Punaweb Forum
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's (/showthread.php?tid=11989)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Kapohocat - 11-17-2013

I think that based on Richard Ha's opinion (and I trust his opinion) that although the gist of the GMO bill is a good thing, the final disposition and implementation is harmful to small farmers and does exactly opposite of what is intended: it gives the big corporate farms the edge with their league of attorneys and ability to fight any regulations in place.

I also think that Russell has a vested interest in this bill. I just recently read an article that stated the growing organic market has not caused prices to lower at places like Whole Foods, Etc as the supply becomes more and more available. The article states that an increased supply (lower pricing) is not being passed on to consumers. The farmers at all our local farmer's markets are IN's direct competitors. Cut them off and it cuts off a good portion of the competition every Saturday, Sunday, Wednesdays....

I am not saying that Russel doesnt have some valid points too but please at least look at how Russell will benefit from the passing of this.

My 2 cents.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - dragon2k - 11-17-2013

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/17/202684064/in-oregon-the-gmo-wheat-mystery-deepens

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/08/media-no-closer-to-solving-gmo-wheat-mystery-than-usda/#.Uok1lsR96q0

Just a small taste of the effects of cross pollination through the wind. Imagine if Hawaii Island coffee was slapped with a GMO label? Would prices go up or down?

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - peteadams - 11-17-2013

If a GMO remedy was found for the coffee borer beetle, how would Big Island coffee farmers react? The beetle was recently found near Hilo and I don't think there's any reason that it won't go further. If they are faced with significantly declining crop yields due to a beetle and a solution is offered that does not involve spraying pesticides, would they take it? It might involve a price hit, or it might not. Be interesting to hear how the farmers themselves feel.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - peteadams - 11-17-2013

Russell's vested interested in promoting organic-labeled foods for his business is not the only issue. An article on outside interests in anti-GMO activities in Hawai'i suggests ideological interests are at stake, but economic interests obviously follow hand-in-hand:

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2013/09/03/hawaii-anti-gmo-corruption-scandal-genetic-literacy-project-investigation-underway/#.Uok59JEZfR3
quote:
Although they claim their opposition to the innovative technology is home grown, a Genetic Literacy Project investigation, still in its infancy, suggests that the opposition is flush with cash, getting hundreds of thousands of dollars each year from mainland anti-GMO organic organizations that have an ideological stake in blocking new farming technologies.

For nearly a decade, an impressionable anti-GMO mob mentality has been carefully cultivated on Hawaii island, but documents reviewed by the GLP suggest this increasingly ugly turn has been nurtured by slick and well financed outsiders. They also raise disturbing questions about the possible misreporting of campaign contributions by Walter Ritte, suggesting there may be violations of Hawaiian election financing and disclosure law.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - dragon2k - 11-17-2013

IF GMO FOOD IS SO BAD THEN WHY DON'T WE LABEL IT?

Just sayin'

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Guest - 11-17-2013

Not knowing much about the Gmo debate, may I add my two cents though. Maybe 9 out of every 10 papaya's sold out of Hawaii are grown right here in Puna?. If this number is accurate, I would like to know how much of this is Gmo grown? IS the quality as good and tasteful as the strains that are being weeded out?. Can Gmo make the papaya better for you nutritionally than say the older strains? I simply don't know enough of the positive impacts this can provide to our small farmer's community?. Is it my imagination or doesn't it seem that the papaya tree's still die of this or other similar diseases or viruses?. I still see plenty of these so called ring spot's on papaya in the hands of our tourist and local folk's, so I guess I am not sure what has been saved yet. Oh and can the pesticides or fumigations cause anything like, please excuse my spelling but Bells Palsi or exyma?. We in the family have had both living close to these papaya fields (100 ft or less) down wind in both cases so just wondering. Is there an on-going long-term health study included with this million dollar Gmo experimentation project by the state here in Puna? If so by who, this effects thousands of acres of land forever and people if I am not mistaken. Please chime in and let me know what a fool I am for some of my Questions, much appreciated.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - kalakoa - 11-17-2013

I'll see D2K's point, and raise:

If GMO is such an incredibly wonderful holy grail of advanced technology, why isn't Big Ag proud to put it on the label? (In fact, they actively fight any effort to label GMO products as such... as if it's a dirty secret to be hidden from the public...?)

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Obie - 11-17-2013

Could it be that the "Silent Majority" doesn't want to pay for labeling.

The majority of the population can understand that GM is not harmful.

You have labeling on organic and if that's what you want to eat fine,I am getting a little creeped out by organic farmers talking about humanure !!!!

I always avoid the organic label because you just never know what that sticker means at the farmer's markets.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - snorkle - 11-17-2013

Yeah, what's up with all that "organic" stuff? A little pesticide, antibiotics or HGH in our food couldn't possibly be bad for us. Aren't our organs there to filter out all that junk anyway?

I'll take white bread, processed, and chemically preserved food over fresh homegrown food any day. Even if it has no nutrition; it's safe, and has a tremendous shelf life.

What's good for agribusiness is good for everybody.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Obie - 11-17-2013

snorkle

You're post would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic !!!!

Got any legitimate websites to prove any of that ??