Punaweb Forum
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's (/showthread.php?tid=11989)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - kalakoa - 11-29-2013

Studies have been done, studies don't need to be done, whatever.

Sure seems like Monsanto spends lots of money burying studies. Purely a marketing ploy?

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - OpenD - 11-29-2013

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoaSure seems like Monsanto spends lots of money burying studies.

Sure seems like opponents spend a lot of time inventing fiction like this. I'm sure you have no evidence for this statement.

Start with this... GMO does not equal Monsanto does not equal GMO. Let's see if we can just get everyone aligned around this simple, and obvious fact, with everyone making clear which one they are talking about. That would be a major upgrade to the conversation right there...

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - TomK - 11-29-2013

I'm confused about kalakoa's comment. There are a couple of thousand research papers about GMO safety but they are being buried? How come I can still read them? And lots of money is being spent doing that? I don't get it. What am I missing?

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - dragon2k - 11-30-2013

Labels. Labels. Labels.

Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Greg - 11-30-2013

The largest GMO Companies are;
Monsanto
Pioneer Hi-Bred Int.
Sygenta
Dow Agriscience
BASF
Bayer Cropscience

The 8 largest food Companies that use GMO(90% of food in Grocery stores) are;
Mars
General Mills
Kraft
Nestle
Pepsico
Coca Cola
Unilever

About Monsanto;
Monsanto was a pioneer in applying the biotechnology industry business model to agriculture, using techniques developed by Genentech and other biotech drug companies in the late 1970s in California. In this business model, companies invest heavily in research and development, and recoup the expenses through the use and enforcement of biological patents. Monsanto's application of this model to agriculture, along with a growing movement to create a global, uniform system of plant breeders' rights in the 1980s, came into direct conflict with customary practices of farmers to save, reuse, share and develop plant varieties.

[i] Its seed patenting model has also been criticized as biopiracy and a threat to biodiversity

To fight Monsanto, encourage biodiversity, insure healthy eating for your family, and stimulate the local economy; Buy locally produced organic food. Increased demand will lead to increased supply.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - kalakoa - 11-30-2013

Exactly my point: there are thousands of research papers that unequivocally claim GMO to be "perfectly safe". Evidence to the contrary is either suppressed or discredited.

For another semi-un-related example: use of tobacco products is (now) considered "unhealthful". Less than a hundred years ago, doctors recommended that people smoke. When I was a child, there was no concept of "second-hand smoke"; now it's considered harmful enough to warrant legislation. How long did it take for the relevant "research" to be taken seriously?

Just like those "wingnuts" with their climate change "theory"...

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - peteadams - 11-30-2013

"Less than a hundred years ago, doctors recommended that people smoke."

Especially doctors who were specifically paid for tobacco advertisements. Really, c'mon. "Less than a hundred years ago" biological research, along with the rest of scientific endeavors, was only starting to climb out of its infancy compared to today. And the body of knowledge that constitutes science today is now enormously larger and expanding on some exponential curve. Don't you possibly think we may have made some progress in objectively understanding the world around us? "Evidence to the contrary" like the Seralini study is discredited for good objective reasons, not due to some fictional conspiracy.

In any event, the GMO discussion I and others have been having is less directed at changing anyone's mind on Punaweb as it is to try to avoid having a scandalous anti-GMO bill passed into Hawai'i County law that could preclude the Big Island agricultural community and economy from benefiting from some of this scientific progress. And, not incidentally, making criminals out of farmers for utilizing this scientific progress.

"Buy locally produced organic food. Increased demand will lead to increased supply." Producing and buying more locally produced food, called organic or otherwise, is a great goal for the Big Island, definitely shared by local farmers. But let's not make criminals out of some of them.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Bullwinkle - 11-30-2013

INVESTIGATION OF REGULATED RICE IN COMMERCIAL RICE SAMPLES

USDA and FDA have been notified by Bayer CropScience that the company has detected trace amounts of regulated genetically engineered (GE) rice in samples taken from commercial long grain rice.
Both USDA and FDA have reviewed the available scientific data and concluded that there is no human health, food safety, or environmental concerns associated with this GE rice.

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentidonly=true&contentid=2006/08/0306.xml

this is the best bit - after the fact deregulation.....

Based on reports that LLRICE 601 is in the marketplace and a petition from Bayer, APHIS will conduct a deregulation process, including an opportunity for public comment.
Because the line of GE rice in question was regulated, APHIS is conducting an investigation to determine the circumstances surrounding the release and whether any violations of USDA regulations occurred.
The protein found in LLRICE 601 is approved for use in other products. It has been repeatedly and thoroughly scientifically reviewed and used safely in food and feed, cultivation, import and breeding in the United States, as well as nearly a dozen other countries around the world.
USDA is in the process of validating a test to provide the marketplace with a tool to detect the presence of the Liberty Link protein in rice. Bayer has made arrangements with several private laboratories to run the tests and will post that information on their website.

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Obie - 11-30-2013

This is starting to get ridiculous and a bit funny in a sad sort of way.

" Evidence to the contrary is either suppressed or discredited."
I assume kalakoa is referring to the discredited Seralini study.They used lab rats that are predisposed to come down with tumors.
The suppression is alleged because a former Monsanto employee was involved.Here is his statement.
"Food and Chemical Toxicology asked me to become an associate editor in January 2013 because of my extensive experience in the area, and after I complained about the Séralini study,” he says. “I am paid a small honorarium for handling manuscripts about biotechnology on a part-time basis, after hours. But I did not review the data in the Séralini study, nor did I have anything to do with the determination that the paper should be withdrawn from or retained by the journal."

And Greg,Really !

Be sure to pick up a healthy double loco tomorrow at Makuu. They are made with healthy Big Island eggs,beef and rice is non gmo.

And Bullwinkle shows up with outdated stuff from 7 years ago.What is your point?

RE: Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's - Greg - 11-30-2013

Obie really,

Do you have trouble finding good wholesome food locally? It is a challenge for a lot of people. I've converted, thanks to my wife's insistence that healthy eating isn't about convenience; That sometimes science, marketing, and convenience are more about Corporate profit than nutrition or health.

Read the label. Are BHT, Aspartame, and nitrites included for your good health; or shelf life, and profit?