Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
WootWoot!!! Big step in the right direction for everyone on our Isle.

http://soundofheart.org/galacticfreepres...s-ban-gmos

Living on the side of creation.
Living on the side of creation.
GMOs have NOT been banned on Big Island.

From the article:
"The Bill 113 passed out of committee and is progressing to the full Council, set for October 16th."

This is a poor article with an inaccurate headline. I have had to correct 6 people in 6 different forums that posted this article...and it keeps spreading like wild fire.

Please try to get your "news" from reliable sources. And before you post this "news" to spread the word...make sure the headline is accurate.

It's no wonder there are so many misinformed people around...everyone reads headlines, but not the full story.

It doesn't matter what side of the issue you are on...truth is universal.
---
The issue is called sensationalism - and nearly all of us are guilty as charged these days.

Another issue, more subject specific is that writers no longer write their own headlines - their editors do - this is based off studies showing people read the headlines - not articles. Great way to propagandize.
I doubt the papaya farmers would agree that having know-nothings tell them what they can grow was a step in the right direction.
If the headline was true.

I agree with Tedd, too many people here post stories from websites that aren't worth the electrons they're printed on.
It all boils down to this for me: First, such a ban is on shaky constitutional ground in terms of whether the county has the right to trump state and federal agricultural regulations. Second, even in the unlikely event such an ordinance is legal, it makes us look foolish, there being no real scientific evidence of harm from GMO. And finally, we have so many more pressing financial, infrastructure, and social needs going unmet in this county that one has to wonder why the hell the council is wasting time on this. It makes no sense at all.
County is quick to cede to "preemption" when it suits them, as with LLEP.
Yes it IS a waste of time,energy and tax payers dollars,come on county council,get some real work done for once!!!!!
Not being snide but what happens to the state's papaya industry if this passes? Are they not considered GMO?
Richard Ha's blog has a farmer's perspective on the GMO legislation and it's well worth reading his many posts on the subject. He also has a number of links for further information on GMO. http://hahaha.hamakuasprings.com

"Not being snide but what happens to the state's papaya industry if this passes? Are they not considered GMO?" Richard's early take on Hawai'i County criminalizing its own farmers:

http://hahaha.hamakuasprings.com/2013/08...y-sad.html
On the day the bill passes there's a photo-op they shouldn't miss out on: county council members using machetes to cut down papaya trees.