the incoming waves, so the swimmers have wisely avoided such an alternative entry into the water. It drew blood, though not much. I flew home with a bruised ankle!