Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP got lucky with Hell.Co, how about your area?
I am wondering if anyone checked with the electric company from limbo on the status of your so called "deposit" on SSPP (pole connection).

On this forum I learned that the forum member from HPP got the deposit back.

So I got the info from the "horse's mouth".The horse was very nice, but the news are very bad for Seaview residents.

Here's what I learned:

1.The time frame for the deposit to be refunded - 15 years.

2.Helco needs to recover ALL the money they invested to issue a refund.
(Allegedly - I didn't read all the fine print on the agreement when signed it (no point - I didn't plan off-grid and no other companies,as you know...).

3.Seaview is on the last year of the agreement,400K left ($1.6 millions invested, 1.2 recovered).
And,quoting the "horse", there's no way that much can be recovered in a year.

Unlike years ago,many people now have to pay upfront IN FULL,and cash only to get connected. And in some cases it's up to $4K.

So what's the status in other subdivisions if you don't mind sharing?

Whatever you assume,please
just ask a question first.
in PeeWee Herman voice:

"Can you say M O N O P O L Y?"

HPP isnt built out by any means. Maybe they do it by block?
I don't know how Hell.Co does it.So I removed "subdivision" word where next to "invested".
All I know that the PW member from lower HPP posted that he had his deposit refunded.
If it is done by "unit" it would be helpful to learn what is the approx.size. 1.6 million sounds too much for a small street and most of the streets in Seaview are small.
There's a time frame within which to recoup to then receive a refund?

SHUT UP!

I never thought of it as a deposit. Just a cost the cheapskate developers didn't pay way back when gas was .27 cent a gallon, minimum wage was a buck and a quarter, a stamp was a nickle and I.....um......wasn't even born yet....
yeah, that's it, not until 10 yrs later

I just paid mine off...$5,039. Would have been less if more neighbors hui'd. Hellco definitely said when other peeps pay on the same pole extension, I'll be receiving a proportionate refund. They have "Unit No.s" and when others' in the same "Unit" pay, a refund is in order. Go to their office and ask for the info regarding your "Unit No". It's on your contract.

It's like I loaned my unknown to me neighbors money. It's my money and I want it now; you know, that irritating commercial.
Maile is so right. I work at HELCO and understand this situation too well. The developers are the ones who run away with all the money and the ignorant lot owner is the one who suffers.

Now the county is requiring all new developments to provide ALL utilities within the "subdivision" to avoid this problem.

There is also a stipulation for county water as well, but am not sure on the details of that. Somehow Billy Kenoi got away with this requirement because the area had adequate rainfall for catchment.

quote:
Originally posted by mailesomaha

There's a time frame within which to recoup to then receive a refund?

SHUT UP!

I never thought of it as a deposit. Just a cost the cheapskate developers didn't pay way back when gas was .27 cent a gallon, minimum wage was a buck and a quarter, a stamp was a nickle and I.....um......wasn't even born yet....
yeah, that's it, not until 10 yrs later

I just paid mine off...$5,039. Would have been less if more neighbors hui'd. Hellco definitely said when other peeps pay on the same pole extension, I'll be receiving a proportionate refund. They have "Unit No.s" and when others' in the same "Unit" pay, a refund is in order. Go to their office and ask for the info regarding your "Unit No". It's on your contract.

It's like I loaned my unknown to me neighbors money. It's my money and I want it now; you know, that irritating commercial.

ef9,it's great to have someone on the forum who works for the electric company.
I'd like to know why 15 years is the limit on receiving my money back.
And what if your company recovers 99%, the people in my area still get nothing?

The bottom line is it doesn't do any good at this point to waste time on blaming dishonest developers - it's done.
The question is how to get at least some of our money back or get that 15 - year limit extended/removed.

May be our local political and legal minds will chime in?
HELCO is regulated by the PUC. That may be an avenue you would want to try. Also, keep in mind that Maui, nor Oahu has this SSPP program.
My point is that your company will eventually recover ALL the money,and it could very well may be just a year after 15.
Hell.Co gets to recover all the cost (or might be even more if with interest on couple of millions) and most Puna people for whom it was a hardship will get nothing?
Hell.Co or PUC ,it does feel like a scam.
Not 100% true. HELCO may never recover the costs. The customer density in the Puna area is just too small (not enough customers per square mile).
I was mostly referring to 15 years limit.As you see in the example of Seaview it's is very possible to recover,let's say in 5 more years (the construction is still going on).
At any rate,even if it takes another 10 years to completely recover why the customers get NO money at all if it's NOT a scam?
I'd understand possible deductions but completely nothing if the Hell.Co gets all or most of the expenses back?