Punaweb Forum
Safety of drinking catchment water? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Safety of drinking catchment water? (/showthread.php?tid=5156)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - HiloHaole - 02-09-2009

IMO, UV light is essential.

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - PaulW - 02-09-2009

I can't imagine a few snails, or even a hundred snails, would make much of an impact on thousands of gallons of constantly replenished water.

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - Kelena - 02-09-2009

Ten micron filter takes it out.

<<Prevention was an important topic. Andy Sarhanis outlined techniques everyone can implement to reduce habitats for rats and slugs: Keep your property clear and open, especially around vegetable gardens; don't feed rats by leaving fruit and macadamia nuts lying on the ground; hand pick slugs at night (wear gloves!); and keep catchment tanks covered to prevent slugs from going inside and possibly contaminating water supplies (a 10 micron filter was recommended, which will filter out the disease-causing nematodes).>>

Report on the meeting in Seaview from the Big Island Weekly. http://www.bigislandweekly.com/articles/2009/02/04/read/news/news03.txt

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - EightFingers - 02-09-2009

"...Ever notice the teeth of many of the children who live on catchment? ..."

That doesn't sound good - so what about their teeth?

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - Laughing_girl - 02-09-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Youser

A recent article in the HPP newsletter warned against wells in lower parts of the park. The porous land and lava tubes provide perfect pathways for open cess pit material to travel downhill towards the ocean and seep into wells along the way. If you live near the ocean you are open to 32 streets of human waste trying to find a way into your water supply. A good closed catchment system is preferable as you can control exactly what it going in it. I'd rather shower with catchment water any day as there are no toilets in the sky!

Yup. I cant get my head around waste water never running down hill into the well despite Daniel Diamond saying it is okay. Having seen too many tubes in heavy rains flood and - TP, etc pop up in a yard, I just would not be comfortable. But that's just me. Someone else might have no fear.

Sometimes you just have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down.

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - missydog1 - 02-09-2009

I wouldn't drink water from catchment,, and would only use it for showers if it were well disinfected. I'm fussy about water though. I Brita filter my County water!

A year ago they had a breakdown in the County wells in North Kohala when I was up there for the fair, and they hooked up an ag water well so people could shower, and I got an infection the day after showering in it that had to be treated with A-B's ... yes I know the ag water wasn't catchment but it wasn't sufficiently disinfected was the issue.

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - Devany - 02-09-2009

MAN! This discussion has made me VERY glad we are on county water.

I am with Kathy though, I still use filters with it.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.eastbaypotters.com
www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - lavalinda - 02-09-2009

Hey no one answered about the teeth of kids raised on catchment water!!

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - JonP - 02-09-2009

I assume it's about the fact that catchment water doesn't have flouride which is added for kid's dental health.

RE: Safety of drinking catchment water? - Guest - 02-09-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Devany

MAN! This discussion has made me VERY glad we are on county water.

I guess you haven't seen the county waterlines or the critters that do their business in them [:0]

Timkona, The missing teeth has much more to do with the lack of fluoride in the counties water... TOPPED OFF with the poor ass medical system we have in these islands.

Damon Tucker's Weblog