Punaweb Forum
pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village (/showthread.php?tid=830)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Kahunascott - 01-03-2007

Rob,
How did Malama Market and the new gas station get built under the current zoning? I bet there was a lot of opposition to the Malama development and most of us couldn't live without it. I know we stop in more then once a week to pick up things. And, I see a lot of families that do their entire weeks shopping there. How convenient is Pahoa Hardware? Additionally, I see that they are expanding Malama to the other side of the parking lot adding a few more stores. I think that the Malama development was done in good taste and even though it’s modern it fits in quite well set back off the road. And, I think the new gas station sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m in agreement that we don’t need strip malls along 130, but change is coming to this area and if not embraced it will knock you over.
Remember most of us are a change (addition) to the community.
I see there was no objection to the new Pahoa Firehouse. Most of us say, “Well we need a new Fire Station” and I guess some of say we need more infrastructure to support the growing community?
It’s my guess that within 10 years Pahoa will look like Kea’au.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Rob Tucker - 01-03-2007

It is a matter of planning. Pahoa has infastructure and is simply here. Pahoa is encouraged to be a town or village and the Malama Market center is where Pahoa starts. It does not directly access onto Hwy. 130.

None of us are so foolish as to think that there will be no further growth. The Community Development Plan now underway got clear input from the public that they want, as much as possible, for Puna to remain a rural environment. A good way to achieve that is to prevent commercial sprawl along our roadways and concentrate our goods and services in our exisiting towns and the creation of new village centers within the large sub divisions.

We are extremely fortunate that we have no commercial development on Hwy 130 at this time. Rare moment in history to address this issue. The vote tomorrow could cross that line. Once you approve one commercial location by what logic do you prevent the next and the next and the next?

How to submit testimony to council consideration:

(from the county web site)

Submitting Testimony: Those persons wishing to testify in person must register with the Council/Clerk’s staff.

Those testifying in person and submitting written testimony should bring seventeen (17) copies of the testimony for distribution at the meeting.

Those persons unable to testify in person may submit testimony
(1) by mail to the County Clerk’s Office in Hilo at 25 Aupuni Street, Hilo, Hawai‘i 96720,
(2) by facsimile to (808) 961-8912, or
(3) by e-mail to counciltestimony@co.hawaii.hi.us.

Please submit a separate testimony for each item.
For testimonies submitted by e-mail or fax, copies will be made and distributed at the meeting when transmitted in a timely manner. In any case, both oral and written testimony will be considered public record.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Genxor - 01-03-2007

I am starting to be concerned and annoyed as an upcoming resident.
You know, many growth issues on the mainland start this exact same way.
Suburbanites move to rural areas to escape, creating "sprawl" in certain terms. Once there, they decide to be opposed to new development, roads, stores you name it.
In turn they command their elected representatives to oppose growth of any sort.
"We do not want new roads , Super Wal-Mart,or the new housing development down the road ".
The entire issue was created long ago - massive subdivisions ( no infrastructure, but thats a whole other topic ).
Let me be clear , I do not approve of this self storage or other eyesores built willy-nilly along 130. But too often , communities become against all change, and are still over-run with population, thus not having any infrastructure in place to handle that population.
I fear that is the future of Puna.
"Village centers in the larger subdivisions" ? In theory , in a new development , yes. In Puna reality now ? No.
Obviously, my concerns are not directed at this specific bill but rather the overall picture.
Kahunascott is absolutely correct, if Puna doesnt begin to aggressively prepare for the onslaught, it will be playing catch-up for years and years, just like the mainland.

Greg

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - JerryCarr - 01-03-2007

Aloha, Genxor:
Actually at least one of the larger subdivisions, HPP, had several reasonably large (20 acres each, I think) areas set aside for commerce, light industry, and educational use. None of these areas has as yet been put to such use, but if you look at the tax key map, the plots remain there, undivided. I am not sure if the proper zoning is in place, however.

Also, there is the nucleus of a commercial center in Orchidland with several businesses, but I don't know if it was originally planned that way. I also don't know what, if any, potential for expansion the Orchidland commercial area has.

In any case, there was at least a little bit of foresight in HPP. We can only hope that the Puna Community Development Plan takes advantage of the opportunity there. And yes, some will complain about this, too, but I was aware of these areas when I did my research before buying in HPP.

Perhaps someone else knows of other subdivisions with village center potential.

Cheers,
Jerry

All local residents are encouraged to participate in the Puna Community Development Plan.

You can start by visiting:
http://www.hawaiiislandplan.com

You can continue by finding areas of your interest and participating in the meetings and work product.

If you want to know even more you can contact me directly.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Carey - 01-03-2007

HPP note: The zoning on 15 large (20 acr) lots is still agriculture. 4 are owned by the Watumull Investmet (original owners of the HPP land & subdividers), 2 are owned by Paradise Hui c/o Paradise Park Owners Assn (one is Hui Malama), and 9 are owned by the Paradise Park Homeowners Assn (i.e. the homeowners)
The WI lots would need a change in zoning, the Homeowners Assn lots would also need assn. consensus to change.
Aloha, Carey

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Genxor - 01-04-2007

Carey you amaze me with your knowledge on all topics , perhaps Carey for council in upcoming years ? !
Jerry , research is everything , and I do enough for mke and the rest of this board Smile
I have frequented the Orchidland commercial area. It is convenient .
We were first buying there, but chose not.
In the end , it is coming.
As the population doubles and triples ,big box stores will build, the "neighborhood" stores will move from current establishments to nail salons and churches . We have all seen it happen on the mainland.
Lets try not to divide people , and understand that growth is coming whether we like it or not .

Greg

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - loffelkopffl - 01-04-2007

as it is i hate driving down hwy 130, i sure wouldn't want them to start building strip malls along side it. everyone who moves here always says "change" is inevitable, this is because they bring their "mainland" mentality with them, yes i'm from the "mainland", however i moved here to get away from that rat race.if this continues, it will be time to move on.

RE: pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village - Cathi - 01-04-2007

Aloha All,
Yes change is inevitable. Can change be directed in a positive manner and still retain some of the local flavor that we love? I believe we can try to achieve just that. Puna continues to be one of the most reasonable places to purchase land or a home in the state. As more people move here, more commercial entities will also want a piece of the action. As a resident of HPP since 1989 and a "local Hilo girl"-I have seen lots of change, some good and some not. I have lived on the mainland and chose to return my family to my home state.

Placing one more commercial building on the Highway is not safe. The police/fire station is on state land and available to the county. Yes-I would have preferred it in Pahoa town, because now Pahoa "town" will appear to extend across the highway. I watched the public meeting when Mr. Gardner requested (draft 2) his zone change. His testimony stated that when he purchased the land, he planned to live there, but when he realized that the police and fire station were going to be next door, his focus changed. It doesn't follow that our focus should change as well. It will add to the brake lights that we all see when we return to Puna from Hilo. Let's continue to encourage commercial development within "towns" and off highways. Mahalo!