Punaweb Forum
Fencing Questions - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fencing Questions (/showthread.php?tid=13915)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Fencing Questions - Guest - 07-07-2014

What I plan to own -

1 Female goat
2 Hens
1 Small Dog
1 Large Dog.

Id like to keep them all in the yard..

RE: Fencing Questions - Carey - 07-07-2014

Having multiple fenced areas may be the best, esp for the chickens...many dogs get a "hey' I can chase these (or worse) spat from time to time

...again, our fairly medium dog (50# -smallest we have had) just loves to take apart fencing.... she will just get a bug in her bonnet & go after it until she has undone/warped/unraveled a section... when we got her she had broken teeth, she hasn't done any more dental damage, just fencing!

My dogs have always been well trained and usually stay within their taught bounds, but when you leave for work sometimes they can venture off, so that is why a gate usually stops that.

Our dog was a rescue & came with a parcel of issues, not the least of which is that she is completely deaf (but has a normal bark!)

The fence destroying thing may have been an issue from a long past experience, or may just be her doggy relief...but it does allow us to realize just how much a dog can un-do in a very little time.

Any dog can do damage to a fence (not just yours in exiting, but others in entering) so it is something to keep in mind if you have feathered tasty treats & want them intact... esp. if your new lot is in an area with free ranging or feral dogs...

Which fence is strong enough to keep dogs out ?

That would depend on you lot (level vs un-level make a big difference) and the dogs. The only thing that our dog has not taken apart or deformed is our welded aluminum square tube gates (1/8" stock)

The heavier gauge wire on some chain link only gets slightly deformed (usually around the tension wire), the welded wire & lighter gauge chain link fences get undone.... she is a heeler mix (most likely pit) so would have less mouth strength than a rotty, but not a lot less... and if there are pit/rots in your area....

well I think that would probably take a day or so for the dogs to do that kind of work, im hoping my new "guard" dog isn't going to sit and watch feral dogs eat the gate.

My main concern is that my dog or goat doesn't run away or wander off..

Doesn't take our dog much time, if there is a dog on the other side of the fence, she can deform the fence in moments... esp. if both have their noses up in the links....she will pull it apart in one or two yanks....it is truly amazing & we have tried to work with her... & eliminate the "desire"...but sometimes there is just that wild hair!

RE: Fencing Questions - lquade - 07-08-2014

yep, carey, our mango (mutt, no pit in him i think) goes through a cheaper chain link (HD) in about 5 minutes. moved the hens into the old goat yard and put him in as mongoose guard and he beat me back to the house...with the hens following through the gap shortly after...

heavy hog fense (12 q with 11q top and bottom) hasnt had a problem.. with my dogs out, or foreign dogs in.. this was a hd chainlink gate. but now i know the weak point..

RE: Fencing Questions - Guest - 07-08-2014

Just FYI, when introducing a dog to a new area, if you walk on a leash around the yard daily for about a month when letting outside, they tend to not dig or anything when you leave them out after that, and learn the boundaries. This of course, will not work if your dog is an outdoor dog all the time and you do not set those boundaries.