Punaweb Forum
HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? (/showthread.php?tid=9770)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - EightFingers - 01-12-2012

Shout-out to SH!

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - Kapohocat - 01-12-2012

quote:
Originally posted by ef9...
There is also a stipulation for county water as well, but am not sure on the details of that. Somehow Billy Kenoi got away with this requirement because the area had adequate rainfall for catchment....

There is requirement for water. It can either be county water, county well, or private well. If catchment is the only option the developer must apply for a water variance. This is not an automatic variance given to big developers, but usually it appears approval is reserved for those splitting a big lot into two lots - say a family selling part off to another family member. Because there is a restiction on # of houses on a lot even with lots of ground - a family with a large lot can not build a second or third house even if they own a lot of acreage - say +50 acres - unless they do an additional farm dwelling and then there is all the paperwork that is submitted to prove it is a working farm.

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - StillHope - 01-15-2012

It looks like there's not much interest in this topic.
I was not asking to share how much people pay or any private info (like the exact location).

I was hoping to see a general picture as far as all Puna is concerned (obviously,Seaview is out) in getting money back for pole connection.

There's a good possibility that most of current active PW-ers :
a) already received the refund;
b) off grid ( admiring those who could);
c) don't really care (either because it needs to be written off
as as the price of living in "paradise" or $3-5 K it's not a big deal).
There could be another reason -people who might be interested are busy and don't read PW often.

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - mailesomaha - 01-15-2012

Well, since I'm the only one who gave EXACT LOCATION AND COST, I guess this goes to me.

I thought I was helping, giving my and my neighbors particulars. That's not an easy thing to do; giving private info on a public forum. But I was willing to do that because I thought individual experiences would be helpful to see how one rates on a chart or gauge of some sort.

But, I did give the EXACT info on how Helco redeems according to "units"

It's not any different in any other subdivision, including yours.

So, my info and advice to you is EXACT!

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - mailesomaha - 01-15-2012

And that brings up a question that I've never been able to answer.

When someone brings up a topic on this forum and the topic begins to lean in a different direction, even though it's related; who decides when a respondent is off-base and needs to start a new forum?

The original poster? Someone who complains? The operating committee?
All of the above?

Because when I reply to a topic and that sort of response is given it rubs me the wrong way; kind of a pit in the stomach kind of thing.

Mailesomaha,I don't understand your last response.I am very grateful for your information.I thought that the lack of response might be caused by misunderstanding of what I asked to share.

As far as going in different direction - I consider it a natural way of any conversation. I don't mind any "side questions" and if the conversation is civil no administrative interference happens.
Though it would be sad if this topic would get drowned in the irrelevant comments and responses.

So back to the topic - you still can delete any information you regret posting .I don't think it's important how much exactly a customer paid.
But I don't mind sharing - I paid $2800 cash in full (Seavew )and had no other options in 2008.

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - DanielP - 01-15-2012

SH, Is it your perception that $2800 is expensive or cheap? Reletively speaking.

It could be less or more than the other people paid.
It's not the point.
The point was that Hell.Co recovered substantial part of the investment and is going to continue to recover their expenses while whole subdivision(s)will loose theirs.

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - Obie - 01-15-2012

I thought Helco was doing people in certain subdivisions a favor by lowering the true cost of providing power.

SSPP in Puna stands for Special Subdivision Project Provision and is a program installed by the Hawaiian Electric Light Company (HELCO) to provide line extensions to parcels in rural subdivisions.

HELCO has divided the eligible Puna areas into so-called SSPP units. Those within a given unit, who want to participate in the program, will share the cost. The participation in the program is voluntary. The cost varies wildly in different areas and depends not only on the location but also on the distance to an existing power line. But usually the cost is somewhere between $2,000-4,000, although we have seen it be as much as $8,000 in Hawaiian Acres.

The customer only pays 1/3 of the actual cost.

You can click on this link to see how many of your neighbors have paid.

http://www.helcohi.com/vcmcontent/HELCO/BusinessServices/SSPP_Tax_Map_Key_List.pdf

RE: HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area? - DanielP - 01-15-2012

SH, So the problem is that HELCO might have gotten over on ya; eh? OMG!