Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we live(or come)here?
After reading about the cat incident and seeing the responses and where they led to, i would like to really hear why people still live here and come here to the B.I. We have lived on the BI for over 20 years, with a couple of years here and there in Washington and Oregon and are going to be moving away for good this time. I have seen a HORRIBLE change here. The air quality, the attitude of both "local" and "haole" people. Jobs are right back where they were in the late 90's, none existent. Prices continue to go through the roof, gas,electric,food and at alot higher rate than elsewhere. Traffic in the last 5-7 years has gone nuts and the poorly designed roads is a absolute joke i mean look at whats going on in Pahoa?????? I speak with visitors from the mainland on a regular basis, usually ones with a little money in their pockets and although they have nice things to say, the norm seems to be, " a nice place to visit, but i'd never live here." Everywhere has its ups and downs but this is not paradise here. At least not anymore. Trash is everywhere!!! I work as a manager for a beautiful orchid nursery and used to surf with HASA and my love for the ocean and this land is great and I have continually watched this area go down toliet. what are other peoples feelings on this matter who have lived here for more than 10 years and arent older than 30 lol? Ive noticed that the older crowd here whos retired or close to it seem to been fine with these issues i have cause they spend most of their time at home. And yeah i read the 15 or so reasons from Mr Tucker. Not very convincing esepecially since the Crips have been here since i was 12 that i know of along with several other gangs. Theres just no place for 50 people dressed in blue to hang out for everyone to see. But they're here.
I will repost what i said earlier. there are 2 reasons IMHO (i'm NOT the second one)

1. they are from hawaii, with family on this island and need a cheap place to live, since the rest of the state is a lot more expensive than puna

2. they are from some other place and want to live in some imagined bubble universe of "living with the earth" etc (you know the people) .....

>>> what are other peoples feelings on this matter who have lived here for more than 10 years and arent older than 30 lol?

I find it somewhat offensive for you to post a topic on a forum where by far most people are over 30 and then say only people under 30 should reply. This is a community discussion and you just locked out most of the community. Then add members who have lived here more than a decade but under 30, and how many is that?

I'm real happy to hear from your target group and everyone else, but the age exclusion doesn't cut it for me.
Likewise, I'm not going to post a topic saying I don't want to hear from anyone under 50.
Straw!

Oops I'm over 30 so don't read my response!

mella l

"New York London Paris Hilo"
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Maybe this topic should be renamed "Why I'm leaving" because that pretty much sums up the original post! And if you only want to hear from people under 30 who have lived here more than 10 years that is a pretty narrow demographic. FYI there are a lot of years between 30 and retirement when people don't "spend most of their time at home". Are you sure you aren't really saying you only want to hear from people just like you?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The Abbey Hoffman/Hippie mantra "Never trust anyone over 30". So what's new?
1. It's gorgeous. Round a corner and inhale sharply at the view.
2. It's sensuous.
3. The heart beats slower.
4. Breathing is deeper.
5. For people over 50, it seems like the entire world is going to hell in a handbasket. This place is going to hell much slower.
6. Nice fat avocados and adorable, tasty bananas...
7. Warm water.
8. In case of war, famine or insurrection, this is a good place to be.
9. Volcano adds an undercurrent of mostly benign drama to daily life and reminds us daily that we are but a blink of the eye, and that we should start living like it.
10. Got water? Puna does.
11. Green papaya salad lady.
12. Grown much of your own food very easily.
13. Turtles, dolphins and tangs, oh my!
14. The place has its own damn dance, for crissakes.
15. Attracts iconoclasts.
16. Attracts individualists and pioneer-spirits. Repels wusses.
17. Attracts artists.
18. Attracts spiritualists.
19. The place has its own soundtrack. Does Oregon? No.
20. Not very many people.

Thank you for visiting! Please drop your trash off at the transfer station on the way out!
thanks for sticking to my question glen, those are things i like to hear. as to the others, aw and here we go. typical. Is there a neon sign stating the age of everyone on here KathyH? unbelievable how many topics or questions on this website go off course. I even ended with a lol to be light-hearted. Im OPEN to all comments. only 2 responses and KathyH has to be somewhat offended "LOL". Your reply has nothing to do with my question at hand PERIOD. so why reply if you are "locked out" of my topic. If there is only a hand-ful of people in that bracket let THEM reply and dont waste my time being pathetic. Again, im open to all comments, just more interested in a certain range. And yes this is a COMMUNITY DISCUSSION and i have no power to exclude anyone. I made a simple request and youre offended. lighten up, go down to the beach and smoke a joint. uh oh, i suggested using marijuana, how many people did i just offend???? lets hear about that and not my original topic............................. thumbs down, but then again this is what i shouldve expected at Punaweb.
I could not help but to respond to this one since it is another bad VOG day and find it easier to stay inside then wander out and get a headache.

1. It's gorgeous. Round a corner and inhale sharply at the view.

How long can one do that for before you notice the garbage and the plastics washing up on the shore. And you cannot inhale the view so deeply today because it cannot be seen through the VOG.

2. It's sensuous.

OK, so if you are hedonistic this place is for you. Got it.

3. The heart beats slower.

It depends, yeah? I heard a guy say he got jumped in Pahoa the other night, his heart was beating faster I assure you.

4. Breathing is deeper.

Not on VOG days. But granted, when the air is clean, it is very clean, and is the one thing I will miss.

5. For people over 50, it seems like the entire world is going to hell in a handbasket. This place is going to hell much slower.

I disagree. Hawaii is a canary in a coal mine.

6. Nice fat avocados and adorable, tasty bananas...

Eh...again, just hedonistic.

7. Warm water.

I would rather live in Sardegna. And the water here is SOOOO salty.

8. In case of war, famine or insurrection, this is a good place to be.

Ha, we will wait on that one. I think it would turn into lord of the flies here pretty quick. Each one of you individualists fighting each other.

9. Volcano adds an undercurrent of mostly benign drama to daily life and reminds us daily that we are but a blink of the eye, and that we should start living like it.

It reminds you to start living that way, but people don't. So that was useless.

10. Got water? Puna does.

So does the North West.

11. Green papaya salad lady.

Agreed.

12. Grown much of your own food very easily.

Yes, for now, but have you noticed how farmer's yields have been decreasing steadily for most crops on the island?

13. Turtles, dolphins and tangs, oh my!

This would be great if I did not know about all the septic tanks that leach right into the ocean.

14. The place has its own damn dance, for crissakes.

More hedonism.

15. Attracts iconoclasts.

It is one thing to attack dogma with a cause, another thing to do it cause it seems cool.

16. Attracts individualists and pioneer-spirits. Repels wusses.

Wusses are people who are too weak to share.

17. Attracts artists.

Not good ones.

18. Attracts spiritualists.

No, not really. They are mainly deluded people who think they are spiritual.

19. The place has its own soundtrack. Does Oregon? No.

Not sure what this means.

20. Not very many people.

Yes, see, you do not like people. As do many other people here.

if you don't see why it's lame to say you only want to hear from people who are under 30, sorry you can't ... when you're over 30 you might get it.
You didn't say you were open to all comments, so don't backpedal ...
As for the topic, how can I respond? I'm over 30 and you already wrote my opinions off as of no value.

I would like to hear more from you about what you mean here: "the attitude of both "local" and "haole" people"
The air quality (vog), traffic, job situation, and prices - I hear where you're coming from, but how would you describe the attitude you dislike more specifically?
Not asking because I want to argue, but because that could mean a lot of different things.