Punaweb Forum
why do we live(or come)here? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: why do we live(or come)here? (/showthread.php?tid=6724)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - Rob Tucker - 01-10-2010

chrisb483,

With 28 posts to date on Punaweb you are a newbie.

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - ric - 01-10-2010

quote:
Originally posted by chrisb483

It is the individualistic thread that runs through the area which turns me off the most. Good luck with that.

But it's sort of funny, all the 'individualistic types' seem to look alike! hmmm . . .

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - missydog1 - 01-10-2010

hey thanks for answering the question about attitude.

FYI the "get it" comment related only to why a person might object to this: "what are other peoples feelings on this matter who have lived here for more than 10 years and arent older than 30 lol? Ive noticed that the older crowd here whos retired or close to it seem to been fine with these issues i have cause they spend most of their time at home."

I wasn't suggesting anything like you don't "get it" with respect to life on the island, so there was no need to go on the defensive about that.
quote:
you seem to not be able to understand things to well
Lol, yep, I get that a lot; that's why I keep trying.

As for the air quality, isn't that a separate question? An effect of nature? No matter how people behave, that is not under anyone's control. It could also stop at any time, or get worse.

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - Dave M - 01-10-2010

Hello islandliving,

Just wait until you get to whereever your new paradise is. You'll most likely be amazed at how much better it (whereever it is) was 10 years ago.. I don't disagree with all your complaints, at all.

Two families just recently moved here (hill Country), from there, (One from north of Hilo and one from the Pahoa area). They both have rplied basically the same way when they found out I wanted to mover to the BI.. "no you don't" and the other was "you just think you want to move to the BI"

But here's the deal EVERWHERE was better 10 years ago.. When I moved to N. County San Diego all I ever heard was how much better it used to be.. Now when I talk to friends there all they can talk about is how much better it was back when I lived there..

So ya see I don't think you have as much of a problem with Puna as you do being 30 years old. The reason all the old foggies don't seem, to you, to care is because they have resolved themselves to the inevitable..

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

thanks ric ...
islandlving, Rob gives wise advice. You will get more perspective when you've been other places. You will see that humans muck things up in lots of other places too. You see the place you've lived going through negative changes. The place I grew up - has gone through changes 1000 times worse than what you've seen happen to Hawai'i. The world has been changing for the worse. But because your head is in one locality, you think it is worse here than elsewhere. It's not. Or you expect this to be the place where bad changes won't come, even though other people's home towns go to hell. It doesn't work like that either. Hawai'i is not immune to the problems that come with exploding global population and depletion of resources, etc..

ETA, right on Dave.

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - islandlvng - 01-10-2010

does skiing blackcomb,whistler, going to Brasil and China to purchase plants or spending 5 months on a across U.S. driving trip taking pictures and living life before moving back to hawaii to build a house count as traveling? I have 1 family member here in Hawaii. All the rest on west coast and some in colorado area. So i do a 'little' traveling. and once again, my opening topic had no attacks on hawaii or the residents. the defense came with the unusual response's and the way it unfortunatly offended alot of people (somehow). I swear ive read my own opening post 100 times to find fault with it. The only thing i could find that might offend some would be the commment about older people staying at home. I know MANY older couples who do not go for walks anymore, go to the beach for a nice swim anymore, i grew up on nene st in keaukaha. Older people loved to walk that road all day, same out here in hpp. Not anymore. Traffic, idiot drivers, vog ect... Older people who would regularly go into town avoid it at all costs now because of the way things have become. Its no secret there, 20 year history on this island, i know more than just the 30 and under crowd believe me. It was a harmless question to get the feelings of other people in my current situation that was taken out of context period. I cant believe im still trying to defend myself. I throw the white flag. Congrats

ed to add -
I never said anything criticizing grammar and spelling, anywhere here. Interesting that people have mentioned it repeatedly when it didn't happen.

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - kani-lehua - 01-10-2010

imo, i think you have some very valid points and HAVE taken some type of action (s) to support the aina, the ocean and the community. don't throw in the white flag, islandlvng. take with you to your new home, wherever that may be, the same kind of commitment and energy. there's no doubt in my mind that you love the BI despite the negativity you have experienced in your 30 years of life.

so why did i/we come here? it's better than living on o'ahu (imo). there are other reasons, but that's it in a nutshell.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - Rob Tucker - 01-10-2010

islandlvng,

You have received responses to your question though you may not like them all. Please don;t blame us if we are not familiar with your situation or background. All we have to go on are your words.

I am curious to hear your answer to why you are here, came here or stay here. I doubt that other people's reasonings are as important to you as your own and you do seem to have reached some conclusions. Blackcomb, Whistler, Brazil and China have all apparently given you something to consider as alternatives. Why are you in Puna?

One of the great things about the United States is that you get to vote with your feet and move on. If you are unhappy somewhere no one requires you to stay.

RE: why do we live(or come)here? - Del Pranke - 01-10-2010

We're all here because we are not all there.