Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fencing Questions
What would your guess be to fence an acre yard in HPP ? Chicken wire would be fine.
Many variables. Might want to use the search feature and then rephrase with some specifics.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
most recent fence thread:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18740

Chicken wire here is a months long lasting material....most is gone, by rusting away, within a year... and cannot stand up to most of the abuse a fence here must...

Some dogs, like ours, find that de-weaving chain link is a fun pass time, and a feral pig or bored kid would not even stop to think about a chicken wire fence... so if this is to protect small animals, it might stand up to the challenge... or not!

HPP lots do vary, with an acre being the average size, but there are many that are smaller & some that are larger.... but figure about 2x long as wide for the average lot...or AROUND 150' wide by 300' long (lots do vary & this is just a close proximate, as I do not think any are exactly this dimension...)
Maybe I'm not thinking of chicken wire...

Needs to keep small animals (dogs, goats) in and out

I just need an idea.. $100? $1,000? $10,000?
welded fence , 1x3 or 2x3 is probably the stuff you are thinking of... again the cost varies by linear ft & ht (and the joy of getting the fence posts in the referenced threa\d will give you some ideas....)

seems like $7-$10 [per linear ft may be the least to hire, but the cost of the materials is far lower than that...you just gotta get those posts (for a light weight fence, galvanized T posts will probably do...but still a bit of a bear to impale into hard lava rock...one per every 8-10 linear ft... lot of post impaling!
The 7-10$ helps a lot.

That means depending on shape of the lot, between 5-8k roughly
Can't agree with Carey enough... this topic recently beaten to death here: http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18740
You basically have 3 choices, from most expensive, to least: chain link, horsewire, or hog fencing. Horsewire has much smaller "grid" than the hog fencing, which our little dogs could get right thru with no problem. We just did an acre lot w/the horsewire. We got 4' high, 14-ft entry gate, some other gates, plus xtra duty posts at corners, etc. This brought it closer to 10K than to 8K. Unless you're good with running a jackhammer (I'm not), definitely hire someone. PM me for the guy's name & contact info. We were extremely pleased.
I've been seeing some rock "fence posts" made by filling a ring of fencing with baseball sized lava rocks and then using those as fence posts with field fencing running between them. The rings were probably between 12 and 18 nches in diameter. They've all been in the flats down in the lower part of HPP and I do foresee some issues with trying that on irregular terrain. I think it was on 3rd or so at the Kaloli dead end side, or at least in that general area where the ohis are tiny and the landscape is flat.

If you are thinking dog fencing for that rottie puppy you are looking for, we learned the hard way that if you have an adventurous puppy or two, a smaller area fenced tighter would have been way better than a fully fenced acre with lots of places for them to go under or over. Our dogs were Houdinis until they turned 3 and decided to just stay home unless we take them for walks, but until then we were constantly finding pukas we didn't know about because our lot isn't perfectly flat.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I have paid to fence in 2 separate acres and paid wildly different prices. Both jobs the same.

I used wood posts for the gate (2), 4 corners (4), and 2 in the middle of the long lines of the acre (2). Then used T bars every 10 feet. The post holes for the wood posts take the most time to dig. I used what I think are 6 inch square pasture fence sold at any supply shop in Hilo. I think they were like $240 for 300 feet.

Basically, the first time I did it I hired someone unknown for $5,000. Took 3-4 days. All in. The second one I hired a friend with the experience, bought everything myself, hauled to my property, and gave him $1,000 for the same 3-4 days work. I paid less than $2,500 for the second fence.

I guess what I'm saying is try to locate someone with some experience, other than the fencing companies, where prices start at 5,000 and go up. My friend isn't doing construction work anymore.

You can find a solid fence builder who will do it for $1,000 and you pay all the materials. I guess that's the point of your question but I don't have anyone to recommend currently.