Punaweb Forum
Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. (/showthread.php?tid=18192)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Lee M-S - 03-23-2017

I lived in Discovery Harbour for 6 months, about 9 years ago, right when Pu'u o'o opened. Yes, there is vog--all my tools rusted, and so did some of my jewelry. Some days were too voggy to go for a walk. It can depend on which way the wind is blowing.

Much of its population is snow birds, so it's kind of deserted during the spring and summer, much busier in the winter. And mostly older folks, but a few younger.

Nice community center, with various activities, including games night.

Streetlights everywhere. I could see 5 streetlights from my bedroom window. Sometimes approaching the place at night, it looked like there must be a fire lighting up the sky. I don't get the appeal of that. Apparently, the county pays for the maintenance and electricity for the streetlights.

County water, newspaper delivery (once they figure out where you are). Sign up for a mail box in Naalehu right away, it can take months for one to become available. Until you have a box, you'll get mail General Delivery. HELCO only came out to turn on electricity on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I was there, so sign up for that ASAP, too.

Going all the way to Hilo or Kona for groceries got old fast, but now there's a better store in HOVE. I don't know if the store in Naalehu has improved. You'll most likely still want to stock up in the "big city" at least once a month.

Lotsa guava and christmas berry. I don't remember coquis when I was there, but they may have arrived since. Ditto fire ants.

Weather is hotter and drier than Puna, and quite windy. Cooler and a bit wetter than Kona. I think DH tops out at about 1500' elevation, which keeps it cooler than sea level.

You can swim down by South Point, including at Green Sand Beach, but getting there takes a hike or 4WD.

I like Hana Hau restaurant, and the bakery has good lunches and snacks. My husband likes Shaka's, but I've never had a good meal there. I think that's all the local restaurants. My favorite Mexican restaurant on the island is in South Kona, at the Keahou shopping center, over by the theatre; Los Habaneros. Hole in the wall, good food.

did I mention it's remote? really, really, remote? Considered remote in one of the most remote places on earth?

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - glassnumbers - 03-23-2017

It is very remote, however, we are actually moving into a neighborhood in that area! Plus, we know an elderly couple that have lived in K'au for thirty years, they own the Shaka restaurant, which is quite helpful. Thank you for the DH information, I really appreciate it Smile

Aloha Smile

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-23-2017

we know an elderly couple that have lived in K'au for thirty years, they own the Shaka restaurant

Nice family, I've met their daughter (or granddaughter?). They'll definitely be of great assistance in helping you settle into the area.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Linchpin - 03-23-2017

I live in Ka'u, and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Moved around the island for a couple of years before deciding that this was the spot for us.
I live downtown Na'alehu while we build and get our land ready for the small time farming we plan to do.

I must say that I have never experienced *bad* VOG here, especially at 700ft elevation. I've seen it gather in the long stretch to HVNP, and I've seen it fill in HOVE, but never here in town.

Someone mentioned a grocery store here in Na'alehu. Not any more. Closed a little while back.
We do Costco runs every few months, get most sundry and grocery at the Hilo Target in between, and grab fresh fruits and veggies from the local farmers market or one of the two markets in Ocean View when need be.

It's old and slow and laid back in these parts. And that is just the way most of us like it.
There's a few places to eat here. Alohamix - a new food truck with the best damned steak plates and acai bowls you could ever have, Hana Hou has some good dinner specials and a not-too-bad loco moco. I was never impressed with Shaka's food though, fries were always waaaay overcooked.... wife liked the chicken though.

Not much of a night-life if that's your thing. Most things are closed shortly after the sun sets.
Very family and community oriented.
To me (and my family), it's perfect.

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - glassnumbers - 03-23-2017

I've never been one for night life, brah. I just want to chill out on the beach, swim, boogie board, smoke some pakalolo, listen to some music, eat some ono local food, and count my blessings that I can do that. I really, really like going to the beach. I'm looking forward to camping on Ho'okena, I wake up all the time at like 5 am, it would be killer to smoke a joint and watch the sun rise over the ocean. K'au isn't real beach-y but, our house is relatively huge, 2,256 square feet, that's about twice the size of our current home. It's also a really awesome house, it has one of those pocket walls in the dining room area so you can just open up the entire dining room and instantly be eating outside, it's bitchin'. Polished concrete floors, it's even got an ohana for vacation rentals. In between the big house and going to the beach, it's a real bummer waiting over here for stupid ESCRO to clear and all the irritating delays that are required. I mean it's only like, 45 days or so left to go, but each week feels like three.

I mean, as soon as I got off the airplane at night and felt the hawaiian air, I instantly was enchanted. I miss it so much there, even the GNARLY bugs, because when I would wake up in the little place we rented out there in K'au, there would be praying mantids hanging off of the second story window, just chillin' up there. the cane spiders are a little annoying though because they are gigantic and I encountered two of them in two weeks, one was even hanging out in my bathroom. :/ As for vog, I don't know, its weird. I visited the Volcano national park, and when I was cruising through the little rainforest area, along that trail where you can see the K'au desert, I felt awesome. The air there felt so clean and pure, I actually breathed a lot easier in Hawaii than I do on the mainland. I can't recall a single day ever having an issue with the air, honestly, and I got sick with a cold for the second week from rented snorkeling equipment.

Even though I was sick, I was still so happy to be there. The flowers are so cool there, all of the native plants just look exotic, even like, the lizards, they aren't lizards, they are geckos, and they are really pretty. Wild mynah birds fly everywhere...

and the sunrise and the sunset, my god. I thought I've seen beautiful sunsets, I've been to maryland and california and the states in-between, but wow. The Hawai'ian sunset/sunrise is so beautiful that it invokes a spiritual feeling. Plus, you read about tourist locations and they show you these glossy pictures of all these colorful fish in warm tropical water and you think "no way is it actually like that." but there are beaches and tide pools and snorkeling spots where it is, the fish in Hawai'i are so colorful and varied. I might have caught a cold there, but it was super awesome to see all those cool fish at that place. I've heard there is a pod of dolphins that hangs out at Ho'okena Beach, it would be cool to meet them too.

Aloha Smile

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Linchpin - 03-24-2017

Just what we need!
More jobless people living off family/friends who want to hang out on the beach and smoke pot all day.
Hawaii is lacking in that you know.
Glad all the money I have paid into Social Security over the last 30 years or so is there to help you. God knows I'll never see a penny of it.
(Yes, I'm making the broad assumption that you are able bodied and on SSI. Bet a wooden nickel that I'm right.)

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Rob Tucker - 03-24-2017

quote:
Originally posted by Linchpin

Just what we need!
More jobless people living off family/friends who want to hang out on the beach and smoke pot all day.
Glad all the money I have paid into Social Security over the last 30 years or so is there to help you. God knows I'll never see a penny of it.
(Yes, I'm making the broad assumption that you are able bodied and on SSI. Bet a wooden nickel that I'm right.)

Linchpin, Hawaii is part of the United States and as such it's citizens have the right to pursue happiness in any manner they prefer. I would appreciate it if you would consider not raining on someone else's parade. There is no aloha in it at all.

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Mimosa - 03-24-2017

Welcome to D.H. - We have 3 lots side by side.
Under the a'a depending on where in D.H. you happen to be - is about 300ft of the best well preserved sandy loam black cinder soil any where on this rock.
We dozed the middle lot and about 40 ft down we found this awesome layer of virgin soil . We grow dry land kalo and coffee .
Some areas of D.H. do not have this soil layer but ours does.We bring a truck load back to our puna farm every few months with the blessings of the God . Ka'u is a wonderful place to call home.Bring a good non electric non plastic parts can opener with you or 5 .

Mrs.Mimosa

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Obie - 03-24-2017

And you're 90 plus years old and drive a lifted Dodge 4x4 !

RE: Hi there! I'm moving to Discovery Harbor. - Punatic007 - 03-24-2017

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

quote:
Originally posted by Linchpin

Just what we need!

Linchpin, Hawaii is part of the United States and as such it's citizens have the right to pursue happiness in any manner they prefer. I would appreciate it if you would consider not raining on someone else's parade. There is no aloha in it at all.

Yes they do have the right to pursue happiness AS long as it is legal and legit.