Punaweb Forum
Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? (/showthread.php?tid=15770)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - Kapoho Joe - 05-03-2015

so you wont be signing then?

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - dmbwest - 05-03-2015

More than one over ppd limits Rob ...

Have a good week.
aloha,
pog

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - Punatic007 - 05-03-2015

quote:
Originally posted by wailani

Don't frustrate yourself. No matter how many names are on the petition, Billy Kenoi will serve out the rest of his term. You know it, I know it, and Billy knows it.

What? I don't know it.

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - TomK - 05-04-2015

Kenoi is due to appear before the county Board of Ethics on May 13 according to the Star Advertiser. Sorry, it's behind a paywall. I couldn't find the story elsewhere.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspremium/20150504__Big_Isle_mayor_to_appear_before_Ethics_Board.html?id=302387691

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - Chunkster - 05-04-2015

The Ethics Board has not been particularly strong in dealing with politicians in the past, their authority (and inclination to use it) being rather limited. The Attorney General's investigation is our best hope for some serious action against Kenoi, but even then, the good old boys will be in the background trying to insure that the status quo isn't shaken up too much. Too bad the Feds don't seem very interested so far.

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - TomK - 05-04-2015

Agreed, although in this case there's essentially a confession of unethical behavior by Kenoi. It'll be interesting to see how the board handles this.

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - ironyak - 05-05-2015

Star-Advertiser article, per the library (need card for full access)

http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.librarieshawaii.org:2048/news/docview/1678473074/571011BC9F094693PQ/5
The complaint against Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi over misuse of his county-issued purchasing card will go before the county Board of Ethics on May 13, when three Kenoi appointees will consider options against the mayor and his finance director.

The complaint was filed by Kapaau resident Lanric Hyland, 76, a retired jail administrator who wants to see Kenoi removed from office and put behind bars for billing taxpayers more than $129,000 in "pCard" purchases during his two terms as mayor beginning in December 2008.

Kenoi spokesman Peter Boylan said Kenoi expects to appear at the Board of Ethics meeting, scheduled for the County Council chambers in Hilo.

Kenoi has publicly apologized twice, taken responsibility and reimbursed the county $31,112.59 after racking up $129,580.73 on his pCard, spending that included a $1,200 surfboard and tabs at Oahu hostess bars -- $400 at the Camelot Restaurant and Lounge and $892 at Club Evergreen.

In his petition to the county Board of Ethics, Hyland called Kenoi a "common thief" who "has stolen thousands of dollars from the taxpayers."

Hyland wrote, "I want to see him spend time in prison for the felony offenses which he committed."

While it is up to the state attorney general to decide whether there's a criminal case against Kenoi, the three-member board has several options.

It can defer hearing Hyland's petition until the outcome of the AG's investigation.

The board, as it often does, might also discuss the petition against Kenoi and Finance Director Deanna Sako, whose office proc­essed Kenoi's expenditures, in executive session -- meaning behind closed doors.

By law the Board of Ethics must notify the public on its agenda by Thursday whether it intends to go into executive session, said Rod Antone, Maui County spokes­man. To avoid an apparent conflict of interest, Maui County's corporation counsel is advising the Hawaii County board.

"They can go into executive session," Antone said. "But if they do, they will have to put their intention on the agenda."

Any decisions made in executive session would have to be announced in public.

Or the board can take a cue from Hawaii County Prosecutor Mitch Roth, who cited a conflict of interest and asked the state attorney general to investigate any possible criminal wrongdoing by Kenoi.

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - opihikao - 05-05-2015

FYI:

Spokesman: Kenoi doesn't plan to run for office after 2016

Hawaii County Mayor Billy Kenoi does not plan on running for any office once his term ends in 2016, says his spokesman Peter Boylan.

He is in the process of closing his campaign account, Boylan said.

Kenoi, who had been considered a rising star in Hawaii politics, was thought to be a frontrunner for governor or a congressional seat.

However, the Hawaii County mayor’s use of the county’s credit card for personal purchases, lavish spending on travel and hostess bars has made him the target of controversy.

Kenoi is being investigated by the county Ethics Board and the state attorney general for his pCard abuse.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150505_Spokesman_Kenoi_doesnt_plan_to_run_for_office_after_2016.html?id=302693661

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - Chunkster - 05-05-2015

Thanks for posting this latest, Opihikao. Billy's ego is so vast and his sense of entitlement to office so intense, I can easily see him changing his mind after he thinks people have forgotten. Unless he is disqualified due to a criminal conviction, I think there is a 50-50 chance he might try again. Hopefully, that would be folly, but anything could happen.

RE: Billy Kenoi gets a what?? - opihikao - 05-06-2015

Aloha kakahiaka, Chunkster. I'm wondering if this is part of a "deal" with AG (not to run again for any office). Seen it happen before in Hawai'i politics. Don't run again, you get to "walk" on potential criminal charges, kind of "deal".

Kenoi's "intent" may be harder to prove for the AG, thus, cut a deal, perhaps?

Either way, his career in politics may have been dealt a fatal blow, by his own hand. Maybe he'll go into private practice as he already has a lot of potential client/friends who may need a lawyer.

I feel very badly for his wife and children.

JMO.