Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pending Council vote threatens Pahoa Village
Important Council vote threatens the future of
Pahoa Village businesses

On Thursday Jan. 4th the council votes on

Bills 220 & 221

which create the first commercial zoning on Hwy. 130.

This legal precedent could pave the way for strip malls on the highway. Commercial development on Hwy. 130 would threaten every Pahoa business. Do you want this?

Tell all council members to
vote NO on Bill 220 and Bill 221

Council members phone: 961-8225

Council member email addresses go to:

http://co.hawaii.hi.us/council/districts.htm

While the Puna Community Development Plan is in progress it is inappropriate for such rezoning applications to be approved. Community input, via the CDP is to maintain the rural character of Puna. One commercial development, benign as it may seem, will lead to another. Do we want strip malls, car lots, bars and neon lights on our primary road way? Do we want mainland style development? What about traffic safety?

Bill 220 (2004-2006): Amends the State Land Use Boundaries Maps for the County of Hawai‘i by Changing the District Classification from the Agricultural to the Urban District at Keonepoko, Puna, Hawai‘i, Covered by Tax Map Key 1-5-7:53 (approx. 3.317 acres). {Timothy Lynn Gardner, Applicant.} Re: Comm. 680 Intr. by: Mr. Pilago Approve: PC-4

Bill 221 (Draft 2) (2004-2006): Amends Section 25-8-26 (Pahoa Zone Map), Article 8, Chapter 25 (Zoning Code) of the Hawai‘i County Code 1983 (2005 Edition), by Changing the District Classification from Agricultural (A-1a) to Industrial-Commercial Mixed (MCX-1a) at Keonepoko, Puna, Hawai‘i, Covered by Tax Map Key 1-5-7:53 (approx. 3.317 acres). {Timothy Lynn Gardner, Applicant.} Re: Comm. 680.1 Intr. by: Mr. Safarik (B/R) Approve: PC-5
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob:

Do you have an e-mail address for council members? I live off Island, am building a home in HPP, and I'd like to record my opinion as being opposed to any kind of strip mall development.

The current porposal is a self-storage facility. Could be anything once the commercial zoning is in place.

I suggest you directly refer to bills 220 & 221.

I have added the web site with council email addresses in the message above. Contact all council members. They all vote on it.

Mahalo

Punaweb moderator
quote:
The current porposal is a self-storage facility. Could be anything once the commercial zoning is in place.

I suggest you directly refer to bills 220 & 221.

I have added the web site with council email addresses in the messge above. Contact all council members. They all vote on it.

Mahalo

yikes!!!! self-storage facilities are Oahu's answer to the homeless problem. Let's hope the Big Island doesn't pick up that mentality too. With all the homeless on Oahu, instead of building affordable housing. They build these self-storage facilities so the homeless can store their belongings!!!! It pisses me off evertime I see them, and they are going up everywhere on Oahu these days. The intent is not noble that is for sure! I'd sure hate to see Puna start doing the same thing.

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
At present we are off island property owners, however, agree with Rob and spoke our voice to council members regarding our strong opposition to these bills. All of you who post so freely, frequently and vehemently should do the same. Mahalo.

I just sent e-mail to District 3 and 5 council members (J Yoshimoto and Emily I. Naeole) who represent Keaau and Puna asking them to vote NO on Bill 220 and 221.
Should I send to other members even though they're not representing Puna?

Here are their e-mail addresses:
jyoshimoto@co.hawaii.hi.us
enaeole@co.hawaii.hi.us

Val

I think that District 1 may reconsider this vote. Dominic Yagong. Definately include him.

Punaweb moderator
Done.

His e-mail address is dyagong@co.hawaii.hi.us

Thanks, Rob.

Rob -

Is this down by the school? or up the hill ?

I couldnt figure it out.

-Cat
It is on Hwy 130 within sight of the Pahoa Village entry.

Punaweb moderator