Punaweb Forum
Fishin' - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fishin' (/showthread.php?tid=156)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Fishin' - HADave - 01-10-2006

Sure sounds like a great hike please be sure to report so we can have another perspective. I was always told there were no white sand beaches on the Puna coast so if you find it hope you bring a camera and take us all a picture and most of all be safe and have a great holoholokai.....

JM I sure hope we can wet a line together one day and talk sum story eh....

Mahi Mahi (strong strong) I'm told only lives 4 years, average and ranges 25 to 90 lbs. had my first taste there on The Island a recipe encrusted in macadamia nuts make my tongue juice just thinkin about it....

Aloha All Smile)

RE: Fishin' - David D - 01-10-2006

Hi HADave,

That Macadamia Nut Mahi Mahi sounds like you went to the Seaside Restaurant in Hilo. I had the same thing – Boy! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!!! My wife had the Volcano Shrimp, which was great! Deborah would only give me one small bite. We’ll be back in May – We can hardly wait.

David D

RE: Fishin' - HADave - 01-10-2006

Maybe we can work on our table muscles together at the Seaside I can't wait to enjoy it again. Haven't found a fish dish bettah yet!

Happy Trails

RE: Fishin' - Scott_S - 01-11-2006

If anyone wants some company on a fishing expedition count me in. Being from northern Michigan fishing and hunting is a big part of our lives, and I am a little worried about these activities on the Big Island.

Scott

RE: Fishin' - leilaniguy - 01-11-2006

Aloha Scott, plenty hunting here, just no deer. there's pheasant and goats in the high country, pigs everywhere. Some guys make a living here pig hunting.

RE: Fishin' - loffelkopffl - 01-11-2006

i've gone fishing many imes, but on a boat. caught ono, mahi mahi, ulua, and ahi. but it's not the same as fishing from river banks where i'm from. would like to try shore fishing but my friends don't do, just from boats. maybe i'll meet up with you guys and learn something.

RE: Fishin' - mella l - 01-11-2006

I'll be looking forward to the great fish stories that come out of this group!!! LOL

mella l

RE: Fishin' - jm minica - 01-11-2006

Sounds like a fishin' expedition is in the works. I'm bringing all my rods with me when I fly over, but my reels are shipping over in our crate. So I should have all my gear ready to fish by end of Feb., beginning of March. More than likely I wont be able to wait that long and I'll pick up a rod & reel combo to get me by.....
Aloha,
Mark

RE: Fishin' - Nate SC - 01-16-2006

Most folks use either Newell 600 or a Penn 114H or similar with a 12' to 13' rod from shore. Wire leaders are a must and range about 300lb test with 60-80 pound test line. The most common rig I've seen is a "carolina rig" for dead bait or a "dropper loop" for live bait. The weights are typically 6-8 ounce weights with swivels. Ulua are typically caught at night and over night fishing is very popular in the area. I'll have to keep in touch with you guys and head out with you. My wife says I'll fish in a puddle of spit.

RE: Fishin' - jm minica - 01-16-2006

LOL!! Luckily my wife likes to fish with me some of the time, but I like to fish so much that alot of times I do it by myself. I bought us his and hers surf casting rods before we went to the BI in August, and we did a little fishing @ Kapoho while we were there. I would go out snorkeling in the little bay where we were staying and see huge schools of Ono out there. But I never did get one to bite, I caught alot of one kind of fish that I didn't know(electric blue stripes down their sides), but I saw people selling at the market in Hilo.
Cant wait to wet a line in that warm tropical ocean...
Only 19 days left!
Aloha,
Mark