Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishin'
I am an avid fisherman to say the least. I did alot of fishing when I lived on the BI 16 years ago, but when I was there last August it seemed as though most of the spots I used to frequent are all private property now.....I'm hoping some of you fisherman out there will share a good spot or two with a fellow angler.

I'm not a fisherman myself, but I see a lot of people fishing at the bottom of Hawaiian Paradise Park and Hawaiian Shores as well as near Pohoiki and along Red Road. Definitely talk to the fishermen you meet in those places, since my understanding is that fishing in Hawaii is different than a lot of other places.

John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
We've gone fishing at East Point. Need a 4WD and be prepared for a bumpy ride. Instead of going Right to Champagne Ponds - go left. We've found a few points to fish off of - if you go far enough, there's a sandy area up the 30 ft cliff and there is a lava "finger" that goes out at least 100 feet into the ocean, we've caught several fish there.

Could someone elaborate on fishing, like as with rod and reel, net, ice trap on a inner tube, types of bait, types of fish caught, approx sizes, best cooked, best raw, Thanks HADave

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

I generally fish with a rod. But I have used other methods such as: spear fishing w/ a Hawaiian sling spear(fun and very challenging), cross netting (at high tide you string nets across the waterways goin into tide pools and when the tide goes out u pick the fish you want and let the rest go), throw netting (also kinda challenging), and flag lining (never seen this done anywhere but the BI). But mostly I'm just a rod angler. My favorite fish to catch in Hawaii are ahi, and ulua, both of which I have caught from the shore on the east side of the BI. You generally dont get the big ones from the shore, but they're fun to catch and quite delicious.
I have a 12' surfcasting rod that I rig with a slip bobber, enough weight to whip it out there a ways, and small fish(let the kids catch some small fish with some mackerel dough), or squid(buy it frozen on most stores) for bait.
It sounds like some of my old spots are still accessable. But definitely more "KAPU" signs around than there used to be.....

I guess I have the wrong impression and that is that all beaches on the island were available to the public. When did this change do you know?

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
ya, but you can't cross someones property to get to the "public" shoreline. There either has to be a public access, or get there along the shore if you can.

jm minica I too enjoy the thought of wetting a line but haven't had the chance for several years now but am hoping after our move to the The Island I'll manage to find the time.

Anyway in my quest for the undiscovered I stumbled on to the this sight which not only tells of of many fishing trails along the lower puna coast but also of a secluded White Sand Beach sshhhh! Of course I've never been there myself but John and Petra tell the story quite interestingly perhaps I'll see you there someday tripping along in your shorts and rubber slippahs toting a good catch eh?

Aloha and Enjoy The Adventure

www.bnb-aloha.com/haena_beach.shtml

Aloha HADave & Mz P

Hawaiian Acres

The best things in life are free.... or have no interest or payments for one full year.

If you ever get the urge to catch some fish, look me up when you get here.
Catch fish, talk story, not a bad way to spend a day in my book.

HA Dave! Thanks for the link to the hike in HPP. My husband just said this morning that he wanted to try a new hike by the ocean this weekend! We've hiked at the end of Maku'u which was really nice too, but we'll have to try this one.