Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety of drinking catchment water?
This post "springs" from "The Honolulu Advertiser article -Disease outbreak on Big Island raising alarm among residents"

"CATCHMENT WATER

Big Island residents who drink water from catchments are worried whether slug slime could get in the water.

"The Department of Health has no evidence of infection from contaminated drinking water," Park said.

The rat lungworm parasite has been found in the slime left by slugs, but it's not known whether the low concentration found in the slime is enough to produce infection or contaminate catchment water because of the dilution effect, she said.

The Health Department's official stance is that catchment water shouldn't be used for drinking because of multiple health risks."

The last statement REALLY bothers me - how dangerous is catchment water? [V]

You have a hard time avoiding ingesting SOME water when taking a shower! [xx(]

How do you regulate chlorine concentration when it rains?

What if your renting and the water is NOT equipped with a UV filter - unless you pay for it? [8] [}Smile]

I am sure this topic is in the archives - BUT with this latest element "rat lungworm parasite" - it might need a review! [|)]

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
People who live at low elevation might seriously consider water well.

At 125 elevation my well will cost me only about twice a good catchment system.
I love my catchment system. It is completely closed. I keep all the plants from touching the house. Also, have filters and UV, according to what I read in (I think) the Herald-Tribune, a simple ten micron filter takes care of it.
A recent article in the HPP newsletter warned against wells in lower parts of the park. The porous land and lava tubes provide perfect pathways for open cess pit material to travel downhill towards the ocean and seep into wells along the way. If you live near the ocean you are open to 32 streets of human waste trying to find a way into your water supply. A good closed catchment system is preferable as you can control exactly what it going in it. I'd rather shower with catchment water any day as there are no toilets in the sky!
Catchment, Well, Stream, Bottle, Reservoir, Reclaimed....
The quality of water in each can be just as contaminated as the other source. The final quality is related to the quality of the purification process.
Maybe the Dept of Health should test my catchment tank if they need proof? I just had it professionally cleaned last week and I already have snails in it again.

How can people in Puna wash their vegetables with catchment tank water and be confident that they won't have to worry about possibly contracting the disease? There must be upwards of 20,000 people using catchment in Puna because of no county or private water lines.

The snail population in lower HPP in particular is bordering on epidemic. They are everywhere. Just about every step we take in our yard produces a "crunch" sound of a snails shell being stepped on.. They are on every plant in our garden that has leaves...even crawling up the sides of our house.
Lots of bleach and then use a large charcoal filter to remove the chlorine right before you run it through an R.O. membrane for drinking.

I'd throw a $1.00s worth of pennies in the catchment tank. Copper and zinc are both anti-algae/anti-fungals. and good for your health.
You need a lot of bleach to make a difference, and if you put that much in do you really want to drink the water? The U of H sells test kits for sale so you can make sure your catchment water is clean and potable.
I wonder if the test kit will show rat lungworm parasite in the catchment if it's there?
Ever notice the teeth of many of the children who live on catchment?

Someday the Politics of NO! will protest farm activities on Ag Land.
Liberalism thrives on the double standard.